Just got first hba1c post diagnosis

Raindrop37

I was diagnosed at the end of November with an hba1c of 96 (10.9) and have just rung and been given my results from my test on Monday. It was 52 (6.9) which is beyond my wildest expectations!

Steeling myself for my appointment with my DN next week though as he's really anti low carb and doesn't want to give me any more test strips...

But I do feel really vindicated. On my first appointment with him he told me that it was likely that oral meds wouldn't be enough, I'd probably need insulin and I might even still be type1. He then went on to tell me that weight loss and lifestyle changes wouldn't be enough, of all his patients who had lost weight and changed their diet only 2 had ever come off meds.

I'm on 2000mg metformin a day, low carb and walk the dog for 1-1.5 hrs a day.

52 though. Go me ;o)

Nike69

Well Done, really really well done. Good for you and stuff them. I was diagnosed recently and have been persecuted to start the drugs. I have resisted and am managing by diet, weight loss and life style change. Sometimes i get really low becuase I feel none of the professionals believe it can be done. I have a test coming up in a couple of weeks and I am so hoping to see a great improvement. I have been getting the test strips and so know exactly what foods to avoid and I am afraid Carbs are our worst enemy, they hide huge amounts of sugar and have to be seriously limited or given up.
Anyway, I am very pleased for you. I personally think that you can reverse diabetes and it looks like you are on route to it.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I think there are two different issues here. First if your DN won't prescribe a meter and strips there is little you can do if you are only on Metformin; you need to buy your own. Ref low-carb diet, your DN can't stop you having whatever diet you find works for you. You can either keep quiet about it or tell him straight that that's how you achieved a lower HBA1C like hundreds of others on this forum alone. He may not like it but perhaps he will listen and learn?

Roman

To be fair to your DN he is giving you the advice he is told to.
There are loads of us who have taken charge of our lives and gone down the low carb route ..... if it works for you then stick with it !

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Sharon Guy

Having read so much on here about carbs I am convinced that the low carb approach is worth trying. We are all different so what works for one might not suit another but there are so many positive outcomes here.

I have cut my carbs by over half and my readings have come down from the 15-20 range to the 8-14 range. Still too high but going in the right direction.

Thanks to all for sharing your experience and wisdom.

Dupont

My dr also told me not to low carb or self test. He also told me I will end up on metformin and insulin at some point.

My first HBA1C was 55 which I know isn't a disaster by any stretch.

I am exercising a lot and watching my carbs and so far have dropped 1 and a half stone and my 90 day average on my Aviva nano is 5.6

My HBA1C is due first week in April and if it is going in the right direction then I am not going to pay much mind to what my Dr says as they are just reading from a script. :lol:

Lone Ranger

The diabetes nurse who i saw for first time yesterdaygive me the example yesterday that if you give your body larger amount of carbohydrate in one go then the amount of sugar formed by is breakdown is correspondingly larger. By having a smaller amount the corresponding amount os sugar is smaller and easier for your body to Cope with. I was also given amongst the literature she handed me a copy of "eating well with diabetes" which explains portion size amongst other things.

I

zalastar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Raindrop, congrats! *bows down*...
I'm a newbie, diagnosed a week today with an hba1c of 96, just like you. Am looking around on forums such as this for guidance/support, and have decided that low carb, low fat and exercise is my way forward! Have knocked booze, fags and sugar cold turkey, and have dropped a couple of lbs already! People like you prove it's possible! Keep going, and thanks for the inspiration! X

Nike69

you need to watch any food labeled low fat. it is actually worse for you than the normal stuff because of the chemicals. they can actually make you fatter. I am reading a book called "get the sugar out" its a real eye opener.

spendercat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty. I am kind.
Nike is right. I eat low carb (120gms a day or less) , and I just eat whatever protein or fat based food I fancy. About 1800 calories a day, and I have lost two stones without trying.
Cutting fat makes a diet very hard to follow because your body needs it, whereas it can easily do without carbs.
Good luck with your struggle. A diagnosis is a terrific impetus to change your life, isn't it?

Lone Ranger

Just to add my bit. I was diagnosed in January, by last week I was on Metformin (2 tabs twice a day) Glicazade ( 2tabs twice a day) and Sitgliptin ( 1 tab a day) . Got results of blood tests yesterday and will be injecting insulin once a day from Saturday as well as the pills. The DN took me through practice using the insulin pen which involved injecting into a pad and then trying injecting my self with I believe water, she wrote down the procedure and explained how to keep the pen in use and those not in use yet, used needles disposal etc etcWe Also went through testing blood with the meter thingy. After I proved proficient I was given a brand new kit that inluded meter, strips, the contraption for getting the blood drop etc all came in what looks like a snazzy wash bag.

The diabetes team for my borough couldn't be more helpful. I have my first DECS eye test next week and appointment with dietician Then i attend a DESMOND course 2nd May.

Apparently if I want to go abroad on holiday I need to inform travel insurance people of my condition but also have a letter from my GP. at present I am not supposed to go abroad.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
"Apparently if I want to go abroad on holiday I need to inform travel insurance people of my condition but also have a letter from my GP. at present I am not supposed to go abroad."

Why is that? I'm Type 1 and at diagnosis I was told I could go abroad. It seems odd they you can't, but I'm completely insulin dependent and can!