What's the best diet for a diabetic ?

flicc90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi,
I am on a mission to finally shift some pounds.

Iv used slimming world before. Now I am trying a new one called 'spark people'.

Just want to know what other people have used, and how it helped them. Did it effect your sugars. And did you reach your goal weight ....

Let's share all the juicy gossip people

Many thanks x x x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

lrw60

Dislikes
salads, meat, being bored
Hi flicc90,

I joined Weight Watchers just over 2 years ago and found their diet very easy to stick to, so easy in fact that when I had lost 2 stones I realised that I was now in control of my eating habits for the first time in my life so I left them. I have now lost a total of 5 stones and would recommend WW to anyone, but do tell them you are diabetic, I didn't so I didn't get any special dietery advice. Mind you, I don't think anyone at WW knew about low carbing at the time and I don't know if they know about it now. I lost enough weight, from 17.5 stones to 12.5 stones, to come off all my diabetes meds and most of my blood pressure and cholesterol meds too. If you are a meat eater then you should find low carbing fairly easy.

Lee

flicc90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks you Lee for sharing that.
So happy for you and what you have achieved :D :clap:
My main goals are to come off most of my medication which I can.
I have already halved my insulin which has made me feel a bit better in myself :D

Did the diet help with your HbA1c?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
No diet as such but cutting back on portion size and not snacking between meals is what shifted the weight for me, if you burn more calories than you consume then the weight will eventually move. It took me nearly two years to shift over 2 stone but losing it slowly has helped me to keep it off which I never could have done before, I also think by not having as many hypo's as I use to also helped as treating hypo's does add to the calorie count.

lrw60

Dislikes
salads, meat, being bored
I am ashamed to say that before I found this forum I had never come across the term HbA1c. I don't know if my db nurse had ever mentioned it or if I had just not heard her if she said it. I do remember that over the several years I had db that my meds seemed to go up with each visit to her. I remember my metformin going up over the years to 4 pills per day which I think was 2000mg. (I wait to be corrected!) I do remember the first time my nurse started to reduce my meds and how amazed she was. It took 18 months before she would finally confirm that I no longer needed meds. I want to say "it had gone" but of course I now know, thanks to this forum once again, that I am not cured, I just don't have the need for medication to control my db. I am having a blood test next month which means that soon after I will be seeing my db nurse for the first time since I was taken off the meds last July. I will ask her if I can have any details of the way my db progressed over the years and then went away. I do firmly believe that there is a connection with weight and carbs. I am hoping to catch up with a friend soon who is also diabetic. He is a bit shorter than me, I am 5'9" and he is not much overweight but he has much worse db than I did and his meds have been raised in the past year. I will be asking him about his diet now I have learnt a bit more from this forum. If he is eating too many carbs I might be able to point him to a better diet.
Keep at it flicc90, but stay away from "fad" diets. With Weight Watchers I could eat anything I wanted, any foods I felt like, but in controlled amounts. And being diabetic we know about control don't we!
Lee

S2bdore

Hello I really hope you can help me as I eat so healthy I don't eat carbs anymore and no super at all so no cake all the nice stuff haha but I'm only 20 and love a good drink I no I really shouldn't but I still wanna live my life :( how do u guys cope with not drinking I don't drink every night just the odd Fridays but bing :( I lost a stone within a month of finding out I was diabetic but can't seem to shift the last 2 stones help is so needed please xxxxx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App