high blood glucose still! does it take time?

lou g

Dislikes
Not being able to eat and drink as much as you like!
Hello, iam newly diagnosed type 2,
My name is Louise, Iam 36, live in Portugal.
Iam currently on metformin 2000mg. Gliclazide 40g.
Iam finding it hard to lower my blood sugars, they were reaching 20mmol but are now averaging between 11/15, which is better but still high, I have tried a good balanced diet with few carbs.
I am wondering if the nurse will increase meds and how far I can go on with tablets before insulin!

Any advice?

elaine77

Hi Lou,

It depends on a number of things... Are you overweight? Have you increased exercise as well as decreased carbs? Have you replaced the bad carbs with low GI?

Welcome to forum :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi lou and welcome to the forum, as Elaine says there are many things to take into account before you start worrying and as well as weight and exercise you dont mention how long you have been diagnosed? Good control doesnt come overnight but reducing your levels slowly but steadily is probably the best way :thumbup: And can help avoid the blurred vision often experienced with fast drops in bg levels.

You appear to have done really well in reducing your levels so far and although still high these things do take time, you may want to try testing before eating and then 2 hours after finishing your meal to see what affects your diet is having on your bg levels it may also tell you which meals need tweaking to help get your levels to drop a little more :D

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Lou and welcome to the forum :)

I don't know if you are fairly newly diagnosed or not, but here is the information we give to new members which I think you will find helpful. Ask all the questions you need to as there is usually someone who can answer them.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find well over 30,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes ... rains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips
The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Lou. What is your weight? Have you been losing weight recently?

lou g

Dislikes
Hello to all of you that replied.
I started losing weight, in January of this year went from 67 kg down to my current 58kg, this could of been the tablets or part of the diabetes? Although I have always been very active, I go to the local gym 6 days a week when possible. So when the weight dropped of I did wonder what was happening as I had always found it hard to lose weight before.
I was diagnosed last month, type 2, (my dad is type 1)
I have always been good at eating healthy, so things aren't all that different, except I don't drink any alcohol any more, :(
I go back for review in 3wks. Hopefully the nurse will see a decrease in my bg as i have been keeping a record of them along with a food diary. :!:

Its funny how you take things for granted before, none of this life style change, calorie counting and watching what you eat! :roll:

Thanks for advice, it's nice to see what other people think!

elaine77

Hi Lou, have they done a full blood test on you? As in checking c-peptide and checking for antibodies? You are also quite young for type 2 and going to the gym and losing weight like u describe should have produced some really good results...Along with the meds you're taking.

I don't understand why they don't just do the full blood tests on everyone when they get diagnosed with diabetes as I have see so many people on this forum who have been diagnosed with type 2 when in actual fact they have type 1.5 or LADA as some call it, or in some cases even MODY... It may be worth asking your DN about it :)

lou g

Dislikes
Thanks Elaine,
I wasn't even aware there was a type 1.5. What does LADA stand for?
I am going for my review in two weeks, to see how Iam getting on with tablets, so I will ask about c-peptide and antibodies. I will also be having my eyes checked.
I am surprised that my blood sugars are still ranging between 8/14mmol after 4weeks. Hopefully they will just increase my dosage, I'm dreading the day they say I need insulin(as my father is type 1)
How are you getting on with your diabetes?

Louise

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi Lou LADA stands for Latent Autoimmune Diabetes of Adults its a sort of T1 condition that does not show itself until later in life pretty much as the acronym spells really.

I think the reason it is not checked for in all adult diabetics is cost, that and the fact that it is still relatively unusual compared with T2 although your weight loss may indicate LADA. That said I lost around 12lbs prior to diagnosis so some T2 do shed weight too.

elaine77

Hi Lou,

I am Type 1.5 or LADA. Diagnosed just before Xmas. They initially diagnosed me as type 2 even though my BMI was 23 and I'm only 26 but I'm lucky and although my GP practice are rubbish, my diabetes centre are really good and the consultant there ran full bloods on me which showed that I was producing insulin but I was at the bottom end of a normal scale and I also was positive for GAD65 antibodies. These antibodies attack and kill my insulin producing beta cells, similar to type 1 diabetes and I've been told insulin is inevitable one day. It is said to be triggered by stress or illness (virus).

You can have GAD65 antibodies with type 2 but it isn't as common. Type 1.5 is basically an overlap of both types of diabetes. It's autoimmune like type 1 but you can also have resistance like type 2; it's not caused by obesity but being obese doesn't help and can lead to a need for insulin sooner. Type 1.5 leads to insulin dependence quicker than type 2 but not as quick as type 1 and type 1.5 is not caused by you, it's not your fault or your lifestyle and you can't really do anything about it apart from keeping your levels under control and try to prolong the period without insulin, some people have managed 30 years before needing the insulin it really is amazing!

