Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
please please tell me this is ok to eat because i just made it and it was the best thing i ever ate in my entire life.....

Coconut macaroons are very easy to make. They have only four ingredients, mix up easily, and require only 15 minutes to cook. The only trick, especially when not using sugar (which attracts moisture), is keeping them from being too dry. Here's how I do it.

Ingredients:
•2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
•4 egg whites from large eggs (should be about ½ cup)
•1 teaspoon vanilla extract
•1 cup sugar substitute (I like liquid forms of Splenda, with zero carbs)
•about 2 Tablespoons water

Preparation:

1) Heat oven to 375 F. Line baking sheet with either parchment paper on a silicone mat.
2) Measure egg whites. If they aren't quite ½ cup, add a little water to reach that level. Then add the vanilla, liquid sweetener if using, and water so that sweetener and water together equal 2 Tablespoons.

3) If using powdered sweetener, mix in with unsweetened coconut.

4) Mix dry and wet ingredients together. The mixture should just hold together. Let set a minute or two and you'll be able to mold them better.

5) Roll into balls a little bigger than an inch in diameter. Slightly flatten and put on baking sheet (whatever shape you put them in is how they will stay, so this is your chance). Put at least half an inch apart.

6) Turn down the oven to 325 F, and bake for about 15 minutes, but start checking them a couple of minutes before. You want them golden brown on the bottom, and just barely starting to brown on top (though if you like them a little crispier, bake a couple of minutes longer).

Makes about 14 cookies, but yield will vary based on size of the cookies.

Nutritional Information: Each cookie has 1 gram effective carbohydrate plus 2 grams fiber, 2 grams protein, and 76 calories.

i found this at
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/desser ... aroons.htm

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Andy DO NOT under any circumstances eat these PM me and I will give you an address to send them to where they can be disposed of safely :wink:

They sound yummy and something similar to what I make - enjoy!

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
yessssssssssssssssssssss woohoo thankyou :)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I can offer another address and I'll pay postage!!

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
lol sorry they are gone we are having a macaroon party ive eaten 2 now, the second was pure endulgence i was completely satisfied by the first i feel like i completely cheated and im waiting for the bs at twenty five in 2 hours, if it is normal im going to spontaniously combust :D

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Bet your wife was suprised how good they taste and yet so healthy for a diabetic!!

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
i am holding my breath for someone to say they are bad, she said its by far the best thing ive made so far :) i heated a little of that 85% really strong dark chocolate and drizzled a tiny bit over the top, they are way to good to be true im in shock, they are not just cauliflower mash yummy, they are like walking into a bakery and buying a delicious cake in fact i cant remember ever having a cake that tasted so good

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Omg Andy.... You will have your wife eating out the palm of YOUR hands!! I'll join the queue after her!!!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Sounds like you really are taking the position of Dominant Mesl Provider... And getting your wife on board too at the same time!! Good on you..

Think that is a resounding yes to your question.

Cant wait to read your next food question!!!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Have you a recipe for oatcakes biscuits?

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Andy, can you knock up a low carb version of my favourite sweet Tirolean dumpling? It's made from semolina and filled with pureed plums. The topping is crushed poppyseeds mixed with vanilla sugar and the sauce is a light vanilla sauce.

7942166006_8a588c2c5d.jpg

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Wow!!!! Thats a must have!!!

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
donnellysdogs said:
Wow!!!! Thats a must have!!!

OK if you are up and down steep alpine meadows cutting the grass with a scythe and then taking it to the cows for their winter fodder.

Not so good if you're sat at a desk in Yorkshire.

I think that's what they mean by lifestyle choices :)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Aaah, but I do just that... (well equivalent) Been clearing woodland and river embankments of stinging nettles since October!!! All dug out with spade, all roots cleared.. Have sheep and shire horse next to me, can that be feeding cow equivalent? I take carrots with me for the horse??

I know not everything good.. But it looks so fab, and once in a while I can treat myself!! **** well earning it with the manual work... Do have to take all the nettles uphill to be burnt too!!!

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Wow there are a lot of different tirolean dumplings but none low carb hehe sorry.

I fell asleep last night before I had chance to test my blood and as I never test in the morning I'll have to wait until next time I make the macaroons to find out, but everyone seems to think they are safe :) :)

Had ewelinas pizza again tonight, this time I did add the egg and it was terrific please if you haven't tried it have a search for it, it's really good :)

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Coconut! Vanilla! 1g carbohydrate! I know what I'll be doing tomorrow. If they taste as good as they sound may have to hide them!!!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Should be Ok
Anything is Ok if the portion is small enough.
Personally I loathe coconut, but for those who like it, it sounds very good.
Hana