• Sometimes

Votes: 77 33.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Selfish people, arseholes who think they know it all, ignoramuses, chavs and people with no manners. People who play music on the bus or train full blast on their phones.
1973 - do you mean on diabetic pages on facebook or non-diabetic pages? What can anyone be so spiteful about?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
MCMLXXIII said:
Anyone tried commenting regarding their Diabetes on the facebook page? The animosity there is terrible:sad:
Why the animosity? I'm lucky, I can't get and don't want facebook :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

All the best RRB

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I mean the pages belonging to the forum that Facebook users can "comment" on. Totally wound me up today some (door) knobs on there.

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Usual comets that would wind up any self respecting Diabetic.
I'm sure it's just to provoke.

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Selfish people, arseholes who think they know it all, ignoramuses, chavs and people with no manners. People who play music on the bus or train full blast on their phones.
Oh dear, I guess I'm quite fortunate. No one has ever been abusive towards me having diabetes. Then again, I'm up-front with everyone and let people know, friends, colleagues, acquaintances. I don't mean "I'm Martwolves and I'm diabetic", rather so that if I become ill they are aware what is wrong and know what to do. I'm also on warfarin and have ordered I'd bracelets should I need medical assistance or if i should go hypo. My friends, workmates, colleagues, etc are brilliant and wouln't dream of being so vile! It's discriminatory and inflammatory and working for a railway company with 35k staff, it would be acted upon. Our values are teamwork, respect, environment among others and would be taken seriously if anyone were to be bullied, as a previous line manager found out.
I'm saddened to hear this kind of abuse is prevalent on Facebook, but my friends are fiercely loyal and don't take much ****. I nearly died 16 months ago due to a bloodclot and I don't think they'd take any belittling lightly. Choose your friends wisely. Happy not to have experienced this kind of repulsive, hurtful behaviour!

Be strong and stay well! :)

Mart.

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
73 - don't give them the satisfaction. They want to demoralise you. They are uneducated. You can treat diabetes, stupidity is incurable :) chin up bud! We're here for you.

Mart

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
THANKYOU!

It was mainly strangers giving their 10 pence worth that got my goat up on an "open page" left to highlight Diabetes awareness. I found it very hard to resist a rise. I'm thick skinned and like a cornered Badger when riled !
Note to self: Avoid!.

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
I can lose my temper when people are unfair over things beyond our control. Not everyone assumes diabetes is self-inflicted, but many do. Let them make fools of themselves, they're like chilish bullies, no reaction and they'll soon get bored. I assume these are trolls looking for kicks and that's precisely what they'd get if I ever met them. I need to be careful what I say and how I say it, because light-heartedness and vitriol can easily be mistaken. This not a flippant issue and people can get easily riled and it's depressing enough a situation as it is. I'd avoid that forum and stay on places like this and use FB for your real friends and family. You shouldn't have to at all, but their contempt will only serve to gnaw away at you and you're better than that. You're soing your best with a complex illness and I for one am right behind you and other diabetes sufferers. This is inexcusable!

Good luck, comrade.

Sod 'em!

Mart.

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
martwolves said:
I can lose my temper when people are unfair over things beyond our control. Not everyone assumes diabetes is self-inflicted, but many do. Let them make fools of themselves, they're like chilish bullies, no reaction and they'll soon get bored. I assume these are trolls looking for kicks and that's precisely what they'd get if I ever met them. I need to be careful what I say and how I say it, because light-heartedness and vitriol can easily be mistaken. This not a flippant issue and people can get easily riled and it's depressing enough a situation as it is. I'd avoid that forum and stay on places like this and use FB for your real friends and family. You shouldn't have to at all, but their contempt will only serve to gnaw away at you and you're better than that. You're soing your best with a complex illness and I for one am right behind you and other diabetes sufferers. This is inexcusable!

Good luck, comrade.

Sod 'em!

Mart.
We WILL fight them on the beaches!:grin::grin: Nice one.

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
It's not FIGHTING, it's INTOLERABLE! Stiff upper-lip, take no nonsense. I know you'll show them!

Be yourself! Don't EVER change.

Mart.

kerrycakes

I've told people around me, and i did end out having to do the Facebook thing after a friend posting a diabetic cook book on my wall gave me a lot of concerned pm's so in the end i gave in and just telling everyone. Was not happy :evil:
Everyone was nice, though i had a few who were too nice bordering on stalkers for info about my life!
Anyway, its calmed now and i just get the odd sympathetic comments if im having a bad day. Give it a few more weeks and hopefully people will forget!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

linsay

I absolutely hate it when u tell someone who should know for safety and illness etc and they start on telling you how your body will work differently and what it will do. Well i dont know how they know cos neither me or my endocrine proffessor can tell me exactly! I especially hate when u tell ppl about hypos which in some cases you have to eg work and they say ok so how do we give you insulin!! Sorry for ranting but it makes me raging. If they listened properly i would give them the info they need to help and not things they wouldnt need. Aaaargh!!!

blueeyed81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Ive told people as n when and never had issues, I let people know so should I have a hypo they know what to do. I too hate being told what I can and cant eat because im diabetic, I can now turn on n off when anyone tries to or just tell them it's my body and I know it better than you so leave me be and that seems to work =).

Kelly :)

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't tell people unless they ask a question like "how have you lost all that weight?" Or my favourite "are you still on that diet!" Usually if I have to turn down a food and they question why I tend to just say because I don't like it - nothing to do with being private or ashamed of having T2 - it's just I can't be bothered with all the "oh such and such has that and they eat blah blah and they are fine so why don't you?" Or "go on a little bit won't hurt you"

Mind you if I am with my son (who is autistic and tells it like it is) the world and their father gets to know as whenever we are in sniffing distance of food he will say in a none too quiet voice "you can't have that mam can't ya cos your diabetic aren't ya! :lol:

cknmonster

depends on the situation really. I tend to keep my private life to myself. If i need to i will, but i dont shout it from the roof tops. I am me, not tagged by an illness.

flicc90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Now as I have got older I feel comfortable telling people I have diabetes. As I work in a food retail store and I'm on tje tills the topic comes up a lot surprisingly enough.... I know I made a least a handful of people more aware of diabetes.
When I was a child and teenager I know I never wanted to tell anyone ... Unless it got me out of doing P.E hehehe

sharrie42

My daughter has been diabetic for nearly a year and when she was diagnosed we had a visit to the school before her first day back and the teachers asked her whether she'd prefer that people knew or not. She was in primary 6 at the time and made the decision to tell the whole class. The teacher set aside time for her and she explained about her diabetes to them all and they asked questions, she also showed off all her kit and the class and her teacher were fascinated! :)

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Linsay, that's a real shame! Politely tell them to mind their own business and you're really ill to call an ambulance. I find people tend to ask a lot of questions, which is better as I know they care and are willing to learn. I don't mind answering as many of my answers are myth-busters. Good luck, gal.