New to all this a parent needing some advice

1505helen

Hi my daughter has recently received results of a fasting glucose blood test of 22.5. She attended the appointment alone ( she's 18 and my ex husband didn't want to go in with her, but that's another story!) she didn't really take in what the doctor was saying other than she had to make an appointment to see the diabetic nurse at the practice. This appointment is not till a week on Friday. I'm concerned about this, should she wait this long are these results high enough to require an appointment sooner? I'm staying calm on the outside for my daughter's sake but inside I'm freaking out. I think I'm driving her insane already by asking her how she's feeling every five minutes. Some advice to calm down and wait for next weeks appointment would be nice, or do I need to ring the surgery and demand an earlier appointment.
Thanks in advance for any help,
Helen

PS reposted here from the parents section in hope of a reply x

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
1505helen said:
Hi my daughter has recently received results of a fasting glucose blood test of 22.5. She attended the appointment alone ( she's 18 and my ex husband didn't want to go in with her, but that's another story!) she didn't really take in what the doctor was saying other than she had to make an appointment to see the diabetic nurse at the practice. This appointment is not till a week on Friday. I'm concerned about this, should she wait this long are these results high enough to require an appointment sooner? I'm staying calm on the outside for my daughter's sake but inside I'm freaking out. I think I'm driving her insane already by asking her how she's feeling every five minutes. Some advice to calm down and wait for next weeks appointment would be nice, or do I need to ring the surgery and demand an earlier appointment.
Thanks in advance for any help,
Helen

PS reposted here from the parents section in hope of a reply x

I'm 23 and was diagnosed 6 weeks ago, so I know some of what your daughter is feeling. First thing I did was "run home to mummy" and get her to come to the hospital with me. It's a shame she went through that alone. What type is she? Does she require insulin? I would phone your doctors surgery and explain its an emergency and get an earlier appointment. She HAS to know what she's doing, particularly if she's insulin dependant.

I guarantee she'll be getting pretty annoyed at you asking how she's feeling every 5 minutes, but she will be pleased you care enough to ask. My mum wanted to move in with me for a bit to "help". That idea went down like a lead balloon with me! She's 18, she needs a little independence to deal with it herself.

Knowledge is key here. The beat thing you can so is read read read! The more you know and understand the more you can help her control it

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
At the age of 18, it will likely be Type 1 diabetes that she is diagnosed with. I dont want to alarm you, but the appointment needs to be sooner than next Friday. If she isn't producing her own insulin, then going until next Friday without insulin could be potentially life-threatening. Look out for the symptoms of diabetic ketoacidosis, this is what happens with a lack of insulin. Have a google for it, I don't know all of the symptoms off by heart. If she has any of these then its a trip to A and E.

Did she have blood taken (other than the fasting test)? What is the nurse appointment for?

1505helen

Tanks for answering. She was given no insulin or repeat blood tests no leaflets or anything I'm so angry all the doctor said was don't eat sweet stuff and make an appointment with the nurse no indication of how soon that needed to be!

She feels worse this morning spaced out and very tired and thirsty!

Help what should I do?

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
SamJB said:
At the age of 18, it will likely be Type 1 diabetes that she is diagnosed with. I dont want to alarm you, but the appointment needs to be sooner than next Friday. If she isn't producing her own insulin, then going until next Friday without insulin could be potentially life-threatening. Look out for the symptoms of diabetic ketoacidosis, this is what happens with a lack of insulin. Have a google for it, I don't know all of the symptoms off by heart. If she has any of these then its a trip to A and E.

Did she have blood taken (other than the fasting test)? What is the nurse appointment for?

I'm hoping if type 1 she would have been given some insulin immediately in the hospital as I was. Unlike many people here I wasn't required to stay in over night as I showed an ability to inject and test and I had minimal ketones

Sam is right, if type 1 get her to the doctor ASAP. Is it her diabetic nurse she's to see or the normal nurse at the doctors surgery? I would definitely suggest a follow up appointment with her doctor also. Go with her if you can. Don't be afraid to take notes, it's a lot to take in!

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Helen,
It's very important that if she has diabetes (which she does with a blood glucose reading of 22.5) that she starts insulin ASAP. Try to tackle this today, make an emergency appointment with the doctor, go in with your daughter. If you have no confidence in your doctor then I'd consider A and E.

Let us know how she gets on.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
1505helen said:
Tanks for answering. She was given no insulin or repeat blood tests no leaflets or anything I'm so angry all the doctor said was don't eat sweet stuff and make an appointment with the nurse no indication of how soon that needed to be!

She feels worse this morning spaced out and very tired and thirsty!

Help what should I do?

Go to the doctor this morning or a&e. I have no idea why they sent her home without insulin unless she is type 2, but then they should have given her guidance. 22.5 is a very high reading and it will only be getting higher.

