Insulin pen bags?

EmmRoseTat

So I'm 18, 2 weeks till I'm 19, and yesterday I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes! Got all my kit to test my BG and ketones and my 2 pens one for before my meals and one before I sleep.
But when it comes to taking them out and about they are most likely going to get lost in my bag (typical girl here with huge bag and a lot of stuff in it that i probably don't need)
Anyway I was wondering if anyone has found some kind of trendy bag/case to keep everything in all together. And if not what you do use to keep everything in.

Also when you go out for drinks and whatnot what people do with pens and the testers. (Sorry haven't learnt the lingo yet!)

carandol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I got one of these that goes everywhere with me. Enough separate pockets for glucose tablets, two insulin pens, pencil and notepad for keeping track of results, blood tester, strips and finger pricker, some spare lancets and needles, and a separate bit for used needles. And it's small enough to fit inside a larger bag too. And MUCH cheaper than purpose made cases.

But I'm a 51 year old bloke, so we may have different fashion tastes! :grin:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Unisex-Purpose- ... ags+lorenz

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Rosebud

If you watch Q V C the shopping Chanel
They do a great range of bags called Kipling
They are gorgeous with loads of pockets for your pens and needles and deep enough for your girlie stuff
Very trendy
Rosebud

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I bought a tiny thin bag from cath kitson. It's like an extra tiny pencil case that stores my pens and some needles. Fits in all my bags nicely! Haven't found a way to store my testing kit yet so it's in it's original case

XBel

although generally i use the zip cases that the pens/meters come with, i do have a neon orange bag that i put everything in when out and about for an extended length of time..... its supposed to be a small lunch cool bag.... thus good for keeping everything cool during summer....

one thing to mention when you are going out for drinks, if you've not already got yourself a medi alert tag/bracelet do so immediatly!!! It only needs to have your name and that your diabetic on it, it gives paramedics something to work from in the worse case scenario... i wear mine everytime i leave the house, even if im only popping down to the shops!

... its also worth telling the bouncers that you are diabetic when you arrive at whatever pub/club you are visiting, that way if your diabetes goes haywire you dont get thrown out on the street as 'just another drunk'....

... take note that i do not recommend drinking alcohol until your diabetes has totally settled down, and when it has, atleast for the first few times you drink, do so around responcible family and friends as alcohol has a huge effect on your diabetes. Different alcohols can even have totally different effects too!

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
XBel said:
one thing to mention when you are going out for drinks, if you've not already got yourself a medi alert tag/bracelet do so immediatly!!! It only needs to have your name and that your diabetic on it, it gives paramedics something to work from in the worse case scenario... i wear mine everytime i leave the house, even if im only popping down to the shops!

Medi alert bracelet is a good idea. They're not as ugly as you'd thing these days haha mine is in the post and I hope to receive it befor I go on holiday in a fortnight. My friends are extremely supportive and don't even let me go to the bathroom myself on a night out so I'm not worried about needing it then, although I will wear it.

For me it's the everyday situations where I'm alone. Walking the dog, grocery shopping etc even at work the people around me know, but what if I'm in a meeting on the other side of the building? If paramedics are called it will help them immediately

Although in my case I don't intend to ever get that bad haha but we'll just have to wait and see!

EmmRoseTat

Sending of for my medi-bracelet soon! I totally understand how helpful it's going to be to have it.

At the moment I have got this little bag to put everything in but found this case that has a place for everything so I can keep my meter and pens altogether.

Iv told all my friends about this now too so they know what to look out for, and they agree telling the bouncer is a pretty important thing to do when it comes to going out. Going to take it easy for now! Then the first time I go out not really drink anything. Not going to lie I am worried about going out drinking again.
Then it comes to the bag again and what to take everything in.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
EmmRoseTat said:
Sending of for my medi-bracelet soon! I totally understand how helpful it's going to be to have it.

At the moment I have got this little bag to put everything in but found this case that has a place for everything so I can keep my meter and pens altogether.

Iv told all my friends about this now too so they know what to look out for, and they agree telling the bouncer is a pretty important thing to do when it comes to going out. Going to take it easy for now! Then the first time I go out not really drink anything. Not going to lie I am worried about going out drinking again.
Then it comes to the bag again and what to take everything in.

I haven't gone crazy on drink yet since I've been diagnosed, but I have a few T1 friends who do! Make sure you take something sugary with you. I choose haribo but jelly babies etc work. I know some people throw in the odd none diet mixer to stop them dropping too low. And ALWAYS eat before bed without doing any insulin. When I've had a drink I set my alarm to go off at 7am so I could test (and have a glass of water!) just to keep an eye on things. I think that could be a good post night out habit to get in to!

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Samantha98 said:
I got my bag at girly girl studios. It's online and you can also design a bag. I think you should look it up because it has loads of options. I hope you find something! :)

Nice idea! I might take a look too

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Someone posted about "Joe's Small In One", it's a small case that you can carry your insulin, meter and needles in. It's small enough to fit in my back pocket.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
EmmRoseTat said:

My bracelet has just arrived. I have a nickle allergy but I found this hemp one where the metal doesn't come into contact with my skin. I won't mind wearing this on nights out!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1366734098.757957.jpg
    ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1366734098.757957.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 1,238
  • ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1366734137.440565.jpg
    ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1366734137.440565.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 1,255

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oops I've been calling you Hayley since you've been on here!

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Haha I hadn't noticed! But that's a fairly standard mistake to make, my boss still calls me Hayley and I've been there 7 months now.....

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hello kimberly.
I like your new medi bracelet it looks really trendy too :thumbup:

With regards to your loose insulin pens needles etc - would a funky pencil case help ?

I have a multicoloured hearts one to keep all my insulin pens,spare cartridge,needles,wipes etc in ...
It fits into my handbag nicely either down the side stood upright or laid along the top, on top of all my
other girly stuff !

I have and use the kipling messenger bags when out walking, as they leave my arms and hands free .
Ideal for when walking my 2 doggys .

There are different sized pencil cases too , even double ones in these a meter and test strips would fit
in - no problem's .

Hope this can help .

Anna .

EmmRoseTat

Re: Glucose levels dropping what to do?

Kim where did you get yours from it looks really nice!!!! Seen several but not quite like yours!

Using a little bag at the moment but have found a case that I can keep all my pens and monitor altogether not quite trendy enough for a night out though :-?

Altho im just not sure there is something that I'm thinking of.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Nice

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app