Diabetes in a can.

sdgray22

Dislikes
Loud Music, Confrontations, blood and gore on the TV
Re: Diabetes in a can.

I feel justified this morning, I have been proved right. When I was diagnosed I was not greatly overweight which seems to be the one factor that all healthworkers latch on to but I was drinking at least a couple of pints of fruit juice a day. It was my staple drink rather than tea or water or even coke or cans and had been for years. I at no time thought it was bad I thought it was healthy. I really liked Tescos Tropical fruit juice and could drink it like water. I said on diagnosis "why didn't someone say, why wasn't I warned about juice and drinks?" The only thing I can remember thinking about before diagnosis was my teeth I knew juice wasn't good for teeth. There needs to be large warnings written on soft drinks and juice. "Drinking can cause diabetes". I now treat any kind of juice and full sugar drink like poison and it seems so should everyone else. I warn everyone I know not to drink fruit juice or cans in any quantity at all, it is dangerous. Now I no longer sound mad when I say it.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)

I'm sure they must have a point or do they! Some research is skewed, look at the Ancel Keys research about fat!!!
I've never drunk fizzy drinks, can't stand them, or fresh juice. I was thin until I had a hysterectomy and then the menopause and 5 yrs later became diabetic, I think its the way fat is distributed around the body.
I was also vegetarian - high carbs. It's surprising if you look in a veggie magazine just how much is based around carbs.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

sdgray22 said:
I feel justified this morning, I have been proved right. When I was diagnosed I was not greatly overweight which seems to be the one factor that all healthworkers latch on to but I was drinking at least a couple of pints of fruit juice a day. It was my staple drink rather than tea or water or even coke or cans and had been for years. I at no time thought it was bad I thought it was healthy. I really liked Tescos Tropical fruit juice and could drink it like water. I said on diagnosis "why didn't someone say, why wasn't I warned about juice and drinks?" The only thing I can remember thinking about before diagnosis was my teeth I knew juice wasn't good for teeth. There needs to be large warnings written on soft drinks and juice. "Drinking can cause diabetes". I now treat any kind of juice and full sugar drink like poison and it seems so should everyone else. I warn everyone I know not to drink fruit juice or cans in any quantity at all, it is dangerous. Now I no longer sound mad when I say it.

I'm not saying that drinking that large amounts of fruit juice is necessarily good but in fact this study found.

there was no association between diabetes and consumption of juices and nectars

a little more detail than the Mail article here
http://www.medpagetoday.com/PrimaryCare/Diabetes/38669
Actually if you want you can download the whole paper from the Diabetologia website,( possibly for a limited time only, that sometimes happens with new papers)
http://www.diabetologia-journal.org/

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.

"He said: ‘This finding adds to growing global literature suggesting that there is a link between consumption of sugar-sweetened beverages, obesity and risk of development of type 2 diabetes."

Before everyone points the finger at full sugar Coke and Pepsi, I assume this also applies to anyone who drinks tea or coffee with sugar in?

Will read the references (thanks Phoenix) but my first thought is that drinking sweetened drinks is probably an indication of a general liking for and consumption of sugary things.

You would need to study two sets of people on identical diets apart from the sugary drinks to have a real correlation between diabetes and one sugar sweetened beverage a day.

Cheers

LGC

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.

Oh, and
"The authors said the study was limited by the clinical definition of type 2 diabetes, lack of follow-up dietary data, a definition of juices and nectars that included those with and without added sugar, and possible measurement errors. The study was also limited by center-specific factors, possible residual confounding, and possible reverse causality."

Which I think translates to something like correlation does not imply causation.

Cheers

LGC

P.S. Phoenix, do you have a reference to search on for the Diabetologia site? The article isn't showing on the front page but I I had Volume/Issue I could search for it.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I have been reading scientific research papers for over 10 years, mainly to do with genetic anthropology, and I have never seen a single one reported accurately in a newspaper or on TV. I remember Dr Paul Budd stating after his publication on the oxygen isotope analysis on the 'Amesbury Archer', "we had fun trying to answer the media's questions in such a way that would not allow them to tell the story that they wanted to tell".

As Phoenix has pointed out the paper, Consumption of sweet beverages and type 2 diabetes incidence in European adults: results from EPIC-InterAct, is available for download at http://www.diabetologia-journal.org

One of the aims was to test the effect of artifically sweeted drinks and natural juices. They explain,

"A meta-analysis published in 2010 provides empirical evidence for a link between the consumption of sugar-sweetened beverages (defined as drinks containing energy sweeteners, such as sucrose, high-fructose corn syrup and fruit juice concentrate [i.e. soft drinks and juices with added sugars]) and type 2 diabetes."

So there is nothing new in this observation, but:

"The association between the consumption of other beverage types (i.e. 100% juices and artificially sweetened drinks) and type 2 diabetes risk is less clear, with some studies showing inconsistent results."

They report:

Results
In adjusted models, one 336 g (12 oz) daily increment in sugar-sweetened and artificially sweetened soft drink consumption was associated with HRs for type 2 diabetes of 1.22 (95% CI 1.09, 1.38) and 1.52 (95% CI 1.26, 1.83), respectively. After further adjustment for energy intake and BMI, the association of sugar-sweetened soft drinks with type 2 diabetes persisted (HR 1.18, 95% CI 1.06, 1.32), but the association of artificially sweetened soft drinks became statistically not significant (HR 1.11, 95% CI 0.95, 1.31). Juice and nectar consumption was not associated with type 2 diabetes incidence.

Conclusions/interpretation
This study corroborates the association between increased incidence of type 2 diabetes and high consumption of sugar sweetened soft drinks in European adults.

HR by the way is a statistical term and stands for Hazard-Regression. It is a way of determining risk, in this case, of getting type 2 diabetes. They are relative probabilities not absolute probabilities, eg A is, for example, 2 times more likely to get this or that than B is. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proportion ... rds_models

Scardoc

sdgray22 said:

I'm sorry but the warning is already displayed on the fruit juice bottle - look at the sugar content! I enjoy a glass of Tesco's Tropical Fruit juice too with my breakfast but it's one glass and I allow for it when I work out my insulin needs. These drinks (especially when made from concentrate) are loaded with sugar. Remember Sunny D? Advertised as a healthy start to the day for your kids but it was nothing but sugar!

The article quotes: "This is important for Type 2 diabetes because we know that maintaining a healthy weight is the single most important thing you can do to prevent it."

Too much of anything containing sugar is never going to help this. I read these articles but I think they are all saying the same thing at the end of the day. Fizzy drinks today, it'll be something else tomorrow. End message, eat healthy, look after yourself............. nothing new.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

LittleGreyCat said:
P.S. Phoenix, do you have a reference to search on for the Diabetologia site? The article isn't showing on the front page but I I had Volume/Issue I could search for it.

It's a zip file, http://www.diabetologia-journal.org/files/Romaguera.zip

and it contains 9 files:, the paper itself and four supplementary figures and four supplementary tables which the paper refers to.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Scardoc said:
Too much of anything containing sugar is never going to help this. I read these articles but I think they are all saying the same thing at the end of the day. Fizzy drinks today, it'll be something else tomorrow. End message, eat healthy, look after yourself............. nothing new.

Yes, it even states the same in the last paragraph:

"Soft drinks are safe to consume but, like all other food and drink, should be consumed in moderation."