HELP ME FIND THE CULPRIT

sugardaddy777

This morning I tested my BG and meter gave me 113 mg/dl. Wanting to reach the normal level (just to feel good about my morning plus it was 2 hours too early for my regular breakfast) I killed two hours net surfing without food, stress. Not even water. Instead of getting a lower reading, I was shocked because it went up to 164 mg/dl. Just to double check, I loaded up another test strip and pricked my finger anew. This time I got 147 mg/dl. Lower but still closer to 164 than 113 so I did a third test to re-confirm. Then I got 143 mg/dl.

My questions are, how did i get 113 in the first place when my BG was high? Or, why did it go up if my fasting period was longer?

These are my suspicions:

1. On the first test, i didn't prick my finger deep enough and had to repeatedly squeeze my finger for more blood to drop on the strip. Did that affect the outcome?
2. My stomach was begging for breakfast during the 2-hr. extention. Could it be possible that my liver released glucose as I got slightly weak because of hunger? But fasting for 12 hours is better than 10 hours, no?
3. Is it time to get a new test kit?

Hi all, I am new in this virtual community and would appreciate a reply coming from an expert or from someone who had the same experience. Please, no guesses as it would only confuse me all the more, i hope you understand. I thank you in advance. Happy to be a member. :wink:

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I often have a high morning reading which is caused by the liver thinking I am starving and pumping out glucose to keep me going until I eat .In your case because you still didnt eat when you got up your liver could be dumping more glucose which would make your BGs higher
CAROL

sugardaddy777

Carol, thank you very much for your kind reply. Just from reading different articles over the past few years that I have been a type 2 gave me that hint that my liver could be partially responsible. And I also want to open up that topic because I have read so much about how some people wonder why their levels won't go down despite the diet and medication. It's an "aha" moment for me now that a fellow diabetic is confirming that the liver does do that. I am strictly following my meal skeds and a lot of times my body is tortured by starvation but my mind says wait. Dear liver wants to help but is actually throwing me off in normalizing my BG. Oh well, it's a new diet program for me so I would give it a few more weeks and see how my body handles it.

Thanks again for sharing. :wink:

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Sugardaddy

Have a look at this website. http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/17561156.php

The link will give you a lot of information about the dawn effect but the whole website is an absolute mine of useful diabetes information.

Dennis