New lease of life!

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
I'm so happy! Maybe it has something to do with the weather, I think a bit of sunshine cheers everyone up. But also Thanks to this forum Im 3 stone lighter than I was nearly a year ago. Ive rediscovered by bike, my wii fit and dance games and now Im all ready to go swimming for the 1st time in at least a year. I can't wait. Its strange how I now seem to have a healthy liking for exercise, a year ago a walk to the corner shop was too much of an effort!

Low carb and knowing I have diabetes has changed my life for the better!!!

Rosebud

Hi Lenny3
Well done you. 3 stone is amazing.
I lost 5 stone last year with weight watchers but now I'm on insulin I seem to be gaining weight every week
I have been trying to low carb and eat well but tonight after a hard 12 hour shift at work I have ate four chicken legs four tea cakes and a magnum lolly.
I know the insulin is saving my life but gaining weight is so depressing
Before I went on the insulin I was losing weight every week
Tomorrow I will start again .Have you any tips on low carbing
How do you kill the hunger ?
So keep up the good work you are an inspiration to me
Rosebud

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Hi Rosebud,

I will admit that being threatened with insulin probably did it for me. I went searching the internet and ended up here. I was afraid of insulin for all the main reasons including injecting but also because I was sure it'd make me put on weight.

I tend to eat cheese, meat and veg, cream, Sugarfree jelly, eggs. I also make some of the low carb receipes I have found on here. I try to keep to 30 -50g of carbs a day. For snacking I'm terrible, but I live alone, so I don't buy anything bad anymore. I snack on salted peanuts, greek yog with a few berries, cheese, salami sticks from lidl, (i prefer these to peperami), celery with seriously strong cheese spread on it or peanut butter on it, jelly and cream or 2 squares of 74% cocoa chocolate that I buy from lidl, occasionally I might be naughty and have 4 squares. I also buy sugarfree marshmallows from sainsburys. I make quiches with bacon and cheese but no pastry.

Good luck and I hope Ive given you some ideas. Feel free to ask me anything. Ive found that a small amount of success can seriously change your mood and confidence. Ive still got about 9 stone to lose.

Rosebud

Thank you Lenny3
I will try what you have suggested with the food.
Cheese,eggs are what I stayed away from when I lost the 5 stone so it's hard to get my head around eating these foods now
Being Irish its so hard not to have bread and potatoes because when I was young that's what we lived on
Thanks again
Rosebud

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Well I went swimming last night and it felt great. Im going again tomorrow and signing up for 6 months. It's wierd though I saw the squash courts and got me thinking how much I liked squash when I was at college. I think my brain is excited to do more exercise than my body maybe ready for! :lol:

I like swimming and cycling though, especially as they are both low impact. I have dodgy knees, which should hopefully be happier the more weight I lose!

Rosebud, Hope your doing well?