subcutaneous injection -should I be worried?

alby tross

I started on Bydureon a month ago and today I injected myself at home for the very first time. I haven't been feeling well (not related to my diabetes) and forgot to push the plunger back to the black line before injecting. As the liquid went in, I heard a 'squelchy' noise, which I presume was air. All the fluid went in and I feel okay, but being a nervous person, I am a little bit concerned.

I phoned my surgery and asked to speak to the diabetic nurse, but she was not there. the receptionist said she would get her to call back, but two hours later - nothing. I tried phoning again but it's continually engaged.

I am sure that, had there been a problem, I would have noticed it by now, but I just need a little bit of reassurance.

mrburden

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
alby tross said:
I started on Bydureon a month ago and today I injected myself at home for the very first time. I haven't been feeling well (not related to my diabetes) and forgot to push the plunger back to the black line before injecting. As the liquid went in, I heard a 'squelchy' noise, which I presume was air. All the fluid went in and I feel okay, but being a nervous person, I am a little bit concerned.

I phoned my surgery and asked to speak to the diabetic nurse, but she was not there. the receptionist said she would get her to call back, but two hours alter - nothing. I tried phoning again but it's continually engaged.

I am sure that, had there been a problem, I would have noticed it by now, but I just need a little bit of reassurance.

Air in the bloodstream is called an air embolism. Ideally there shouldn't be any air in the blood as it can cause serious problems. However, small amounts injected under the skin generally have no ill effects. Any amount injected directly into a blood vessel can cause problems to the area that the air is transported to by starving the organ/area of blood or by introducing airborne infections. I have occasionally heard an air bubble squirt through the needle in the past with no problems. But I was closely monitored after a nurse allowed an air bubble to go into my arm through a drip cannula while I was in hospital a few years back. I felt it go up the side of my neck and they tilted the hospital bed so that my feet were up hill for a while.
I'm sure that you won't have any issues with the small amount that went in and by now any potential problems would have shown themselves.

alby tross

Thank-you very much for your reply. I injected into my rather 'curvy' tummy area, so would have been well away from my bloodstream. I feel fine, and will remember to be extra careful next time. :)

peecee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I've done similar, when i checked with the doctor i was told that a bit of air into the subcutaneous layer would not be harmful, all i do now is to make sure there are no big bubbles in my pen and if i do get any clear them out before injecting. Keeping pressure on the plunger until the needle has been screwed off will also help to keep air out of the pen :)

alby tross

peecee said:
I've done similar, when i checked with the doctor i was told that a bit of air into the subcutaneous layer would not be harmful, all i do now is to make sure there are no big bubbles in my pen and if i do get any clear them out before injecting. Keeping pressure on the plunger until the needle has been screwed off will also help to keep air out of the pen :)

Thank-you. I use a syringe, but I am sure that the principle is the same. :)

peecee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
My Byetta comes in a pen style injector, but yes a similar principle, i think you would have to take more care in expelling air from your syringe as with my pen i only get the occasional bubble.