Injecting

sarah1282

Hey guys im hoping for a few tips.
Im a newbie ive just started injecting today and I do it at a 90 degree angle but when I pull the nededle out it stings for a while. Is this normal?
Also after injecting theres still a little drop of insulin left on the needle is that normal.
Sorry I just wanna make sure im injecting correctly.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
there's usually a bit of insulin left on the needle. As for injecting, some hurt, most don't. If yours always hurt, see your nurse. What size needles do you use ? 4mm is plenty !

JCarter90

Most fast acting insulins tend to sting temporarily after you remove the needle , I know it's hard not to but try not to rub the injection site afterwards have always been advised this , it will become second nature after a while , and regarding the pain after injections , unfortunately there's not much you can do , you will get used to that as well .

choudhry

@ Mo1905

Hope you will be okay. Today i been to see diabtic nurse regarding pain during injecting and pins and needle in foot.
I asked for 4mm needle insted of 5mm , the answer was " there is nothing 4mm in screen"
No useful advice given for pain free injection.
Then i asked if she could see the blood glucose tests i been doing at home and writing them daily in diary and then decide whether i continue with oral aswell.
She didnt even showed interest in my bg diary.
Been told to come back if any thing is wrong!!!

I think i am getting more help and assistance here.

Not really happy today because of this :sad:

Thanks

choudhry

@ sarah1282

Yeah thats the best thing to look for another nurse who is more helpful... You know we all here are married to one single person called "diabeties " and to look after this special person we need a good nurse.:cool:

I am on insulin since 28th last month and alot of people here helped me alot , specially mo1905 told me to help pain get 4mm needles....
So thanks alot every one

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
sarah1282 said:
Hey guys im hoping for a few tips.
Im a newbie ive just started injecting today and I do it at a 90 degree angle but when I pull the nededle out it stings for a while. Is this normal?
Also after injecting theres still a little drop of insulin left on the needle is that normal.
Sorry I just wanna make sure im injecting correctly.

With the smaller needles there's no need to inject at an angle. I think the stinging might just be because your new to injecting and you may not notice it as much as time goes by, inevitably there's always going to be a drop of insulin at the tip of the needle when you withdraw but its nothing to worry about.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The BD site has some info on how to inject with both the smaller (4 and 5mm) and the larger needles.
http://www.bd.com/us/diabetes/page.aspx ... 2&id=62855
Sometimes when I start to inject and place the point on the skin I realise that place is going to hurt; presumably there are more nerves there. I stop and move the site slightly. (still do that with my pump cannula).
I have a feeling that if you expect it to hurt then you will tense up and that makes it more likely to hurt. Maybe difficult to overcome this. Telling yourself to relax is sometimes counterproductive but at least remembering to breathe (ie not holding your breath) might help
I know that some of the parents use anaesthetic cream (Emla) obtained on prescription) before injecting and I think that I have read of others rubbing the area with an ice cube to numb it. You could certainly try the latter.

merrymax69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Sarah

I've been injecting just over a month myself with Nova rapid and Lantus, at first I had 8mm needles which bruised and stung, now using 4mm without any discomfort. I sometimes can feel over sensitive at an injection site and I just stop and move needle away from area.
I always have a stinging sensation adter injecting Lantus but ive been told its because it is more acidic than Nova rapid :-(

Hope you can get the smaller needles!