Bedwetting Help!!!

k3lly

My son who is 8 has been diagnosed as type 1 3 weeks ago. Hes this week started to wet the bed. He is so embarrassed even though we have reassured him. Ive noticed when reading online that its a symptom sometimes of type 1 in children along with increased thirst, increased urinating and weight loss. He has never wet the bed before diagnosis and all other symptoms have now subsided. Is it normal after diagnosis? Will it stop? Is it diabetes or is it maybe stress? Just worried we saying and doing the right things

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would think it's just stress. I have no children of my own, but my niece is 7 but she's had 2 periods of bed wetting, once when she started a new school and once when her brother was born. It's a confusing time for him. We just "ignored" the wetting and the whole family chipped in to making her feel ok with the difficult situations and it passed.

If you're at all concerned ask your DSN about it

glenmoray

You might find he has lost some control of his bladder. Before you are diagnosed your bladder is stretched to high capacity with all the urine he was passing. When I was diagnosed type 1 I had to make a 5 mile journey on a bus. I had to get off the bus 4 times to find a toilet. I was told by my diabetic consultant when I was diagnosed I might loose some control of my bladder because of the trauma I had caused to my bladder. Don't worry things should sort it self out as the bladder recovers.

alaska

It could be that his sugar levels are on the high side before and/or during the night.

When sugar levels are high, the kidneys will take glucose out of the blood and will take glucose and water out of the blood to be passed out as urine.

It is common for higher sugar levels to necessitate trips to the toilet during the night. If your son is not waking up when his body needs to pass urine he will sadly wet the bed.

If your son is having higher sugar levels before bed or in the early morning, this may provide an explanation. Ideally sugar levels should be in the recommended range which may help to reduce the chances of a wet bed, but low sugar levels should also be avoided of course so you may need to find a safe balance as best you can.

I hope things begin to improve and I'm sure they will.

All the best
Ed

k3lly

Thanks for the advice. We are not making a big deal of it and hoping it will sort itself out. I will have a chat to his nurse but dont like to bother her as I know she is busy. Thanks again,its so good ive found this site so I can ask all you great people advice. Its so scary being a mum to a diabetic child

blackcat79

My son isnt diabetic at i no off but does have this problem. He uses a spray at night from docs. I too had it as a child. Maybe spk to doc.
Just a thought n son wears them night pants u can get so he doesnt wet the bed etc.
Sue

Gussy

When I was a boy I had no diabetes but did wet my bed till almost 16. At that time a doctor told me to strengthen my bladder muscel. This was done by interrupting the release of urine while urinating a few times and do this every time . It worked ! Now I have diabetes 2 and although I have sometimes serious pressure it can still manage that part very well.

sab

I have just attended to my boy who has wet himself in bed.
he went to bed at 11pm being holidays with BG of 7.5, i gave him a biscuit to keep him going till morning( i am in the middle of increasing his insulin dose due to higher BG levels) At 1am i hear the bathroom door slam shut and i awake to find my son has wet the bed.
I have checked his BG which was 5.7 so i know that the reason for bed wetting is not high BG. My son was diagnosed with diabetes at the age of 4 after episodes of bedwetting. he would wet himself every night and then with all the shouting i did, he soon learnt to wake up 5/6 times a night to visit the toilet, at this point i realised something was wrong and took him to the doctors to be told he was diabetic.
I have come to realise over the years its not high BG levels that makes my son wet the bed its drinking more fluids after 6pm along with a active day. He gets to tired to wake up to visit the bathroom.
try checking your sons BG after a bedwetting episode to make sure he is not high.

David147

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Time to see the doctor. There are medical conditions that can cause that problem, and most of them have treatments that work.