Help!!!!

Traceylh

When my daughter is at home her blood sugars are brill, but when she is at school she is having a lot of lows, when her blood sugars are done before dinner they are fine but after dinner they are going low, her teacher is saying she doesn't no wot she is having for dinner and I am really worried they are not treat hypos properly, already approached them with issues around not monitoring wot she is eating, any advice on how to handle it again, I am at my wits end with it!!!!!!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Could it be the exercise your daughter is doing in the lunch break that is causing the hypo's, little ones are non stop especially when playing with other children, if it's the case then you may need to discuss reducing her lunchtime insulin with the diabetes team.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
noblehead said:
Could it be the exercise your daughter is doing in the lunch break that is causing the hypo's, little ones are non stop especially when playing with other children, if it's the case then you may need to discuss reducing her lunchtime insulin with the diabetes team.

I'd agree. Even a 10 minute walk drops my BG. If I'm going to walk I reduce my insulin for the meal before. Is she on mixed or basal/bolus? If mixed you need to give her something with carbs to entice her to eat it! If its basal/bolus then ask the lunch dose to be reduced

LizG

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Does she have a pump or is she injecting? My son has a pump so it's simple to change the carb to insulin ratios for lunchtime so he doesn't go low. Before, when he did injections, I could look at the school menu and give him an idea of how much to inject depending on if he thought the meal was yummy (he'd eat a lot) or yucky ( not very much). Sounds vague but eventually he learnt to judge his own insulin dosage. He was 8 at the time, 9 now.

CambridgeLass

Hi Tracey,
We have different rates for school & weekend/holiday time. At school my daughter is more active with play times & PE and she so her lunchtime dose is lower than if we were at home.

Traceylh

We have just decreased her lunch time insulin from 4 to 3.5 and hasn't had any lows for the past few days but now her tea time readings are 14!!!!!
Will I ever get the hang of it it is driving me mad