Newcastle Diet??

A

Anonymous

Ive been reading some of the posts about the newcastle diet...and i'm a bit lost to be honest....

I quite fancy trying it...but really dont know the first thing about it...Where do you start? Just shakes for so many weeks? or shakes with vegetables? Can one of you delightfull members give me some information at all?? Have been searching the web for info but hitting my head off a wall to be honest... :? :? :?

Thanks in advance for any info

sharon :)

antmos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I found Optislim the best shakes. None of them taste that great but the Optislim were the most pleasant and just about the cheapest. I have heard people have used the Tesco shakes but they are higher calorie and carb. The Optifast shakes are very expensive and only available on prescription.

Good luck :)

A

Anonymous

antmos said:
I found Optislim the best shakes. None of them taste that great but the Optislim were the most pleasant and just about the cheapest. I have heard people have used the Tesco shakes but they are higher calorie and carb. The Optifast shakes are very expensive and only available on prescription.

Good luck :)

Thank you Antmos, will look out for the optislim shakes and give them a go...I'm really struggling with the low carb diet as i dont tend to have 3 meals a day but could easily do shakes as meals...

Thanks again

sharon xx

Defren

Hi Sharon, I did the ND using Atkins shakes because they are low carb and I really don't tolerate carbs well. Since the diet I can tolerate them slightly better, but not much. They cost £14.99 from Boots on line and that covers 20 shakes. Weeks 1-4 I just had three shakes a day, weeks 5-8 I added a very small meal. It worked for me and I am so pleased I did it. I plan doing it every January for the entire month to clear out the Christmas excess.

Once I finished the ND I found a company called slim and save, they also do meal replacement shakes in a huge variety of flavours (Atkins do chocolate and vanilla only). They also work out much cheaper. I found out yesterday S&S also sell on e-bay.

Good luck if you do decide to try the ND, the first few days are a bit rough, after that I found it really very easy. I have a diary here on the weight loss forum, I am doing the 5:2 fasting now, hopefully that will benefit me like the ND has.

[eta] My diary link: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=28731

A

Anonymous

sounds amazing to me Defren, thank you for your input...I dont mind the first few days going without food to be honest, I only really eat once a day normally anyway, I tend to drink more than eat food..I'll take a look at your diary and see if it works for me too...I really need to shift some weight fast, ive lost 12lb in 3 weeks now, so have been doing something right but just cant handle eating all the time, shakes would suit me well until i can get to grip with things

Thank you so much, its greatly appreciated xxx

Defren

sharonmac said:
sounds amazing to me Defren, thank you for your input...I dont mind the first few days going without food to be honest, I only really eat once a day normally anyway, I tend to drink more than eat food..I'll take a look at your diary and see if it works for me too...I really need to shift some weight fast, ive lost 12lb in 3 weeks now, so have been doing something right but just cant handle eating all the time, shakes would suit me well until i can get to grip with things

Thank you so much, its greatly appreciated xxx

No problem. I can guarantee on the ND you will lose weight, do the full 8 weeks and you will lose lots. :lol:

A

Anonymous

Defren said:
No problem. I can guarantee on the ND you will lose weight, do the full 8 weeks and you will lose lots. :lol:

woohoooo all the better then :lol: :lol: I've about 7 stone to lose :lol: :lol:

Alasdair

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It all sounds like a load of very unhealthy nonsense if you ask me. Any and every diet will lose you weight in the first 8 weeks no matter what you call it. Diets are bad for you, when will people realise that?

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A wise man once said don't diet, eat sensibly.

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app

walterrichmand

Healthy eating can have a powerful effect on the lifestyle of people with diabetes. Newcastle low-calorie diet could reduce fat levels in the pancreas of patients dramatically enough to bring blood sugar levels back to normal again.

Wizzco

I have read some of these posts with surprise and concern. I discovered the Newcastle Experiment in June 2011, and read the research report. As I had just been told by my Consultant at Addenbrooke's that I had to go onto Insulin, I decided to ask if the Diet would help me, and if so, could I try it. My GP was doubtful, because of my CKD, but having read the Newcastle Report said I should put it to my Consultant. In January 2012 I had my scheduled appointment and took with me all the research papers. Following the standard system, I first saw the Dietician who was very strongly against it. She said I had to follow a low fat, heigh carbohydrate, balanced diet, with a gradual weight-loss. I then saw the Nephrologist Consultant who read the papers, asked questions, and went to talk to the Diabetic Consultant. I was asked to join them; my Diabetic Consultant told me she knew the Newcastle Professor, that the results were very interesting, and that I should try it, with supervision specified by the Nephrologist. This consisted of 4-weekly Blood tests of Kidney and Liver function via my GP. Progress was to be reviewed by the hospital Diabetic team in six months. It was, and I was allowed to continue, and still am on the Diet after more than a year now.
Today, I have never felt better. My HBA1C is <6, my BP is <130/<80, my kidney function is slowly improving, and I have lost >40KG. My body-fat percentage is, unfortunately still high at 40.8%. My aim is to reduce my Visceral Fat to a health lever for my age, as it is now thought to affect natural Insulin resistance.
Last week I received a letter from my Diabetic Consultant saying "now your Diabetes is effectively 'in remission'" I was no longer to attend the Diabetic Clinic". The Nephrologist would continue to see me as part of his normal Nephrology Clinic. In short, Newcastle worked for me, with no significant side-effects at all. We are all different cases, of course. I am not trying to say that it is for everyone. But it has changed my life, halted organ damage, and increased significantly my life expectancy. It's easy to post comments stating a personal mantra - I see several of those replys and comments which remind me of the dogged opposition of that Dietican. All I have done is report my own history; I am willing, if it would help, to provide fuller information if asked. Good luck to you.
Wizzco.

Wizzco

Addison from Wizzco. The Optifast is on NHS proscription, although I have to order it from LLoyds Pharmacy online, as local sources say they can't get it. My Carer gave me a taste of other shakes, they are all much sweeter, which is not a helpful taste to reinforce. The GP notes on the proscription that is was at the direction of the Addenbrooke's Consultant. Once the delay in getting the Optifast had been allowed-for there were and are no problems with Optifast.
Wizzco