Diagnosed last Thursday 28th or was I?

carlrr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Arguments
Something I forgot about I had 2 glasses of red wine, probably the reason my BG went lower than it has been since I was diagnosed
Get it will be up to 14-15 in the morning
2 red wines could possibly provide a false sense of "going in the right direction" :( :(

carlrr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Arguments
I was right the BG reading was 15.5 this morning, and a check 2 hours later shows 21.1 so last nights wine gave a false sense of security

Richard871

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality tv
Geocacher said:
Hi Carlrr,

For starters make sure your being prescribed the slow release metformin, the usual brand name is Glucophage SR though I've had some other brands through the years. They will say slow release or modified release somewhere on the package, look for it. If it's not there ask to get the slow release version, you'll have far less problems with side effects than you would with the generic metformin. It's a medication that's been used for years and with good results. Be aware that it may over the course of a few years metformin may cause B12 deficiency, it's easily treated and easy to find if you get a yearly B12 test. Also ask for a meter and test strips, testing is easier than you may think even if you don't like giving blood. Papercuts are worse and it's better to know if your blood sugar is high or low than to guess.

I've Been on standard metformin and had a couple of real close calls. Luckily I've been close to the toilet as it's not a pleasant thought if I hadn't of been.
Extreme bloated feeling after taking them. Slow release does help immensely. The nurse changed me over when I explained the side effects.
I'm not prepared to **** myself while I'm getting used to a cheaper option just for a budget.
She didn't question or argue. In fact she said quite a few have this problem and SR sorts it out. Means my trips out aren't so much a game of Russian roulette anymore lol
In my opinion if you're not sure or don't know ask. If you're fobbed off and dismissed keep asking.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

elaine77

u really need to come down though as the amount of damage you could be doing being that high is frightening! Haven't they given you your blood results yet? I think u need to start pushing a few buttons, it's not good for ur eyes to come down immediately but it's just as bad for your eyes and everything else to stay that high... I got an 8.6 after evening meal last night (i have a bad cold ATM) and I was devastated! I couldn't cope with levels as high as yours it could be making you worse as you are probably exhausting or killing and beta cells u might have left.... I would defo encourage you to demand something from one of your healthcare providers...

carlrr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Arguments
I am a bit more understanding now because of everybodys help, and the Metformin and Gliclezide have not done a thing, my diet is pretty much spot on very low GI carbs and having regular meals and yet im still between 15 and 21 with spikes of 26
The only thing that did bring my levels down was 2 glasses of red wine and then it was 8.8

The one thing I do know because of the great advice is that I do need to get the BG levels down instantainiously and another few weeks will not be an option so I wont be letting them fob me off

I am not sure if I can demand insulin saying that though if I went into A&E they would probably abmit me and put me on isulin anyway

On another note, I havent had any side effects from the Metformin so I dont really see the need to ask for SR as the one I got dont work and they dont affect me.

Basically I cant run my business without being able to read either so a 6 month settling down period is not a good thing

So I will be trying to get this sorted as soon as I possibly can really in the nicest way

carlrr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Arguments
Tonight 2 glasses of wine brought my BG reading down again 9.9, its amazing the meds wont bring my sugars down but alcohol will, and they will be back to the usual pattern tomorrow and be 15+
I am going to try 25g of porridge tonight to see if its slow release qualities reduce my morning reading

May as well experiment now as the NHS are happy to leave my levels this high

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
carlrr said:
I am a bit more understanding now because of everybodys help, and the Metformin and Gliclezide have not done a thing, my diet is pretty much spot on very low GI carbs and having regular meals and yet im still between 15 and 21 with spikes of 26
The only thing that did bring my levels down was 2 glasses of red wine and then it was 8.8

The one thing I do know because of the great advice is that I do need to get the BG levels down instantainiously and another few weeks will not be an option so I wont be letting them fob me off

I am not sure if I can demand insulin saying that though if I went into A&E they would probably abmit me and put me on isulin anyway

On another note, I havent had any side effects from the Metformin so I dont really see the need to ask for SR as the one I got dont work and they dont affect me.

Basically I cant run my business without being able to read either so a 6 month settling down period is not a good thing

So I will be trying to get this sorted as soon as I possibly can really in the nicest way
Hello Carlrr.

When is the soonest you can actually see a DSN or diabetes consultant ?

You can try writing down all the points you wish to raise .
[ you can add in about running your own buisness with difficulty raise your concern with a 6months term of trial ask
if they would consider less given your work and mention the constant high BG levels ]
Take along some high readings you have had - if you wish .

Plus think of any questions you would like to ask at your appt and jot them down .
Maybe think about taking a family member or friend along with you for moral support.
Explain your concerns and discuss options with them to improve your high BG levels .

Your thinking and reasoning of getting things sorted out in a calm pleasant nice way is to be respected carlrr .
Am sure it will achieve 'positive results for you' .
When a patient talks without demanding things the tone of controlled clarity is certainly heard clearer and will be seen
as more positive .
You will probably find the DSN or consultant will work with you rather than against you with this approach .

They actually dont mind a small list of questions and do see it as proactive too . :thumbup:
It shows you are thinking about things and have reasoned things out enough to raise the question
Most 'are' happy to help and answer these .

I hope things go well for you when you next see the DSN/GP or diabetes consultant.
They can and do try the diet only or the tablets meds firstly before moving onto other options 'if' this fails to work
with better control of constant too high BG levels.

Hope this can help you carlrr.

Do let us know how things go .

Anna.

elaine77

Hi Carl,

I find vodka does exactly the same for me, it's weird isn't it how alcohol can effect BG so much?

With regard to speaking to your medical professionals I hope they are understanding and are prepared to listen and do appreciate a calm approach . My GP surgery is nothing to write home about but I can't fault my endo consultant he has been really great.

