Quick question

broads

How long should retinal screening take to do from start to finish? I have an appointment later this afternoon.

C

catherinecherub

Mine took about 30 mins broads. Usual eye examination including reading tests, drops in eyes, 5 minute wait for them to take effect followed by screening process. It depends really if there is a queue as that will make a difference.
Catherine.

broads

Thanks Catherine. Trivial really but was just trying to work out dinner as other half has to go out tonight.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Broads,

My experience was about 2 minutes to put the drops in my eyes, 20 minutes wait for the drops to make your pupils dilate, then 5 minutes for a visual check and the photos to be taken of your retina. As the photos are taken, you will see flashes of bright light, but it is not normally uncomfortable. So about 30 minutes if they are running on time and you don't have to wait.

The eye drops can cause slight stinging, and your vision may become blurred about 15 minutes after the screening ends. The blurring can last between 2-6 hours, depending on what sort of eye drops are used, and will most likely affect your ability to drive, so if you are driving there, get someone to drive you back home. You may also find that everything looks very bright during this time, and bright sunlight can be quite painful (if we get any!), so you take sunglasses with you.

broads

Thanks Dennis. husband coming with me so no driving problems.Maybe even get a take away if my eyes might not be 'usable' for a few hours. Never have take a ways so a little treat might be good. Hubby could pick something up on his way back this evening about 9.30. Will see.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
You may not need the eye drops ,in which case you will be in and out in about 5-10 minutes depending on if they do an eye test as well.I've never needed the eye drops yet.

Natalie

Had mine done yesterday and about 35 mins from arriving to leaving, and there was one person before me so it was quick, but I'd say definitely take sunglasses cos I was practically blinded by the 'brightness' of the world when I came out! 8)

broads

Well, had the screening done, no probs, eyes excellent. PPHHHHeeew.
Was interesting in that Ihad no problems at all with bright light or needing sunglasses, I just found everything a bit blurry. However about 35 minutes after I had the drops, by which time I was at home, I had a blinding headache and felt happier with my eyes closed. Thought the top of my head was going to blow off. It felt just like a migraine. I used to get migraine a few years ago. It was never major and usually went within a couple of hours. I was wondering if the really bright flashes when the photos were taken could have given me a migraine. The head ache slowly disappeared in about 2 1/2 hours. Any thoughts?

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
i always get a bad head/migraine after my retinal screening too :?

TheTartanPimpernel

If you have to get eye drops ask nicely when the test is over and they will drop in the antidote which takes about 5 minutes to restore normal vision.

broads

Thanks for that. Not due for another screening till next March but the headache I had was aweful so will suggest antidote.

Winterhawk

Update.. I have just had my first retinal screening and as a result 10 hours later am still suffering from a migrane , vomiting and very blurred vision. The antidote is not offered, and the new 111 service is useless. Am waiting for a call from my doctor..in the meantime I am supposed to be on a plane to go back to work in 4 hours time. If I don't make the plane I loose a weeks salary. I have found the suffolk NHS completely and utterly useless. Based on my experience I will NOT be repeating the procedure unless the antidote is administered immediately... I now have to decide wether to stay at home or risk going back to work in an unfit state...
No choice really... I will be on the plane and deal with the problems as they arise

cherylle

I had mine done in feb it was awful. And had the migrain and sickness and the blurred vision i had the symptoms for a week,i didnt go to my G.P because he whould have said i was overreacting but with your story i wasnt,I hope your well soon.:)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
A suggestion for anyone who wears specs and is not getting the service they would wish for from NHS is to look for an optician who has the retinopathy testing equipment. I believe that most branches of Specsavers offer this when you go for a sight test.

Dennis