It's important you find out which you have though because some meds that are taken for type 2 (the ones that force the pancreas to produce more insulin) can actually lead to exhaustion of the cells you have left if you are a type 1.5 which speeds up the need for insulin. This is because, if you have type 1.5 your pancreas can't produce more insulin as you don't have enough cells to do it, hence why all it does is completely destroy your pancreas and whatever cells u have left. Hope this helps :)

lou g

Dislikes
Thanks Sid, I guess there's still so much I'm unsure of.
The nurse told me to enjoy a wide variety of foods in my diet and not to worry as my weight is fine, the tablets should do the work! Obviously they r working just not enough yet, I didn't really want to go down the root of changing my diet,ie low carb, low gi etc, as I eat healthy anyway.
Do u think I should look into this as what u eat does effect blood sugars, I know if I don't eat any carbs with meals sugars are down. Don't won't to cut them out completely.
How do u manage your diet?
Louise

lou g

Dislikes
Thanks Elaine,
It sounds like you really no your stuff.
That's a lot to take in, but I will make sense of it. My dad has had type 1 for over 40 years, back then they weren't told anything, just get on with it, he won't believe it when I tell him all about it.
I can ask much more questions when I go back for my review, thanks.
Keep well,
Louise

ladalout

Hi Louise,

I also experienced high blood sugars despite sticking to the diet and taking lots of exercise. As my weight went down my BS went up. I did not respond to any of the oral medications.
I have recently been diagnosed with LADA (latent auto immune diabetes in adults) This is a slow onset version of type 1 diabetes.
If you have anyone in your family who is a type 1 diabetic this is also an indication you could have LADA.
Ask your Doctor if you can be tested (GAD test). At least you can rule the condition out.
Diabetics with LADA need to go on insulin earlier than type 2 diabetics to avoid complications caused by high blood sugars.

Good luck, there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Janet (UK)

Genibel

Hi Louise
When I was first diagnosed I used the 'Candida Diet' as a guideline to controlling my sugars.
I am T1 and so is my 14yr old daughter. We find that in order to keep our levels in the safe range means sticking to a strict diet. Consisting mainly of vegetables and proteins. Fruit, pasta, potatoes, cereal bars may be part of a healthy diet for 'people who are not diabetics' but for us they contaminate our blood and make us unwell!
Most people are addicted to carbs (my daughter really struggles when her friends are eating snacks etc) and once you can wean yourself off them and you start losing weight things will be easier.
My cholesterol was never a problem when I was diagnosed but once I started controlling my diet it decreased. If you are worried about cholesterol ask for regular cholesterol tests to reassure yourself.

I hope that this will help you. Best wishes

Genibel

I've just read the whole thread..I think that they are all right about your diagnosis.

The GP's in the UK cannot authorise a GAD blood test you need to go to a consultant

I'm LADA and I was put on the T2 medication (which of course has no effect) and had to pay to see the consultant privately to get a quick diagnosis even though my daughter is T1 and the GP was aware!

Best wishes

vicky_l

Hi Louise

sounds to me like you are making the changes you need and weight loss is always beneficial

it doesnt have to follow in my opinion that being diabetic = medication

there are other ways and diet is one taking out carbs helps and testing pre and post meals (2hrs later) shows you which meals cause you to go higher than ideal (2 points higher than pre meal blood glucose level ideally under 8.5)

I find upping my protein brings down my BG levels quite quickly even a piece of cheese

also if I cut too far back on fats I struggle too

do ask for extra tests to be done so you can have a fuller picture of whats going on inside your body

and keep asking your questions

remember you have seen progress so that is what you can focus on massive changes in short space of time (we didnt get sick overnight the solution wont be overnight)

Keep going you will get there
xoxox

lou g

Dislikes
Hi,

Yes i have just been diagnosed with type 1, started me off on lantus insulin, 10 units.
Blood sugars dropped to a normal level after 3days, so all ok for now, keeping regular checks.
Just worried now that it wont stop here, there will always be a next stage, ie will put me on more insulin b4 each meal and or carb counting etc. Ive handled it so far, but that all sounds so complicated.

elaine77

Hi Lou, at least you have a proper diagnosis now which is good! My doctor telephoned a consultant when I presented with ketones and my GP actually did order my GAD test with the hospital after he spoke to the consultant. Also, my diabetic nurse just ordered the repeats of the GAD and c-peptide for my next appointment so I think they can authorise it I guess some just choose not to....

Diagnosed with GD in 2010, Completely disappeared postpartum. Re-diagnosed December 2012 with type 1.5 diabetes, age 26, BMI 23 currently controlled by only Metformin, 500mg twice a day.

lou g

Dislikes
yes thats one way of looking at it, although in a way i wished i could of gone on longer just on medication, i really thought i was doing well and with diet and excercise i could of beat it! As i had only been on meds since january 2013, but like the consultant said, im like a ticking time bomb, we dont know when its going to happen but eventually i would of needed the insulin anyway. So i suppose looking back its better to start now whilst im still healthy rather than wait until i become to ill.
How are you doing?

Lou.

likuna

Hello, I am Lika from Georgia.. i am 27 and I have just been diagnosed. my doctors think I have type 1 diabetes. I am on a diet since the end of April and I am on Diabeton MR 60/2 tablets. it is not easy for me to decide and inject insulin and that's why I am trying to compensate via diet and I am trying to be physically active.

I have heard that garlic is a very good for diabetics. Do you know about it ? and could you please tell me is it worth or not?

Thank youuu ! :)