Carrying insulin and blood glucose kit on a night out

Embabe25

That's true they might not know if you're not searched but you should tell them so they know you have diabetes. That way if you have a hypo they know its that and you're not just drunk like everyone else.

Or if you lose it or your bag is stolen the are aware that someone else may have it.
There are some dangerous people out there who would get a kick out of running about jabbing people with it. Just a few units of insulin in someone who is not diabetic is very dangerous.

As for crutches if the person is dependant on them then the stewards can use their discretion and allow access but if the person just has a sprained ankle then They might be asked to leave them at the door and take a seat.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Embabe25

hale710 said:
Embabe25 said:
I'm not sure if I got it just because I was pregnant. Although I can't see why! I think yeah all type 1s should have one. Unless your local health authority says no it's too expensive which wouldn't surprise me. I'm very lucky as I tend to get anything I ask for.

Cool thanks. I've got the clinic in Friday so ill ask about it then. So far I've had what I want too (get my new 1/2 unit own this week!) so if there is a need for it then I guess I can have one

Let us know how you get on. My brother is also T1 and doesn't get one. He doesn't take background insulin either. And it's like talking to a brick wall when I ask him about it.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Embabe25 said:
hale710 said:
Embabe25 said:
I'm not sure if I got it just because I was pregnant. Although I can't see why! I think yeah all type 1s should have one. Unless your local health authority says no it's too expensive which wouldn't surprise me. I'm very lucky as I tend to get anything I ask for.

Cool thanks. I've got the clinic in Friday so ill ask about it then. So far I've had what I want too (get my new 1/2 unit own this week!) so if there is a need for it then I guess I can have one

Let us know how you get on. My brother is also T1 and doesn't get one. He doesn't take background insulin either. And it's like talking to a brick wall when I ask him about it.

I'm currently ONLY taking 3units background insulin and maybe 1 unit Novorapid if Ive gone overboard, per day. My honeymoon period means I'm plodding along at my own pace nicely for now. So I might not get it as I don't tend to hypo. But ill sure be asking about entitlement!

Embabe25

hale710 said:
Embabe25 said:
hale710 said:
Embabe25 said:

I'm currently ONLY taking 3units background insulin and maybe 1 unit Novorapid if Ive gone overboard, per day. My honeymoon period means I'm plodding along at my own pace nicely for now. So I might not get it as I don't tend to hypo. But ill sure be asking about entitlement!

Wow! That's great! I'm on 80 units of lantus split. And 25-30 units of humilin s at each meal! I'm very insulin resistant!

And very overweight! :-( poor me! Waaaah!

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm the complete opposite, I'm VERY receptive. 1 unit drops me 3.5mmol/l minimum! I was a touch overweight before diagnosis but the handy weightloss in the lead up has dealt with that and I'm not just under 9st and maintaining it well so all in all it's not too bad! Having a new(ish) puppy keeps me fit and active too! I don't tend to use a corrective dose ever, I just take wee Rodney for a play in the garden or a walk around the block, soon sorts my BG right out

foxyccc

Hi I have only been on insulin for the last five weeks and was also concerned on how I was going to carry it around. I found a small pretty make up bag and put the insulin pen and also an empty blood glucose strip pot that is the ideal size to dispose of the needle in. When I get home I can then put the needle from the pot into the sharp container.

You could also put your blood glucose tested in the bag if there is room! I am using large handbags now as I am ultra cautious and carry a sweet drink and carb snack with me as well! I find the blood glucose kit fits into the interior pocket of my handbag to keep it safe!

I have been given an insulin passport form to keep with me, which has my medication and personal details on. I keep this attached to my diary which I hope somebody would find if necessary.

Hope this helps

Morganator

Years ago when I was prescribed an Epi-pen my GP also gave me a "To whom it may concern letter" to say that I was to be allowed to carry it at all times, especially useful at local airport when flying out for hospital appointments. When I started on insulin he gave me a new one saying the same about my insulin pens. This has been accepted by club security many times.

blueeyed81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Ive been out on many nights out and not once had an issue, you shouldnt have to tell anyone in the establishment your going into anything as the people your out with should know your diabetic, if you can't trust your friends not tp get overly drunk so they cant help you then are they really the friends you wsnt to be out with, I have had my bags searched once and the only thing they didnt want me taking into the establishment was a can of deodorant lol

Kelly :)

ShelleyHarris1981

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Racism,ignorance,nastiness,selfishness
I have one of those kits and my hubby was made aware how to use it incase anything was to happen when at home and i was too out of it to do anything myself. I was given it in pregnancy too. Glad you mentioned the date thing, going to check mine once home!

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have been getting kits since the early years. Only used one once. When I think of checking best before date it is always wildly over! I am a full time carer for my mother (82 with arthritis and macular degeneration) and my brother (intellectual disability) so no one to administer it now. I have instructed my mother to ring doctor if any seriois hypo I can't treat myself occurs. I keep my night bs at the high side of normal just in case

Lynds90

Phoned around the pubs and nightclub that the party bus is going to and the people I spoke to could not have been nicer! They were all very understanding. I'm glad cause I don't want a fuss being made :)

Jenn1f3r

Sorry glucagen kit

It's an inject that can be given if you go so low you lose consioness can't spell the bloody word and my autocorrect isn't helping either lol.

Someone else has to give it to you. It's only useful at home because its kept in the fridge. I got mine when I was pregnant. Just looked and its out of date better order another

it used to be called glucagon waaay back when i was diagnosed. :D

also i have never had any problems with insulin or meter in a club. me and my friend both used to have to do lantus and neither of us had a problem. most of the time when my bag is searched it gets looked over coz well my pen looks like a pen and my meter looks like a purse :D