Carrying insulin and blood glucose kit on a night out

Lynds90

I have my friends hen night coming up soon and this will be my first night out since being diagnosed as a type 1. I am worried about carrying blood glucose meter and insulin into night clubs. Has anyone had a problem with this before? Any help/advice would be much appreciated :D

Cody

U go out and enjoy ur night as everyone else will . Just make sure u check blood bigoted bed or keep readings slightly higher than normal as we all know eating a 10g-20g carb snack with no insulin before bed when alcohol is involved is a good idea

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hello Lynds90.

Here is another thread we have had on this to read through .
Hope it can help viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34402

All I would suggest is keep a card or written letter with your diabetic details on in your handbag .
Just in case any security or bouncer asks any awkward questions...
Should you need to actually take your insulin in with you .

Also the kipling handbag range are a great handbag - to carry all your kit in plus all your girly things too .
Very roomy and tidy to get everything nicely in yet look so fashionable and funky too :thumbup:

Hope this helps .

Anna.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Lynds90 said:
That was really helpful to read and those handbags are lovely, just gotta wait till payday :p thanks for your help.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Know what you mean - I am saving up for an Alvar black laquer one :)
Have already got both a laquer red and a laquer silver one .
Ebay is a great place to try and snap one up cheaper :thumbup:

They're great for keeping your kits in plus insulin pens etc make up/purse/ perfume/mobile etc.
Light weight too and can worn on a shoulder or across the body .

Anna.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Those bags are awesome, great idea! I've not tried the night out since diagnosis yet, just a glass of wine at home drops me too far for my liking. I have a friends birthday in a few weeks which in going to but just going to have one or two drinks. Thankfully she's a dietician so fully understands my caution! Don't need to get drunk to enjoy myself anyway :)

Embabe25

As a former nightclub bouncer. You should have no problem taking your meter into a club as long as you have your card with you. You shouldn't need your insulin with you but if you do take it, say your out all day then go straight to the club you may be asked to leave it with them. They aren't doing this to steal it or be awkward. They are doing it because it could potentially be used as a weapon. Or you may lose it and some else may find it and try to use it.

As for the glucagon kit you will definitely be asked to leave it at the door as its a vial and actual syringe! Make sure you get a receipt for your meds. If the club is worth being in they should have a first aid room and dedicated first aider you should speak to them and make them aware of your diabetes.

Don't drink too much and make sure you have something yummy to eat after. Go mad and have a kebab!

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Embabe25 said:
As a former nightclub bouncer. You should have no problem taking your meter into a club as long as you have your card with you. You shouldn't need your insulin with you but if you do take it, say your out all day then go straight to the club you may be asked to leave it with them. They aren't doing this to steal it or be awkward. They are doing it because it could potentially be used as a weapon. Or you may lose it and some else may find it and try to use it.

As for the glucagon kit you will definitely be asked to leave it at the door as its a vial and actual syringe! Make sure you get a receipt for your meds. If the club is worth being in they should have a first aid room and dedicated first aider you should speak to them and make them aware of your diabetes.

Don't drink too much and make sure you have something yummy to eat after. Go mad and have a kebab!

What on earth is a glucagon kit?!?!?

Embabe25

Sorry glucagen kit

It's an inject that can be given if you go so low you lose consioness can't spell the bloody word and my autocorrect isn't helping either lol.

Someone else has to give it to you. It's only useful at home because its kept in the fridge. I got mine when I was pregnant. Just looked and its out of date better order another

Diddly

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry but I would not be leaving my life saving meds with anyone, do all crutches have to be left as they can be used as a weapon?

Lynds90

I just don't want to leave my insulin in the apartment in case something goes wrong, like losing the key, got to prepare for the worst. Not got a glucagen kit, just one of the blood sugar monitoring kits :) thanks everyone for your help, looking forward to the kebab the most, not that fussed about the drink :p

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Diddly said:
Sorry but I would not be leaving my life saving meds with anyone, do all crutches have to be left as they can be used as a weapon?

We have been refused due to crutches before actually! Seemed a little petty but nothing my mate could do so we left

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Embabe25 said:
Sorry glucagen kit

It's an inject that can be given if you go so low you lose consioness can't spell the bloody word and my autocorrect isn't helping either lol.

Someone else has to give it to you. It's only useful at home because its kept in the fridge. I got mine when I was pregnant. Just looked and its out of date better order another

Ok cool....... So as a Type 1 should I have one?!? It's not something I've ever heard of and I lived with my T1 cousin for a year before I was diagnosed!

Embabe25

I'm not sure if I got it just because I was pregnant. Although I can't see why! I think yeah all type 1s should have one. Unless your local health authority says no it's too expensive which wouldn't surprise me. I'm very lucky as I tend to get anything I ask for.

Embabe25

Diddly said:

That's your choice. You would simply be refused entry! And depending how you could walk without the crutch yeah you'd need to leave them too.

There are enough weapons in clubs without adding wooden or metal sticks to the list.

We understand that you may feel we are being insensitive or victimising you but we are just thinking about the safety of everyone and if that results in one person being offended then so be it.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Embabe25 said:
I'm not sure if I got it just because I was pregnant. Although I can't see why! I think yeah all type 1s should have one. Unless your local health authority says no it's too expensive which wouldn't surprise me. I'm very lucky as I tend to get anything I ask for.

Cool thanks. I've got the clinic in Friday so ill ask about it then. So far I've had what I want too (get my new 1/2 unit own this week!) so if there is a need for it then I guess I can have one

Shzz46

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who try to tell me what to do
If someone's using crutches it's because they need them to walk how can a club expect them to walk around without them it's like someone going in to a bank in a wheelchair are they expected to leave it outside incase it's used as a getaway car

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Shzz46 said:
If someone's using crutches it's because they need them to walk how can a club expect them to walk around without them it's like someone going in to a bank in a wheelchair are they expected to leave it outside incase it's used as a getaway car

I think we've gone a little off topic here.

Basically take a bag with your stuff in it. If they ask you to hand it over you have no choice. But unless you're brandishing it around how would they even know? I've never had a bag search going into a bar or night club, maybe it's just the places I go though!