Energy drinks

Akash

So before i got diagnosed i used to have a energy drink in the morning called 'Emerge' you may have heard of it. After diagnosis i automatically thought that i wouldn't be able to have them anymore, i looked on the nutritional info and it says 10g carbs for every 100ml, as the can is 250ml it would be 25g of carbs. Would this be ok? Obviously i will give the needed insulin for it. Anyone else have similar drinks e.g. Red bull etc? Thanks.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Cody

I would say definately yes but this is only cos I am on the insulin pump and docs say if u know the carbs in what u put down ur throat u can eat or drink it no with no problem

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Red bull states on its can that it is unsuitable to diabetics. That energy drink will work just like full fat coke etc. FAST!

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The problem is is that you will never match the spike caused by the dissolved sugar. Over 2 hours or so, you may have consistent readings, but you will certainly experience a spike in-between.

To reduce the spike you should inject your Novorapid 20 mins or so before you have the drink. I don't drink energy drinks, but do diet versions not exist? I'm sure there is a diet red bull.

Before I went low-carb, I cut 0.5% off my hba1c by switching to low GI.

Embabe25

Yeah there's diet versions. I used to practically mainline them! Three jobs and a baby = no sleep.

I think the high caffeine content also affects bs. The odd coffee is fine but the energy drinks are ridiculously high!

Relentless do a lovely sugar free one in a pink slim can.

I steer clear now because I get hooked on the caffeine like its smack! I'm doing enough damage with food without adding another

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I wouldn't drink energy drinks on grounds other than carbs. they are marketed as good for sports people, but what people who do sport really need is WATER to keep hydrated. Any energy you get very fast, is likely to cause a crash too.
Essentially energy drinks are only good for the folks who market and sell them.
Hana