Burgen V Hovis bread

lrw60

Dislikes
salads, meat, being bored
I bought a loaf of Burgen soya and linseed bread as suggested elsewhere. I like the bread a lot, great taste with a good texture. BUT even though the carb value is lower per 100grm than Hovis Nimble wholemeal, the carb value per slice is higher. Unless of course you reduce the size of slice of bread. I can't be bothered to do all that weighing etc so I am going back to the Hovis. Lazy or what?! :crazy:
Lee.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. You are right that it doesn't make a big difference and Burgen is pre-sliced whereas I slice my own Low-GI loaf and can slice it thinner

VickiT11979

Depends on loaf size - the 400g Burgen loaf has slices which are 9g carb, same as Nimble as far as I remember, it's just that the Nimble only comes in a small size & Burgen can be 400 or 800g.

lrw60

Dislikes
Hi Daibell,
Hertfordshire was where I used to live. Hemel Hempstead with our wonderfull magic roundabout. Now living in snow-free Cornwall. Thanks for the update Vicki, I do have the 800g and thought it was the only one available. I will keep an eye out for the smaller loaf. I saw yesterday that Morrisons had the Burgen for the first time since I started to look for it a few weeks back. I will check it out later and see if they sell the small loaf.
Lee

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Nimble bread has larger air spaces than Burgen, so the slices are much lighter in weight.
As other people have written it all depends on the weight of the slices, in other words the portion size.
Hana

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Lee. The Magic Roundabout still exists; saw a foreign car plate having 'fun' with it over the weekend!

amazinmo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
go to Burgen website and get a 30p off coupon i just love this bread make you feel full up compared to nimble

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
One slice of nimble wholemeal sends my bs much higher than a slice of burgen. The nimble is not much better than white bread with a GI of 69. Burgen has a GI of 47 or 49 (can't quite remember which :roll: ) it's not just the amount of carbs that matter but how refined the carbs are and how fast the carbs hit our bloodstream - for me the nimble is quite yucky anyway - a bit like eating cotton wool :lol:

lrw60

Dislikes
I have searched for the smaller loaf of Burgen here in Cornwall, around the Redruth area, I will try the Burgen website for the 30p off coupon, it might also tell me if I can get the smaller loaf round here. I might have to go to Asda 10 miles away. And as for you lovinglife. 98lb! excellent! I felt good losing 70lb. I usually manage to lose the taste of certain foods by having them with something else. I could never eat a tomato unless it was in a bottle with 'Heinz' on it or in amongst other cooked veg, salads? yuk!
Lee.