I posted about my own personal experience in the Gestational Diabetes section and I wasn't the only one with an experience like that so I really hope you have some good doctors/nurses where you are, because we all need to seek advice from our medical team but ultimately it's your health and you need to protect it at all costs so I really hope you get it sorted soon or at least get your blood results back anyway so your medical team can give you a better idea about your condition going forward.

Also thank you for your message thanking me for my advice...it's good to know that I'm helping people with my own personal opinions and experiences :)

Diagnosed with GD in 2010, Completely disappeared postpartum. Re-diagnosed December 2012 with type 1.5 diabetes, age 26, BMI 23 currently controlled by only Metformin, 500mg twice a day.

carlrr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Arguments
The porridge before bed seems to have had an effect my BG was 13 this morning

I am seeing the Nurse tomorrow and I will be making a list, that's a great idea

blackcat79

The wine helps cos it stops the liver kicking anything out hence wht when u get out on the drink u always want to eat near the end of the night cis blood dugars r low. My DN told me to have a glass or two but to only do it five nights a wk so to give the liver a break nbtjen no damage will be do. Dont have sweet wines etc tho.
As for porridge i have it inbthe mornings it spikes me but i need the eneryg for work as i dont get lunch i try a snack at 1.30 pm but thats all so the spike works well with my meds to so i dont get hypos due to lack of carbs.
Sue

carlrr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Arguments
My BG is very high so I have no chance of a hypo, I am constantly in hyper, one thing I did notice last night after wine I did a ketone test and it did raise it had gone back down this morning though

carlrr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Arguments
Today I had a smoothie, just a glass and also 25g of porridge as a snack it took my BG up to 23.5 and then an hour later it is down to 12.7
I seem to spike very high at the moment but then fruit is a simple and fast acting carb and does provide a quick burst of energy, so I am assuming that was the cause

Siwan

I don't know if this has been mentioned before but I always though that smoothies (as well as juices) were something to avoid. What I understood is that smoothies are fruit (or veg) completely broken down into a liquid which means that the sugars or carbs in them can be absorbed very quickly into the blood stream which would then cause your BG to spike. The same fruit or veg eaten whole would be a better option as the body has to break down the food first so that any sugars/ carbs are absorbed at a slower (and better) rate by the body and sudden changes in your BG are then avoided. I may be wrong but it's something worth considering if you drink lots of smoothies or juices . . .

carlrr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Arguments
I am sure you are right as fruit or veg eaten whole will need to be digested before they get into the blood stream so this will slow the process down, they will spike though thin is how much damage is a quick spike up and down cause
Fruits are simple carbs so are in and out of the blood stream quite quickly, veg is slightly different as they are complex and act slower and tend not to spike so much
I get what you are saying though, but from 13 to 23 is a big spike

LCW

Dislikes
Depends on the day!
Hi there--I was diagnosed type 2 mid February and it has been interesting picking up on all the good advice on this blog, and with each post, a lttle more understanding of the intricate world we diabetics become submerged in enters my brain, so thankyou for that.

I employed a young woman with type 1 in a business I had several years ago. One thing I shall always remember about her and how she treated her diabetes, was apart from the obvious injections, she always seemed to be drinking water at every opportunity. One thing I haven't seen on the forum, although it's probably here somewhere, is if this ishould be an important part our daily practice. I forget to drink much any day, apart from the odd tea, or glass of red wine with dinner, and dont have a particular problem with thirst apart from at pre diagnosis.

It would be helpful to know if when faced with high spiking when trying to gain control, if drinking a substantial amount of fluid/ water, would have a pretty quick effect.

A point that Carlrr may find helpful to hear is that I started to get a grasp, like he is, on what affects my readings and had some succesful BG bursts once even getting as low as 5.4. My initial fasting level was 17.5 so cause for celebration.

What threw me totally after all my hard work and learning was that a recent family problem upset me deeply which in turn had a massive effect on my readings for the past two weeks. The more anxious I got, the harder they were to control.

Its hard to fathom as Newbies just how much anxiety can scupper the whole process and I have had a sharp learning curve. Whilst Carlrr is trying very hard to understand and manage his diabetes, he is being hindered by perhaps having to push for more positive and faster action from healthcare providers.This surely cannot be helping his search gor lower BGs as it is all very worrying when your'e trying to stop yourself from falling off a cliff and no-one's throwing you the rope in front of them.

carlrr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Arguments
LCW

You hit the nail on the head, I have found that I get more information from this forum than I do from the NHS actually the nurse gave me a leaflet and told me I probably know more about diets than she does and then rushed me out of the room ready for the next patient, I did have a load of leaflets though, the leaflets actually contradicts what people on this forum are saying.
However I have found that the forum seems to tell me the right things and the leaflet tends not to seem right
My reading was 13.7 this morning and I see the nurse today at 2, I will be asking for a insulin course

elaine77

Ask for your blood results too Carl as it would be helpful for you to know your prognosis and diagnosis! I'm surprised it has taken this long. Good luck!

Diagnosed with GD in 2010, Completely disappeared postpartum. Re-diagnosed December 2012 with type 1.5 diabetes, age 26, BMI 23 currently controlled by only Metformin, 500mg twice a day.

carlrr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Arguments
They gave me my blood results on my last visit apparently I was of her chart which goes up to 130, if I remember I was 148 somthing like that over a 3 month period

elaine77

I meant your c-peptide and whether or not you have antibodies? Did you get those back? I might have missed the post

carlrr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Arguments
The reading today at the nurse was 19 she has put me on Lantum 12 Units per day and I am waiting fro an appointment from the hospital
Does anyone use Lantum?