HELP NEEDED. type 1

jodi932

hello ive just been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes on thursday.
im home with my own insulin and glucose testing . i have to test 4 times a day.
ive just tested before my food and took my insulin and it was 20.3 and 0.3 ketone. i then tested again hour later, went to 21.2 and 0.1 ketone. then ive tested another hour later and its 20.2 and 0.0 ketone.. what would you adive me to do to bring my glucose level down? i havent stopped reading it up all weekend im getting confused over it all . thanks

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Hi Jodi and welcome. What sort of insulin do you take ? If you take a fast acting insulin with food and a slower acting background ( basal ) insulin then your doses may need adjusting. However, as you are so recently diagnosed, it may take a few days to lower your blood glucose levels. What were your readings prior to this ? I would give your nurse a call in the morning and they may adjust dose.Good luck ;-)

jodi932

hello,
im on novomix 30 flexi pen and 10 units at morning 8 units at night.
my reading at lunch was 10.3.
Thanks for you advise :)

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Sounds like your nurse or doctor may adjust dose. It's early days and there will be a lot of trial and error. The foods which will cause your levels to rise are carbs,ie, bread, pasta, rice, potatoes etc. If you try to reduce these a little, it will help ! Let us know how you get on !

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

jodi932

Oh right they told me to eat them carbs and keep it as part of my main meal. Well ive got doctor appointment tomorrow just talk to him I guess. Thank you for replying :)

Deanna_Griff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
• Minging hypos
• Uncontrollable highs
• People who think I can’t eat doughnuts.. haha
Hi Jodi, I was diagnosed type 1 in February, I was exactly like you, my blood sugar was high for a week, it will take time for it to level out, mine have only just levelled out. I remember they set my morning novo rapid to 6 units, my midday at 6 and my evening at 8. My Lantus (background) insulin was set at 20 and it still is 20 :). Perhaps you should ring your diabetic nurse and let her know, she can change your doses then, I rang my nurse every other day to let her know what my blood sugars were and each time i rang her she'd change my dosage :)

jodi932

Thata good to hear that in time it will level out. Its worrying to see it high. But as you said it will be for a while. . My diabetic nurse works monday to friday and she will be ringing me in the morning . Best leave it to then? Im sure ill be fine till then?

Deanna_Griff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
• Minging hypos
• Uncontrollable highs
• People who think I can’t eat doughnuts.. haha
Well, my sugars were around 18 - 21 like yours, I spoke to a friend of mine who got diagnosed 2 months i think before me and she said that if your sugars are still high before bed, to inject 1 unit, so I did, it brought my sugar down by 3, you could try that, also what i was doing was putting my alarm to go in the middle of the night to check my sugars to see if the 1 unit did an improvement and it did. If you don't want to inject 1 unit before bed just make sure to drink plenty of water to flush those ketones away!:), but yea I think you'll be fine, speak to your nurse/doctor tomorrow :)

Akash

I defo wouldn't worry, thats exactly what happened to me. Your nurse or diabetic team will adjust your levels, for a couple of weeks or until you start carb counting. Your ketones seem fine, if there over 1 then i would advise calling up, but its normal so don't worry!

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Deanna_Griff said:
Well, my sugars were around 18 - 21 like yours, I spoke to a friend of mine who got diagnosed 2 months i think before me and she said that if your sugars are still high before bed, to inject 1 unit, so I did, it brought my sugar down by 3, you could try that, also what i was doing was putting my alarm to go in the middle of the night to check my sugars to see if the 1 unit did an improvement and it did. If you don't want to inject 1 unit before bed just make sure to drink plenty of water to flush those ketones away!:), but yea I think you'll be fine, speak to your nurse/doctor tomorrow :)

Please do not inject 1 unit! This worked for Deanna as the insulin regime is different. The novomix is different to a basal/bolus split and so the same principles do no apply in the same way.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
jodi932 said:
yes i would not inject more unless my nurse advised me too.. as i dont want anything further to go wrong.

If in doubt always speak to your DSN first :) your ketones were 0.0 so having your BG a lite high will make you feel yuck but is manageable short term while you wait for a reply. If you had ketones still I'd have been a bit wary. It seems you're doing a good job of monitoring things though!

jodi932

yes she is ringing me this morning. so i shall speak to her about it all then and see what she has to say.
when do you test for ketones only once the machine tells you to right? when above 17.0.
im trying my best :)

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I e not had to test since 2 days after diagnosis as my BG dropped quickly, so yes when you're meter says you're high you should check.

For me, if you had ketones and then had your BG drop I would still double check the test after you to make sure they're no longer there! But that would be my preference, not sure if that's the official line your doctor would take

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
That's good ! It'll take a little trial and error but you'll get there and sounds like you're being well looked after ;-)