Can GP stop giving me repeat prescription

skbera

Hi,
I am a diabetic (Type 2). Normally a pharmacy, near my house get the repeat prescription for me from the GP. Last month I got a review letter but I couldn't attend as I was visiting hospital for another major problem. This week my metformin ran out so I asked the pharmacy for a repeat prescription. Today I have received a letter(you can call it a threading letter) from GP, they wrote that if I don't have a review, I will not be able to order any further medication. Can they write this type of letter? I do the blood test at home. Normally one day they ask to come for blood test and another day nurse just waste my time. One nurse was saying may be I don't have diabetes, I may need to do the test again. It's so horrible. Where my previous GP did all the test and I was diagnosed as diabetic 5 years back.

Can someone suggest, if I don't go for the review can they stop giving me repeat prescription?
Thanks in advance

Diddly

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a medication review every 6 months think its just the surgery ticking boxes. They just ask if everything is ok and that's it. Until I attend this review no proscriptions, think its standard practice now.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

pav

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Same here my repeats have the number of times I am allowed to order the items. once these have been used up and I put another repeat in its normally granted once only and the form is then annotated that I must see or speak to a doctor before I can order any more.

markcunn2

Been this way for at least 3 years. I forgot to go to my appointment for a med review and as a result had to make a sit and wait appointment to get my medication renewed and a prescription issued. People can suddenly have reactions to medications, or they may need the dosage adjusting so a review is always worth going to. I have mine every 3 months.

picklebean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It is worth having a review. I think it's pretty standard in most surgeries, if not all. It helps the surgery prevent prescriptions going out that aren't needed and then get wasted. And as someone said, you can develop reactions to drugs at any time. Plus new clinical research sometimes throws up mixtures of drugs that can cause problems that weren't known before and are therefore no longer recommended to be taken together.... Happened to me.

Some surgeries aren't great at being 'nice' about things like this. Telling you like they did maybe isn't the most pleasant way to convey that they need to see you but, well, at least they're taking an active interest in your medical needs!?! :)

eveshamgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'd say they can. Ordinarily you would have to go to the Dr's to get a prescription written up. We are trusted to order our own meds providing we attend reviews to ensure that we are taking them correctly and that they are working for us.

It doesn't sound like they have said you can't have them at all. Just that you would have to go into the surgery and see the Dr to get them.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have my review in a telephone confrontation sorry consultation :lol: and I often have this in an evening maybe it would be worth asking if you can do this .I have not seen a GP since my initial diagnosis in 2009 but speak to him about every 6 months
CAROL

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I was diagnosed being diabetic by having thrush, I didn't have any of the other normal symptoms.