Continue to stay calm for her as you were before, but act quickly and make sure she's seen. If the doctor says no then please go to a&e. I look forward to hearing how you get on! She'll feel much better once treatment begins

1505helen

Thank you all so much for the advice. Just got back from the minor injuries dept. of the local hospital they were brilliant tested BP heart rate blood glucose ( which has come down to 17.5) ketones 2.1 both also in her urine sample. The brilliant nurse practitioner then rang our GP's surgery and got her an appointment with the Diabetic Nurse for this afternoon.

So we're both a lot calmer now and reassured that something will happen today.

Will keep you posted and thanks again! :crazy:

Helen

Lyndesay

Sorry to hear this, if you can't get an appointment with your daughter's GP, I would advise you to go to A&E with her, simply not good enough having to wait with a blood sugar that high! I hope your daughter gets seen quickly! Good luck!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
1505helen said:
Thank you all so much for the advice. Just got back from the minor injuries dept. of the local hospital they were brilliant tested BP heart rate blood glucose ( which has come down to 17.5) ketones 2.1 both also in her urine sample. The brilliant nurse practitioner then rang our GP's surgery and got her an appointment with the Diabetic Nurse for this afternoon.

So we're both a lot calmer now and reassured that something will happen today.

Will keep you posted and thanks again! :crazy:

Helen

Awesome I'm glad it's getting sorted. Her BG of 17 is still high but it's good that its decreased, but ketones of 2.1 needs to be monitored. Keep lots of fluids in her (water or no added sugar diluting juice etc) to flush things through

Tell her not to be afraid to have lunch etc. if she doesn't have insulin yet then maybe try to have something low in carbohydrate so it doesn't spike her sugar levels. Try a lentil soup or a salad etc. although lentils have carbs they are very slow releasing so that's "the good kind".

Good luck this afternoon! There's no such thing as a silly question! It might be a good idea to write a list of question she has before she goes. This will mean she doesn't get flustered with the info that will be thrown at her and she keeps a clear head and gets the facts straight

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
1505helen said:
PS is it safe for me to leave her on her own until this afternoon or should I stay at home with her?

Ummm entirely up to you. I would suspect it's PROBABLY safe, but I am not her doctor and don't know for sure. Her ketones are a worry. If you leave her, maybe her get her to "check in" with someone by phone regularly. Or drop her with a friend so she's not just alone?

She will also be worried so being alone might not be good for her sitting stressing. A distraction might be needed

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

1505helen

Thanks all googled ketone levels then decided its best to stay with her!

She seems ok at the moment a lot calmer and I'm fighting the urge to ask her how she's feeling every few minutes!

Will home made vegetable soup be ok it has sweet potato in it?

Gosh it's just beginning to dawn on me how life changing this is going to be for her.......... :(

Helen

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
1505helen said:
Thanks all googled ketone levels then decided its best to stay with her!

She seems ok at the moment a lot calmer and I'm fighting the urge to ask her how she's feeling every few minutes!

Will home made vegetable soup be ok it has sweet potato in it?

Gosh it's just beginning to dawn on me how life changing this is going to be for her.......... :(

Helen

It'll be just fine for her! Just try to give her a portion with less of the sweet potato in it (unless its blended of course). Homemade soup is the best as its always comforting :)

Good call on staying with her. If nothing else she'll appreciate your support!

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So glad you are able to get this sorted today. Don't know what doctor was thinking sending her home. Crazy. She must be quite shocked and scared so good to stay with her. You sound like a good Mum. She's lucky to have your support. It is vital. She has an emotional journey ahead of her. Good luck to you both

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

1505helen

Thanks, don't feel like I'm any help at the moment! Is it ok for her to sleep? Her ketone level is 2.1 she hasn't been sick and her breathing is ok. The nurse said to take her to A&E if she shows any further symptoms before this afternoons appointment, so I'm nervous about diabetic coma, should I wake her up? She's exhausted at the moment so needs some sleep!

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes high bloods make you exhausted. Personally you wouldnt have been able to force me awake at that stage, but my BG was 29.8!

Maybe let her nap but tell her you will be waking her up every half hour? I'm no doctor though so I'm not sure on any of this! But I imagine if you're checking her out ever 30 minutes then you'll spot an issues. Wake her and give her a drink, that should be long enough to assess how she's feeling, then let her go back to sleep again. High BG makes you thirsty and need the toilet anyway so no doubt she wouldn't be able to sleep long!

1505helen

Good advice thanks. She's just woken for a wee and a drink so you were spot on anyway!

Thanks for the support its good to know there are people out their to talk too. When we've been this afternoon she planning on registering on here herself so she can talk to others in the same situation!

Thank goodness for the Internet it's such a powerful tool as some one else said read read and then read some more information is so important!

Helen x