Excellent HBA1C -Thank you DCUK

Lolagirl

I was diagnosed 31.12.12 with a HBA1C of 9.6 and with very little support from the NHS. I couldnt tolerate Metformin so had to stop taking it.

I was very grateful to have found this forum and follwed advice on low carb diets.

Just had my three month review and have a HBA1C of 5.8.

I am amazed and so is the nurse and she wanted to know how I had achieved such a good result without taking my meds. Told her I was following a low carb diet and she advised me to continue.

Thank you Diabetes.co.uk - You have changed my life for the better.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 15 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Re: Excellent HBA1C -Thank you DCUK

Excellent! well Done! :) you are an inspiration to the rest of us :)

Reactions: 2 people

Knapweed

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Well done, I hope I can continue in the same vein for years to come.

Lolagirl

'Do you have a meter? If you do, how often do you test and do you get the testing strips on prescription?'

I test two hours after eating something different but over the last three months I have got to know what doesnt spike my BG so I dont waste a test strip. I dont get a prescription because according to the nurse I dont need to test.

She also said it was not possible to control my BG without meds - I guess I showed her.

Thanks for positive comments everyone.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Great reduction :thumbup:

RES

Hello I'm new to this forum
4 weeks ago I was told that I had abnormal glucose levels of 7.7
Told to go home and stay off the sugary stuff
Found my way to this forum and never looked back
Today got the results of my second blood tests given to me by the receptionist it was 5.9
Told no further action was needed totally confused spoke to the doctor she said I had reversed diabetes
How was my question. She asked me what had i done I replied lost weight nearly a stone and stayed away from food that was sugary. Great come back in a year.
Not sure what to do now except carry on as if I am diabetic
I am 52 and originally went to the doctor about high cholesterol

Rose

Lolagirl

Hi RES , I would still be careful about what you are eating to make sure the glucose levels dont creap back up again. Im going to continue with my low carb diet with the occasional treat so I dont feel deprived.

Dupont

Absolutely well done!

I was diagnosed with a hba1c of 55 by my gp in Jan 2013.

Just had my follow up hba1c and am nervously waiting.

I have not eaten sweets, cake, pasta, white bread, white rice, pastry, biscuit in 90 days and have watched carbs.

Lost 2 stones and still managed to get a few drinks in.

Exercising like a demon.

No offer of test strips, nurse, dietician or anything. Dr handed me one piece of paper and said follow that. ***? :clap:

I salute you all and await my own results. :thumbup:

legion

I would like to add my heartfelt thanks to everyone on here too. I was diagnosed in October last year with a fasting blood test of 15 and hba1c of 11.5. I was unhappy with the advice given by my GP and turned to all you folks for advice. I take metformin 500mg twice a day and adopted a very low carb diet based on the information available here. I have lost 20 kilos almost without noticing it and my hba1c last week came back at 37 (5.5 old money). Thanks to all.

Diane type 2

I have had the same reaction at my surgery and DN. Insistent only meds was the way forward. Said I would like 12 weeks diet control and got a very negative reaction. I feel very unsupported by the surgery which was not so in other health areas in the past. There are such a variety of opinions on treatment of type 2 varies from surgery to surgery. We are caught in the middle. Am trying the low carb and have lost a stone, so hoping that Hb1ac at end of May will reflect this. Started at 7.5, although the figures seem to be changing how they quote the sugar levels. The DN quotes in % ie. 6.5% for me then the doctor quoted different figures like 64 and wanting to aim at below 45. Confused doesn't even describe me!

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)

I wouldn't thank Duk. its the forum members that deserve the thanks. DUK doesnt do low carb nor recommend it.
Well done anyway.

Lolagirl

Please dont presume to tell me who I should and shouldnt thank. If it wasnt for finding this website and forum I would have been completely unsupported. I do thank Diabetes.co.uk (DCUK) for providing a host of information on the various options for me as T2 and that includes providing information on low carb diets among many others. It allowed me to make an informed decision. Yes the forum members have been helpful too but if it wasn't for DCUK the forum members wouldnt have the forum to discuss their issues.

All I wanted to do was acknowledge the website that helped me gain control of my diabetes and hopefully encourage someone else who is just starting out.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type

I wouldn't presume, nor tell anyone what to do, it was a personal opinion.
Just going on a letter that was received from them thats all. If it wasn't for the forum members I wouldn't have been any the wiser as to what I should be eating.

Fiona I

You have encourage me massivly :D My last hbac1 was 9.0 and apparently only 7.5 or lower is acceptable.
I take 4 500mg metformin tablets a day.
Have been self testing on meter I had to buy but nurse will provide 1 lot of test strips every 3 months :x
Howeverr I have been low carbing for a week now and have results already, so my thanks to the forum members for thier answers to my questions at this daunting time x

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type

It is daunting Fiona and scary and depressing, when you realise this is it. I low carb, but its not made any difference to my BG levels. or weight. But I dread to think if I had followed the advice of the DN and dietician what I would be like now. I found this forum and the members have been marvellous.

Sketcher

Dislikes
Other people's cats in my garden

Hello Rose. I'm a bit late replying to your comment about the medicos saying you have reversed diabetes. It really annoys me when the so-called experts use terms like "reversed" or " cured" about diabetes; it shows that they really don't understand it. What they should say is "Congratulations! You are controlling your diabetes very well."

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)

Congratulations Lolagirl :clap: thats a great improvement :thumbup:

Sketcher said:
It really annoys me when the so-called experts use terms like "reversed" or " cured" about diabetes; it shows that they really don't understand it. What they should say is "Congratulations! You are controlling your diabetes very well."

This seems to be a common view Sketcher, I think that surgery nurses are not used to seeing well controlled T2's so when they do see one they assume they are cured. Its odd that when patients are diagnosed with other conditions, say high BP, they are given meds to help control them, when they achieve that control they dont have their meds stopped do they?

But with diabetes it seems different, as soon as they see you doing well they assume you are cured and stop your meds....Its a common theme here, someone posts that they have achieved an HbA1c in the 5%'s and they have their Metformin stopped. It wouldnt happen with any other condition that I can think of.

The answer then seems to me to be that they are so unused to seeing good control that they assume wrongly that the patient is "cured". Of course it is rare for good control to come to most without some sort of lifestyle change mainly in the reduction of carbs in the diet and I think this is why it is rare for T2's to present with well controlled bg levels. We know that studies have shown that low carbing works in the short term but not in the long term, is this because it is hard to stick with or is there another reason?

Of course anyone can cut carbs and get good results for a few months but it is the long haul that is the tricky bit.

bernie.freeman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
selfish people

Well done Lolagirl, you have done so well !!!

I went to my GP last May and because my HBA1C was 6 she took me off meds, I have recently gone back and asked for januvia as I couldn't tolerate metformin. she was very reluctant to prescribe it as she said that my diabetes was well controlled. i agreed but added that i would like a little more help to get it even better controlled and to delay any further complications. Why do we have to go cap in hand for medication ?? We are surely saving the NHS money by controlling our diabetes with minimum medication that lowers the onset of complications.

Well done once again.

Bernie
:clap: