If You Could, Would You Rather Not Have Diabetes?

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I definitely make better lifestyle choices than I did when I wasn't diabetic. Everything freshly made/cooked, regular exercise, wine instead of beer (!).

One thing is for sure though, I would give anything not to have it.

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
With the greatest if respect, I can see no reason to want it given the choice.
Each to their own.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I certainly wish I didn't have it as I've gained weight because of it!

John506

I would say bye bye to diabetes within a heartbeat, no more injections, testing, appointments, blood test, highs, lows, restrictions, worrys. The Pros certainly weigh out the cons for me.

I would be straight down to the local all you can eat chinese and would be stuffing my face and not have to worry about taking 40 units of insulin, going high, getting dehydrated etc...

Wouldn't make a habit of it though of course!

ForeverDreaming

hale710 said:
Terryson10 said:
It's Dose Adjustment for Normal Eating. It's a method where you adjust your injection dose to match the amount of carbs you eat

Sent from Terryson10 using DCUK App

I don't think it's offered to children!

Emma it's something to ask about as a teenager, I think it's from 14 or 16 on wards.

as far as i know its called a sliding scale (in Australia) and i already use it. so i can eat whatever i want and just have more or less insulin

ForeverDreaming

Andy12345 said:
Hi, I think having diabetes has helped me make lots of good changes in my life and I feel terrific for them, but would I like to go out tonight and eat the entire chocolate aisle in the supermarket, yup! So yes I'd rather not :) though it wouldn't surprise me at all if when a cure is one day found, you are the one that finds it :)

i just want to say thankyou, thankyou so so much. not just to Andy12345, but all of you. just being a part of this website makes me quite happy about diabetes. thank you all so much :clap:

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
ForeverDreaming said:
Andy12345 said:
Hi, I think having diabetes has helped me make lots of good changes in my life and I feel terrific for them, but would I like to go out tonight and eat the entire chocolate aisle in the supermarket, yup! So yes I'd rather not :) though it wouldn't surprise me at all if when a cure is one day found, you are the one that finds it :)

i just want to say thankyou, thankyou so so much. not just to Andy12345, but all of you. just being a part of this website makes me quite happy about diabetes. thank you all so much :clap:

Hi :wave: Its always best to try and be positive when diagnosed with a medical condition. But my answer would be a resounding, YES, I would rather NOT have Type 1 Diabetes and this is a good forum isn't it?

Take care with best wishes RRB

flicc90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
To be honest....I don't think I would get rid of it.
I know for a fact if I wasn't diagnosed with diabetes... I would have been the really obease child.

As much as I hate having diabetes I think it has helped me grow as a person

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

sharonValerie

Hello Emma,

I have to say that I do agree with you about being different, however for me, I appreciate life a lot more, I have Type 1 diabetes and have suffered for many years with no hypo warning signs and levels dropping suddenly very quickly with me ending up in a coma and being taken to hospital. I have wonderful doctors at the hospital who take care of me, though they have been exasperated and not being able to stop this happening, I have wished many times that I was not diabetic, but I am and I can't change that. For me life is very precious, When I wake up, I'm happy I have another day to do battle with this condition. I hope you remain very healthy and enjoy your life. There may be bad time ahead, but believe me there are many great times as well. :) :)

Hi Emma, I would not change being diabetic either. I not see the point of wanting to chane anything about yourself, I like me ( warts and all) and our imperfections are what make us different. Sure it's a pain in the butt at times and you have to plan ahead but it's just one of those things. I remember my diabetic nurse telling me that your diabetes does not define or control you, it should be the other way around and I think she was so right.
Your parents should be so proud of you, you seem very well adjusted. Remember, if you ever have a blimp this forum is a great source of information and support.
Take care and good luck. X

colaguzzler

yes emma i would prefer not to have diabetes i am type 1 with kidney complications ,diabetes neuropathy in both legs i also need 2 walking sticks with the added complication of nerve bowel damage plus i have had 2 eye operartions for diabetic retinpathy .
i know you are young and i do hope that you are not as unlucky as myself .
i did work for more than 30 yrs with the condition until the neuropathy forced me to retire early now i can't even leave the house mytip to you is make sure that your blood sugars are normal as much as you can that way you stand a good chance of avoiding all the other bits

JANROU

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Given a choice I wouldn't have type1, however I can think of far worse things to deal with so maybe it's a case of better the devil you know as my grandma used to say

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App