Test strips and prescriptions

I've been hearing a lot about test strips and not being able to get them on prescription, can anyone enlighten me I was told that I would get them on prescription for the rest of my life, is this not true?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
If you're type 1 you should have test strips... Whether you can get enough is another matter..

That's the current situ... But we all know how policys change!!

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
The rest of your life is a looooooong time ! hope you do !

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
So agree Mo1905!! I had strips now for an eternity, but hopefully for next generations to come they'll be technological improvements at lower prices for nhs and so many people that end up buying extras on line.

I get a hundred a month and the GP is telling me in using to many but I use 50 in at least 10 days, I don't understand what the issue is my DN told me that they aren't a large amount of money yet they still get picky

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Jordan

A 100 a month is nothing... To keep good control I use at least 8 a day..... Plus the fact I drive at least 2-4 times a day. I could not survive as a fellow type 1 on just 100 a month. I currently have 300.

Bisto44

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, I'm currently being asked to test at least 7 times a day ( before & after each leal and before bed - as a minimum. So that's at least 50 a week, luckily my surgery doesn't question and prescribe me 300 at a time ! I am imagine it's probably another post code lottery ?

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Selfish people, arseholes who think they know it all, ignoramuses, chavs and people with no manners. People who play music on the bus or train full blast on their phones.
I guess it's all down to the interpretation and level of understanding your GP has of diabetes. My GP has a son my age who is also typw 1, so he is very understanding and is aware of the importance of testing your blood glucose levels. Others simply see it as a 'drain' ont their budget and reources I'm afraid. Tell you what though. I don't know what I'd do without my prescription exemption card!!! Have a word with him/her again or get you diabetic team to contact them to reiterate the vital role glucose testing plays in calculating the insulatin dosages that you have to take. It's worth a try, no promises here, but as the old saying goes, if you don't ask you don't get.
Good luck

Mart

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My prescription is for 100, but I can say I want 2x or 3x that if I want. Like many I drive upwards of 3 times a day, it is a legal requirement for me to test before this therefore they are obligated to provide me with the means to do so.

Basically I can have all the strips I like, whenever I like.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Jordan Brandon said:
I've been hearing a lot about test strips and not being able to get them on prescription, can anyone enlighten me I was told that I would get them on prescription for the rest of my life, is this not true?

Type 2's do find it hard to get test strips on prescription which is a disgrace IMHO, however as a type 1 you should not be restricted to test strips although there's been quite a few of us who have had to argue with their gp's about the quantity they will prescribe, should you come across this then I suggest you ask your diabetes consultant to intervene and write to your gp.

I think that might be a good idea when I went to collect my first prescription he gave me a pack of 50 test strips and didn't prescribe any gluco gel because and I quote "sugar cubes work equally as well"

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Jordan Brandon said:
I think that might be a good idea when I went to collect my first prescription he gave me a pack of 50 test strips and didn't prescribe any gluco gel because and I quote "sugar cubes work equally as well"

You need to get him to prescribe the gluco gel as well if this is going to be your method of treating a hypo, Gluco Tabs, Jelly Babies or Lucozade work just as well, also you need him to prescribe a Glucogon Kit which you must keep in the fridge for emergencies where you unable to treat a hypo yourself, here is some info about the Glucogon Kit:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-medi ... n-kit.html

As for the 50 strips, if you test 6-8 times a day this isn't going to be anywhere near enough and will only last you a week tops, ask him to prescribe at least 200 to see you over the period of a month.