stuffedolive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Daily Mail, you know the sort
Hi Vicky, toomanyairmiles
I'm trying to avoid medicating because I believe I should be able to get to a situation where I can live without it for as long as possible.
Today I got down to 80g of carbs
25g for a small porridge & semi skimmed milk
0g boiled egg
20g lunch (yesterdays left over stew with a little bulgar wheat)
10g fig with yoghurt (the fig is to keep me regular - I really don't want to get constipated)
20g dinner - cauliflower'courgette/leek/mushroom/prawn stir fry with a little bulgar wheat
10g assorted cups of tea and coffee

my 40minute run was dreadful - no energy - I wonder why?

vicky_l

hi stuffedolive

wondering how you are doing today as this last post was a few days ago

has your energy improved?

if not I would question the bulgar wheat as the potential cause could you swap that with something else or leave it out altogether ??

keep going you are making good progress I think
xoxox

stuffedolive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Daily Mail, you know the sort
Vicky
Thanks for asking - it's been going well and energy levels are fine.

I find I can get down to 60g per day with ease. I still have the porridge but the dried fig has been replaced by 3 dried apricots (good fibre much less carbs) cut and sprinkled over my salads during the day.

I'm eating a LOT of spinach, about 100g a day, cottage cheese, cheese cheese, mixed nuts, broccoli, cauliflower, some carrot, cucumber, fennel, onions, garlic, tomatoes, a fair few mushrooms, leeks, meat (esp bacon and chicken), eggs, lots of fish, humus, yoghurt, mayo, apple peel, a handful of bluberries ... all this in various combinations.

My only issue is getting enough fibre not to get constipated. I think I might get some bran from Holland & Barrett to add to the porridge.

I have been put to the test with meals out. We usually eat out twice a week. I had a pub meal on Tuesday after an evening race. I chose a chicken and bacon salad. really good and almost no carbs, but then I had a pint (<20g ?) so not too bad. I've also been out to an Indian Restaurant and had marinated chicken for starters and Saag Paneer (spinach & cottage cheese) for mains (no nan nor rice) so that avoided carbs pretty well.

However, yesterday I had a Long Distance Walkers Event and was worried about getting the 'knock' so I ate more carbs than usual of late. In addition to my normal I had 3 rounds of wholemeal bread, whole apple, Satsuma, 3 falafels and a pint of Butty Bach :D so I reckon my carbs for the day were in the region of 130g which wasn't too bad, but I did allow myself to get dehydrated.

Today I'm back on my 60g regime. 8)

spendercat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty. I am kind.
LOL
Red Wine for breakfast - hilarious :lol:

When I eat instant porridge with sugar incorporated my BG goes up to 13
When I eat Quaker Oats porridge with artficial sugar it goes up to 12
When I eat organic Jumbo oats with Sweetleaf it goes up to 10.5

See the pattern here? So I gave up. No porridge. :( Now I eat Alpro natural yoghurt with sweetleaf flavouring and BG goes to 7.2.

At evening meal I eat a regular roast meat (chicken, lamb, organic sausage etc) with cauliflower mash and a small portion of veg, glass of red wine (usually) and take two Benfotiamine capsules. BG goes up to 7.2.

My aim is always to keep the BG below 7.7, I do not always succeed but my HB is 5.7%

You have to test after a meal to see what effect a specific food is having.

Weight is too high, but I am too old to get my BMI below 28, but HB is normal, so food not weight is key for me.

vicky_l

Hi stuffedolive

your diet sounds good if you are struggling with constipation and really want to go fibre instead of up fruit/veg more then I would advise oat bran but be careful with increasing carbs so if it was me I would cut back on oats and add amount you cut back by in oat bran similar levels then hopefully

just a word of warning cottage cheese although many people do well both my sister and I spike on it so do check it just incase I personally find I spike on 'diet' type food you know the low fat personally most low fat yogurt adds sweetener to hide the taste and I think I react to that in it whereas if I eat a full fat version blood glucose reduces and improves over all

Just a few tips that work for me (obviously each persons management of diabetes is slight unique as we each are as a person)

You are doing good I think
xoxox

Superchip

Dislikes
GP's, Diabetes Nurses.Crazy NHS guidelines on diet for Diabetics, they are seeing off millions.
Cheap Whisky !
What could possibly be wrong with red wine for breakfast ?

I've just had a plateful of slices of roast leg of lamb, well salted, and a couple of glasses of Chianti for my first meal of the day.
I don't always eat breakfast, tend to eat as nature intended, when hungry ! makes sense to me..
Now if you are driving then alcohol at breakfast is obviously a NONO ! but if you are like me and are comfortably off and don't work ( retired at 51 ) then what the hell ! Life is for living as best as you can and to hell with the subserviant naysayers !

Montipulciano for lunch methinks, along with some roast duck.....

Superchip, just fell off of the wagon ( again ! )