Exercise

Stu@art

Hey there I am recently diagnosed diabetic (jan 2013) I'm generally well controlled now on basal insulin and lantus on a evening, I carb count and inject novo rapid, I have to admit I wasn't the fittest person before I'm not obese but have kinda let myself go a little, I have been told to exercise in just wondering what people do for exercise and how they cope with insulin and hypos I was going to cycle to work which is roughly 4 miles any hints would be helpful

Kindly Stuart

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

l0vaduck

Re: Exercise

Hi Stuart

For me I found that I need either to take extra glucose or reduce my insulin significantly to prevent hypos when cycling. Like you I used to cycle to work - a similar distance. My carb ratio for breakfast was 1 unit to 8g carbs normally - on days when I cycled to work I took 1 unit for 10g instead and this seemed to work - you'll have to use trial and error to work out how it works for you. Cycling home was too long after lunch to adjust my lunchtime insulin so I would either test or have a snack before setting off. A small banana was enough if my glucose level was above 4.5 - a few glucose tablets if it was lower.

Good luck!

walterrichmand

There are lots of advantages of the benefits of exercise to improving your overall health. There have been many years of research in the field of fitness, with many well documented and proven benefits of how incorporating exercise in your life can improve your general well being.

lani mitchell

Exercise is really helpful especially to those who are suffering some kind of health problem/condition. As diabetic patient you must always be aware of what you eat and what you do. Monitor your weight too, it's not ideal to be under or over weight.

Exercise is the best way to reduce weight but my wife is over weight and she has tried every single thing for weight loss,she has taken slimming pills and slimming tea but it was not effective now one of our friend told me about Ventouse Anti-cellulite this is really very effective.

amberzak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Competitive sport. I'm more of a for fun type person.

I swim a lot so it's not easy to test my sugars and I can over do it. I find I go low about 4 hours after I swim, so I try to swim before a meal.

Also I find if my sugars start a little high before I begin, they go really high after. But then they drop so I don't correct for it

amberzak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Competitive sport. I'm more of a for fun type person.

I swim a lot so it's not easy to test my sugars and I can over do it. I find I go low about 4 hours after I swim, so I try to swim before a meal.

Also I find if my sugars start a little high before I begin, they go really high after. But then they drop so I don't correct for it