need to rant, sorry

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
donnellysdogs said:
My conclusion this weekend is that in our relationships we seem to eat what the dominant food provider cooks and eats

I think that's right. Both Mrs Yorks and I kept putting on weight, occasionally dieting but since I got diabetes I do all the cooking and won't accept anything out of a jar, tin or readymeal pack. She still drinks wine, eats crisps, has cake and selects her chocolates but otherwise eats what I cook. I have lost 22.5kg and she, despite the snacking and her calorie packed lunches for work, has lost 4kg. King prawn curry for tea tonight from the Hairy Bikers' Book of Curries.

I am fortunate that she has not reacted to me taking over "her" kitchen, although she does tell me when she prefers her way of doing some dishes to my way of doing them.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Andy, Rosebud, Yorksman... You're all briliant... Absolutely. To be excited is brilliant too, as so many people just see it as a huge defeating challenge. Andy, the mere factthat your wife is joining you cooking this weekend shows a huge amount of understanding from her. It isnt easy for anybody being the Main Meal Provider to change their habits, I'monly just realising that!!

I just had our 'sparky' round.. Had discussion with him about 'dominant meal provider' .... He too is a 'DMP' and his girlfriend put on weight since being with him. He said it's when they go out for meals, he pays and doesnt want to appear mean- so he orders 3 courses. Well when he left he said they were goig out for a meal before pictures tonight.. And he was just going to order main courses. He also said that she loves a bar of galaxy or minstrels, but he always bought her family size ones because again he didnt want to appear mean. He actually said during our chat 'I'm killing her with kindness'....Both are non diabetic, but he's going to change to the portion sizes and patterns that his girlfriend used to eat, rather than changing her to his eating... Felt quite proud that first time I've actually talked to someone (other than hubby) in person, that they could see what I meant about a 'Dominant Meal Provider'.

So well done you 3.... Just fantastic!!!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Water.... Boring.. But there has been medical studies that show that when we think we want food.. A glass of water will supposedly fill you up!!

However, never tried it... I hate water.

I do have cucumber as fill me ups though.. As they have large water content and I love it. I don't have salt on anything and only eat limited processed foods like bread so I always have salt on my cucumber. Fills me up and I love it!!

Sugar free jelly quite a goodie if wanting something sweet.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Rosebud said:
Sorry I pressed send by mistake.Can you help me with the hunger pangs please I hope all is well with you all

Prof Taylor's advice includes:

d) Recognise that the sensation of hunger is sign of success, not a signal to eat.
e) Enjoy that hunger. Celebrate with a glass of water. Maybe fizzy water.

I don't get pangs so often now but I keep a bottle of cheapo cheapo calorie and carbohydrate free lemonade in the fridge and, rather than water, I squeeze the juice of a freshly squeezed lemon into a large glass of the ice cold lemonade. It's sour and its fizzy and its cold and the pangs just disappear. Also has the benefit that the acidity of the lemon helps a little with insulin sensitivity and those yellow strands of lemon fruit flesh contain soluable fibre. Those pangs do eventually disappear though.

If you need to bite on something, I sometimes use a whole baby gem lettuce with a small amount of oil and rather more vinegar, cider or lemon, to make a dressing. I often add herbs. It's quite a lot to eat for few calories which is mostly the oil. Again, it does you more good than harm. Sour tastes seem to stop me feeling hungry.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Prof Taylor's advice includes:

d) Recognise that the sensation of hunger is sign of success, not a signal to eat.

i do this hehe, sometimes its easier than others but when i can i think of hunger as a positive thing

i have an emergency packet of blue diamond almonds with sea salt, they are very salty and make me thirsty so i eat the nuts then drink water, only down side is i dont want to eat the next meal *shrug*.

yes the jellies are great, im using "myfitnesspal" and if i have only eaten like 700 cals that day i have a jelly with fresh double cream, the more cals i need the more cream i have and it seems to satisfy me and the app :)

if im very hungry at night i get as comfortable as possible on the sofa put something boring on tv and fall asleep lol works a treat, but its easy after leaving the house and 6am and getting home at 7pm then the next thing i know is waking to the prospect of my yogurt and fruit for brekkie :)

Rosebud

Thanks Andy
Where will I get the blue almonds ?
I love salty things.
.I asked DN to change my insulin to another insulin she said I would have to gain a flipping stone before the Consultant will consider changing the Novamix 30 .
Well you could have knocked me down with a feather.
You would think they would be interested in weight gain( Not interested at all)
I'm up at 6am as well Andy so I feel your pain hehe thank god we have a job.
Small plate tonight with fish and chips and looking forward to it
I hope you all have a brilliant weekend
Thanks for listening
Rosebud

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
It's my 15th wedding anniversary today and we celebrated with cauliflower pizza lol, I know how to show her a good time huh, I can't eat fish and chips but boy am I jealous :) that's really inspiring telling you to gain a stone I love doctors!

Rosebud

Happy anniversary Andy to you and your other half.
Well done you too on the food choice
There will be no weight gain in your house
Yes the fish and chips were lovely but I only had a small plate full
Dreading the weekend but hope I can keep cutting down.
Good luck to you all
Rosebud

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Weekends are the hardest for me too, in the week I can stay busy and not think about it, but weekends it's harder with more time on my hands, this weekend I'm doing another installment to my garden pond that has taken me 2 years so far if the weather permits, anything beats sitting watching food ads on the tv :) , nah it's not that hard :) all our inner strength and all, oh I reached 2 stone off today hehe, I actually did a dance at 5:45 on the scale

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Thankyou :) haven't been this light since I was 20 didn't think I would ever be again....now for the next 2 stone....