T1 Honeymoon Period

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi all!

my honeymoon period has gone into overdrive in the last 4 or 5 days. after a chat with my DSN i am now taking just my 2units levemir in the evening and then the occasional unit of novorapid if my BG goes above 10mmol/l........... this has only had to happen once :clap:

ive been quite enjoying the break from all the injections, but im still counting the carbs so i stay in that habit for when i go back to injecting all the time again. Shame it can't last forever :thumbdown:

is anyone else going through the same sort of thing right now? How are you dealing with the unpredictability of it all? have you just reduced your insulin or have you stopped the rapid insulin almost entirely like me?

elaine77

Hi Hale,

I was diagnosed in December as type 1.5 due to having GAD65 antibodies. They wanted me to go onto insulin and I said no (my choice) and so now I've been told I'm in the honeymoon phase.... My levels are between 4 and 8 mmol almost all the time, fasting is the only one I can't control and is always between 7 and 8 mmol.... I read on a different forum someone who was still in a honeymoon phase 5 years after diagnosis so here's to wishful thinking. I'm really confused by it all though to be honest and feel like I have something constantly hanging over my head ready to strike! Not sure i would want a honeymoon phase AFTER going onto insulin though..... The pancreas is a rather funny thing isn't it!

Diagnosed with GD in 2010, Completely disappeared postpartum. Re-diagnosed December 2012 with type 1.5 diabetes, age 26, BMI 23 currently controlled by only Metformin, 500mg twice a day.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
elaine77 said:
Hi Hale,

I was diagnosed in December as type 1.5 due to having GAD65 antibodies. They wanted me to go onto insulin and I said no (my choice) and so now I've been told I'm in the honeymoon phase.... My levels are between 4 and 8 mmol almost all the time, fasting is the only one I can't control and is always between 7 and 8 mmol.... I read on a different forum someone who was still in a honeymoon phase 5 years after diagnosis so here's to wishful thinking. I'm really confused by it all though to be honest and feel like I have something constantly hanging over my head ready to strike! Not sure i would want a honeymoon phase AFTER going onto insulin though..... The pancreas is a rather funny thing isn't it!

Diagnosed with GD in 2010, Completely disappeared postpartum. Re-diagnosed December 2012 with type 1.5 diabetes, age 26, BMI 23 currently controlled by only Metformin, 500mg twice a day.

I seem to sit at a steady 8 - 8.5 all day apart from when I wake up which is between 6-7. I haven't liked being so high but my nurse is ok with it for now as if I took one unit I would end up quite low. I'm getting a half unit pen this week so that will help keep me in range!

Type 1.5 confuses me a bit!

I want my honeymoon period to last, but on the other hand it'll be easier to control once it's gone and I know what to expect every day!

Carlydrew

Hi I was diagnosed with type 1 28th dec 2012 !! I was just getting my head round it all and I hit the honeymoon period early march !!! Hypos 2 /3 a day , I lowered my Insulin over a few weeks but had to come off it altogether for about 4 weeks : )) almost thought this has all been a mistake !! But then my levels went up gradually and I am now back on 24 hour insulin and fast acting as required just now : (( !! It's hard up and down I wish it would settle down and let me get my head round things !!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Carlydrew said:
Hi I was diagnosed with type 1 28th dec 2012 !! I was just getting my head round it all and I hit the honeymoon period early march !!! Hypos 2 /3 a day , I lowered my Insulin over a few weeks but had to come off it altogether for about 4 weeks : )) almost thought this has all been a mistake !! But then my levels went up gradually and I am now back on 24 hour insulin and fast acting as required just now : (( !! It's hard up and down I wish it would settle down and let me get my head round things !!

I think I'm lucky in that I've not been upset by the diagnosis. I have never cried, I've just gotten on with it. I just want to be "established"! That seems like a long gap between diagnosis and honeymoon period, but I guess it's not much longer than me.

Carlydrew

It was just over 8 weeks before honeymoon period kicked in , I have got on pretty well once I got over the initial shock !! No diabetes history in family at all and at 42 it was all a big shock !!

shirls82

hi all what do i need to expect when i have the honeymoon period ive been type 1 taking insulin since September 2012 a big :shock:

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
shirls82 said:
hi all what do i need to expect when i have the honeymoon period ive been type 1 taking insulin since September 2012 a big :shock:

You may not get one! Mine kicked in 6 weeks after diagnosis. I noticed because I was having random hypos, then one morning I forgot to take my Novorapid at breakfast. Panicked just before lunch expecting to be sky high but I had actually dropped 3mmol/l. I stopped insulin the next day and voila! Here I am eating and drinking whatever I like (within reason) with minimal effect on my BG

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Muddie said:
My 3 yr old was diagnosed 3 weeks ago and is already in " honeymoon period " dropped his nova and levemir , he's not on a lot at all xx

Must be hard with that age group as its harder for them to express how they're feeling! I lowered my doses over about a fortnight first then they were stopped altogether

elaine77

I know, I think type 1.5 means "we don't know what type u are". Is especially weird with me because I had gestational diabetes which is linked with type 2 and type 2 meds worked for me both then and now which my consultants a bit baffled by so it looks like I may have some resistance too.... I'm in limbo basically until I find out how many more beta cells have been murdered at my next appointment :-(

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm lucky I'm "classic type 1" apart from my age!