Full Contact Sports and Insulin Pumps

Diagnosed 6 years ago and injecting Novo Rapid and Levemir ever since, I am about to start my journey with insulin pumps - I have chosen the AccuChek Spirit by Roche. Mainly because of the remote/bg meter option, but also because it seemed like the one for me.

My question is thus: I play roller derby ( a full contact sport on roller skates) and am worried about where to put the pump when I am playing - training sessions are weekly and vary from 2-6 hours at a time, so taking the pump off isn't really an option.

Any suggestions?

PS. To get an idea of what I do look at this: www.plymouthcityrollergirls.co.uk/gallery

JaneC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use the Omnipod as its small, waterproof and as I do all sorts of sports, I don't have to think about it. Good for women too as it's hideable under most clothing. I sound as though I work for the company but having been a type one for 27 years and a pump user for 15 months, it was the only one I'd consider. There are no wires to get caught either, there are problems but it's worth researching as probably everyone will push their own pump.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Are there any places that are least likely to get contacted with when doing roller derby?

I wear my pump on the outside of my upper arm hel in place by 2 tubi grips ( on prescription ). Just tried to see whether I could turn it round to the inside of my arm.. Yep its possible...

Thanks guys - there aren't many places that are not contacted during roller derby - maybe the inside of the arm would be the best place, but even then there is impact on that area! in a bit of a jam - I can see my only available option might be to put it in my knickers!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Sounds good idea.. Best place will be between the cheeks!!-lol!!

MonoJono

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Id take it off. If someone smashes it or thumps it into your hip or back the injury would be worse (im sure) .
Surely you can remove an insulin pump for an hour or so?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Read original OP question again... Trainingsessios vary between 2-6 hrs!!!!

pumppimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You might find it funny but in your pants is where mine stays. Not between my cheeks but in the little knook at the top of my leg. I've never tried roller hockey. but this is where mine stays mountain biking kayaking and being tossed around by my friends. If I've fallen or been bashed into it never hits that part of my body. Down my sports bra is another place but it doesn't work if you've got small boobs not much padding!!!
Laura :wink:

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
With training sessions being once a week then why not use a rapid insulin pen and take your pump off - inject your basal via the pen each hour (or two).

BTW the combo is a great pump :)

Aria_May

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
im worried about this too as I'm training in professional wrestling.. do you think that the pump will affect this ?

Aria

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've been researching pumps as my first 4 years is up so can change if I want. I've come across users saying the issue with omnipod is if the pod gets a firm knock it fails and you need to replace pod. This might make omnipod unsuitable for your sport so just thought I'd mention it. What about clipped on your bra or inside the cup?

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Actually you might have to be careful as most if not all pump manufacturers say pump must be removed for contact sport. The warranty would be invalid if the pump got damaged during them. During the training can you have the pump on a bench nearby and reconnect at hourly intervals to give yourself some basal?

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Wrestling, of all contact sports, is going to be a tricky one. :-/

Aria_May

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Actually you might have to be careful as most if not all pump manufacturers say pump must be removed for contact sport. The warranty would be invalid if the pump got damaged during them. During the training can you have the pump on a bench nearby and reconnect at hourly intervals to give yourself some basal?
I know i can unclip the tubing and reattach it later but what I'm worried about is the cannula getting knocked or ripped out

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's got me thinking about cycling now, place least likely to cause problems if I come off? And running, place least likely to chafe?

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I know i can unclip the tubing and reattach it later but what I'm worried about is the cannula getting knocked or ripped out
Unfortunately close grappling might pull the cannula out, particularly if you were sweating. Any other contact sport except wrestling, and maybe rugby, you would be fine.

However putting a new cannula in is a few minutes work at most.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That's got me thinking about cycling now, place least likely to cause problems if I come off? And running, place least likely to chafe?
I think for cycling and running you will be fine. Just put it somewhere with minimal movement, so as long as you avoid the limbs when running or the legs when cycling you should be fine.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
if you look at professional rugby players, a lot of them have GPS units in the back of their shirts, high up between the shoulder blades - would that be a good location? You might need soemone to help you put it there though

Reactions: 2 people

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think for cycling and running you will be fine. Just put it somewhere with minimal movement, so as long as you avoid the limbs when running or the legs when cycling you should be fine.
running I agree, no problem, I don't tend to fall over. Biking, especially mountain biking I'll have to think about, just in case