Plateau

SarahBear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagonosed with Type 2 in October last year and aside from Metformin the big part of my treatment is to loose weight. I've been overweight for most of my adult life and have gone through various weight loss attempts.

I have been doing really well, loosing anything between 1 - 4lbs a week. 5lbs one week but I had a stomach bug so I don't think that really counts! lol About 4 weeks ago I hit my 2stone lost mark which I was really chuffed about but I seem to have been stuck there ever since!

On the whole I'd like to think I have a pretty balanced diet, with the occasionally hiccup which I'm sure we all have from time to time! I will admit I probably could do with exercising a bit more but have just started to again over the last couple of weeks - mainly walking (now that the weather is a bit better) or using the Wii Fit. I flat out refuse to join a gym. For one I can't really afford to and also why should I pay to exercise when going for a walk is free?!!! I would like to start swimming (the swimming pool is literally across the road from my house) but am still not overly comfortable about myself in a swimming costume! I look like a giant ball of lycra! lol

Alot of people have said that you quite often hit a plateau when it comes to weight loss and I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this and how did you get out of the rut? Did you just start loosing weight again or did you have to start doing something differently?

eggplant

Hi SarahB

Have to say, you're definitely not alone. I'm in the same boat... only my plateau has lasted the last 5 months, more or less - and that's with me trying all sorts of things, and exercising regularly. In the year since I was first diagnosed I went from 207 lbs to 157 lbs pretty quickly (first 6 months) - and since then I've gone as low as 148 lbs (self-set target is 140 lbs) but seem to average 153 lbs no matter what I do. Seems like my body just doesn't want to go beyond this. :cry:

For now, I'm continuing on... watching what I eat, trying to keep up the exercise and working to smaller targets on a monthly basis. Like you, I must admit, I do lose the plot every now and then and that's when all the good work comes undone - it doesn't take more than a couple of days of no exercise and higher calorie/carb intake for my weight to shoot up again.

Probably not much help, I know, but you have my symps and hope you find a way soon.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
No idea about plateaus but you both should be very proud of yourselves :)