Diabetic and a bodybuilder

carlrr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Arguments
Been diagnosed with diabetes for a week, not sure if its type 1 or 2 yet changed the diet straight away, dropped from 13st to 12st before I was diagnosed not happy about that and im struggling to reach 12 1/2 stone now obviously the carbs are low which is a main part of the problem
My readings are 15.9 but were 26
Does anyone have any advice on how to gain weight for my sport

Are there other members on here with the same problem?

PhilT

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
I know of a body builder on a low carb forum. He's bulking at the moment eating lots of protein :-

8.00 Whey
9.00 Casein
9.40 Casein
12.15 Casein and whey
1.30 Fish and salad
4.30 Fish and salad
8.50 Fish and salad
11.05 Chicken and brussels

Readings today
80.5kg 10.5% body fat 65.0% body water

I don't know what the diabetes will or won't do for you, but it's no barrier to eating plenty of protein or fats.

carlrr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Arguments
Thanks for this, I have ordered Casein and will put together a diet from Monday onwards, at the moment all over the place with trying to get my BG down, any reading over 13 is making me extremely irritable and my eyes are so blurry

PhilT

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
carlrr said:
Thanks for this, I have ordered Casein and will put together a diet from Monday onwards, at the moment all over the place with trying to get my BG down, any reading over 13 is making me extremely irritable and my eyes are so blurry

13 - Ouch ! Yes, please concentrate on getting that down and put the sport on a back-burner. We don't want to be admiring your body in a hospital bed ;-)

carlrr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Arguments
Thanks for your help

The way in which these meds are working (Not) think you will find me in hospital sooner rather than later

GP seems to want me to go blind

carlrr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Arguments
Got hold of the Casein will keep you and the forum posted on progression :)

accucheck

if person suffering from diabetes if person take healthy diet and exercise daily person should build body very fast healthy diet is very important to healthy diet it is very effective and exercise burn you fats which help to lose weight

thanks

carlrr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Arguments
I dont want to lose weight, I want to maintain the weight I aready have and also gain weight

The diet that I am following is low carb and high protien so my bodyshape is becoming lean muscle

Insulin also helps to build muscle with the correct diet

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi Carlrr please be very careful exercising when you have very high blood sugars as it can in fact be dangerous, I'm not sure what the cut off level is but I'm sure Ive read somewhere about not doing any strenuous exercise over 12 mmol/L or something.

Perhaps someone will know more about this and can post the correct advice as strenuous exercise can and will increase blood glucose levels if they are high to start with.

carlrr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Arguments
Hi Sid

Thanks for this, I was under the impression that exercise lowered your blood sugars

I am learning as I go, but it would be interesting to find out

B

badcat

I was advised not to do exercise with sugars over 10 - the way it was explained by the medics is that your body thinks it needs more energy to fuel the exercise and because it can't access the sugar already in your bloodstream due to the diabetes it releases more from the liver, pushing your sugars even higher

GlazedDoughnuts

Diabetes (as long as it's well controlled) won't make much of a difference.

Here my mini story, was suspected of having diabetes when a child but it wasn't chased any further.

- Over the years got into body building, always hit a brick wall fairly quickly, just couldnt build muscle mass.
- Repeat above step many times through out a period of 10 years (yes, really)
- Around a year and a half ago, the GF at the time realised I was a diabetic, got me to do a blood test was placed on Insulin pretty quickly.

Ever since, I am packing on muscle like a normal person, I can manipulate my Insulin and now have awesome control. Blood sugars always within 4-7mmol, even after meals. I do a five day split, two days Martial Arts, 3 days early morning cardio.

Weight sessions increase blood sugars by 2-3mmol, but as I start around the 4.x mmol mark, it's fine.

Bulked up well a few months ago, now on a cut. Once again, just take your basal/bolus Insulin and you will grow!

carlrr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Arguments
Now I have found that my BG goes lower, yesterday I started on a 8 and was down to 4.2 during training I actually had the shakes, and then needed a bacon sandwich.
What insulin do you use and how many units
How heavy are you and how tall?

GlazedDoughnuts

5'7" - 11 stone 6 - currently cutting.

Was 13 stone at the start of Jan 2013. Done a dreamer bulk as it was the first time I was able to put on mass/strength nicely, never again, cutting from a high bf% is no fun.

On levemir - 28 units split into two doses, AM/PM.
Novorapid - 24 units a day.

Calorie intake: 1600 - 1900kcal a day, I increase on days I do Martial Arts, as I find it more exhausting than a weight session/cardio session.

Looking to cut down to 10% bf and then do a clean bulk. Intermittent fasting has been a god send to me, provides me with amazing control, fat loss and muscle retention.

All calories consumed in a 4 hour window, and so my Novorapid wears off by the time I hit the weights, I assume that's why my sugars go up rather than down. Exercise makes us hyper sensitive towards Insulin.

I've had them go down whilst on a bulk, as I would eat around 1.5 hours before my weights session, so the Novorapid was still active and would end up using glucose tabs during workout.

Hope this helps.

carlrr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Arguments
you should use both casian and whey protein its great for lean mass

One of the things you said is that your sugar levels go up when you do weights, why would you have a glucose tab?

I am currently at 3.7 after a workout it was 4.7 before breakfast

GlazedDoughnuts

carlrr said:
you should use both casian and whey protein its great for lean mass

One of the things you said is that your sugar levels go up when you do weights, why would you have a glucose tab?

I am currently at 3.7 after a workout it was 4.7 before breakfast

Because in the past they use to drop, I assume this is due to taking Insulin less than two hours prior to exercise and becoming hyper sensitive post exercise.

Now days I take my last shot of Novorapid around 4 hours before exercise, so I assume it's no longer active after that amount of time.