Type 2 with bowel problems help

JIMDOG1

Dislikes
patranising dr and nurses lol
Hi Folks

type 2 was on 3 x 500 metformin need little need advice and info on what life is like with colitis ibs

ill say whats been happening over the last 3 weeks ive been graduley getting worse over weeks tired lose bowels freaquent night urination drinking lot of fluids water squash etc all sugar free tho my bs have been rising steadaly from my normal 5 - 9 then to late teens last week then sat over 20 to my meter going of the scale just saying hi got a reading of 33 that night so bit concerned checked sun morning hi so went down hospital after 3 hours blood taken reading of 26 in hospital consultant said ok u can here is pescription for increase of metformin and glicazide and u need to get your bloods checked by your gp ie get your own hbac1 ok bye well got back had little cereal 2 hours later bs 31.3 diner was just a little bit of meat carrots which i only ate half because i was feeling sick high all night and monday tuesday morning went to work got out of my truck then woke up in hospital around miday in quite bit of pain in abdomen consultant spoke to me saying i have possible colitis or ibs my bs were 27 on arrival with no keytones present i was put on sliding scale insulin to bring my levels down and lots of iv bags after getting out friday with saying ive got to go to my gp for referal for colonscopy and ct scan.

so in all ive been put back on insulin and glicazide and metformin but i realy want to get off insulin again i did that 6 months after first diagnosis 3 years ago and just stayed on metformin but docs says tablets wont realy work if im having lose bowels im very worried that i might have that problem of ibs or colitis my bowel movments have never been that great in past but ive never suffered like that in last few weeks.

sorry for long story folks just a bit concerned now any advice will be greatly apreciated

JIMDOG1

Dislikes
merrymax69 said:
Are you on slow release Metformin?

i think just normal metformin 500mg tablets acording to packet does not say slow release

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I would certainly ask your doctor to change your tablets to Metformin SR (Slow Release); sometimes called Metformin ER (Extended Release). This should help at least to some extent with your bowel problems.

JIMDOG1

Dislikes
Daibell said:
Hi. I would certainly ask your doctor to change your tablets to Metformin SR (Slow Release); sometimes called Metformin ER (Extended Release). This should help at least to some extent with your bowel problems.
I have certainly lot of questions for him as while in hospital did not get to go into great detail with docs there due to being drugged up

I hope it just case of needing med change as I don't think I can cope at mo with new problem I was so gutted being put back on insulin

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm on 3 x 850 mg metformin (the standard stuff), had terrible trouble with my stomach and bowels. Saw a Gastroenterologist who did a barium follow-through. Said nothing was wrong but that I had a fast digestion. Was prescribed Amitryptylene - they sorted the problem but these raised my BS. I cut wheat out of my diet and I only get problems very rarely. It is worth considering cutting out wheat and not replacing it with gluten free products.

JIMDOG1

Dislikes
))Denise(( said:
I'm on 3 x 850 mg metformin (the standard stuff), had terrible trouble with my stomach and bowels. Saw a Gastroenterologist who did a barium follow-through. Said nothing was wrong but that I had a fast digestion. Was prescribed Amitryptylene - they sorted the problem but these raised my BS. I cut wheat out of my diet and I only get problems very rarely. It is worth considering cutting out wheat and not replacing it with gluten free products.
I'm definitely looking at my diet at the moment its bit of struggle because can't seem to ear properly get times were I start to eat and just feel sick bloated my bs seems to be coming down a bit but mayby because I've uped my insulin 3 units but still 8 to 13

cherylle

I thought it was only me! Im on 1500 metformin bread causes me my bowel problem no end and white bread nearly kills me.So i dont eat anything bread or pastry and am ok.

JIMDOG1

Dislikes
cherylle said:
I thought it was only me! Im on 1500 metformin bread causes me my bowel problem no end and white bread nearly kills me.So i dont eat anything bread or pastry and am ok.

to behonest since getting out or while in hospital ive not had any white bread or cereal changed what ive eaten no chrisps but still getting bad cramps bowels sickness my bs not dropped below 8 ive gone back to whole grain for daily sandwich i work 12hr days just getting stressed with it all had full blown panic attack / break down monday had to fly from work in tears parked up on verge near my caravan just crying shaking spent whole night shaking