Does the insulin pump work

head323

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
smoking
I been told my hab1c is extremely high and for now I got to concentrate on the injections but if they don't work the doc and nurses are saying the pump would be best for me . Before I make the choice to go down that line for the pump I need to know wud it work and things bout it like when I want a bath shower do I take it off how doss it work etc . So if anyone reading this and has a pump would you be so kind to share your story with me as I bit nervous if the pump doesn't work what then ?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
The pump can work if you are committed to making it work.
It is not an easy way to manage diabetes.

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi. Like the other reply says you need to be committed to a pump as it takes a lot of setting up.

I was reluctant to get a pump at first as I hated the idea of something stuck to me 24/7 and also a cannula inserted into my skin. However, wearing it and having a cannula wasn't nearly as bad as I imagined and I'm glad I went for a pump now. Sure, it is annoying sometimes to position my pump where it is less visible under clothes, but on the whole I am happy.

The good thing is I can adjust my basal dose hour by hour, which I have found to be really useful (however this did take a lot of testing and fasting!). When I eat I calculate my carbs and then my pump works out how much insulin to give me (again I needed to test to work out my carb:insulin ratios). This has helped to improve my control (my main issue was swinging between highs and lows).

My pump unclips from my cannula so when I shower and swim I can take it off (I don't know if every make does this).

If u can go and ask about pumps and ask to look at them and hold them. This helped me to come to terms with getting one (I did have a lot of should I or shouldn't I moments) and also helped me to choose the pump I liked best.

Hope that info helps and good luck!

tinyroman

Hi
I've been on a pump for about six weeks now, and was worried about exactly the same things as you. I was terrified the first time I took a bath and hurried after taking the cannula out just in case something awful happened (which it didn't). What if I pulled it out the tube when I tossed and turned while asleep? Being female I bought a few of those really stretchy bras and put the pump there at night; I don't even know its there, and sleep no prob. Sometimes my chest looks a bit funny when the pump sticks out of my bra during the day, but what the heck!
The cannula sticks on really well, so it's unlikely to be pulled off, and the bit that goes into the body is just a tiny plastic tube and I've found it painless to put in.
Tuning the insulin requirements is tricky, I've found, and haven't got it sussed yet, but I'll get there, and I'm sure if you went for a pump, you would too. So even though I'm still an amateur, I honestly think it's brilliant.

Switch2501

I was reluctant at first. I did the carb counting course (ICE) and thought "nah I'll give it a go without.
1 year later and although my control was better, my hba1c was still over 9.5.

I went for a pump and now I'd never look back.
I don't have the bra issue being a bloke but I tend to wear my pump like a badge of honour. It generally gets people asking questions which I'm happy to answer.

I'm using the "quick set" cannula.
It hours in at 90 degrees (like a needle would if you are using a pen). It's a tiny little plastic tube that you can't feel once you've put it in.
The quick set can unclip the tube from the insertion site and has a handy stopper that clips in place over the top if you are going to go swimming or for a bath.

You can be disconnected from the pump for up to an hour before you start getting in to problems.

The set up for the pump should be ok. The DNS will go through everything step by step and they should do it at a pace that suits you.

:)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

adrian29459

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi head323

I highly recommend an insulin pump. I've had one for 2 years now, like Switch 2501 I use a quick set cannula. The benefits far outweigh those of injections. I'll list a few:
- Take insulin at any point during the day. This allows you to be much more spontaneous and avoid difficult situations you may have with larger multi course meals.
- Before you may have had upto 5 injections a day. Now you only need to insert the cannula every 3 days (some people do 2 days). Its relatively pain free, not much worse than a finger prick.
- You have the ability to turn off insulin. This is helpful if you're going to do some strenuous exercise or if you have low blood sugar/hypoglycaemia.
- Discreetly inject insulin in public without having to go to the toilets or get your belly out and inject in public.
- Combine with a CGM device to provide blood glucose levels 24/7. Though not as accurate as a finger test, the CGM can help spot problem patterns so you can then adjust your pump basal to avoid. Currently though CGM aren't available for funding (as far as I know). But worth a one off purchase for a few units.
- Connects to blood tester and will take BG reading into account when calculating doses for meals. Enter the carbohydrates for a meal and the machine will work out any correction and no. of units for the meal.

There are probably many more benefits with insulin pump therapy. I've had a few minor problems, due to my terrible memory I sometimes forget to reactivate the basal after a shower.

Once I was at a swimming pool and going down a slide on my stomach caused my cannula to be removed from my belly. I was at the pool for a number of hours, unable to top up insulin. They say you can't go without insulin for an hour but I managed several hours, I think all the exercise being particularly helpful in keeping BG levels low.

Go for it, get a pump. Sure the first couple months will involve a bit of experimentation but its worth it when you finally get the HbA1c to ideal levels and enjoy all the insulin pump benefits.

Luckystar96

Adrian, I don't stop my pump when showering etc, then there's no chance of forgetting to start it again! Only time I stop it is to prime or change infusion set. Also, ALWAYS carry a spare cannula just in case! (Although, when swimming you probably wouldnt need any insulin fo a while, unless oure on huge doses) I love my pump, I simply couldn't manage without it. :)

clairebear86

Hey! Iv had my pump for 15 months now ......... It's not an instant fix for perfect control, it takes time to adjust and although its taken a yr, I finally I good control, previous to getting the pump I was diagnosed with retinopathy needing several rounds of laser to both eyes, along with hypertension .... Since having the pump, iv needed no laser since 2011 and had minimal eye changes ....

Shower wise & those times when you can't make a pump sexy (if you get me) I just disconnect as you can for up to an hour .. Or some pumps are waterproof .. I just like to feel free for a bit ..

I feel much healthier with my pump, my only downside is hiding it under clothes but hey you can't have everything eh ..

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1367064522.689108.jpg
    ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1367064522.689108.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 595

Beth_Robinson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I got a pump last year, it's brilliant and I would really encourage it, especially if your hba1c is high.

Facts:
-The tube inside you is noticable when you're in a swimming costume/topless/whatever. No escaping that, but you can go back to injections on holidays if you're concerned about that, or even for a day, that's what i do.

-The tube is completely safe, water can't enter it, it's not painful whilst in, in actual fact most of the time I forget it's there

-The tube can leave marks on your skin, but I use bio oil which helps get rid of these

-I'm sure you'll be told about all this, but you can programme your pump/meter so it delivers specific amounts of insulin each hour.

-You programme the amount of insulin you need per 10g carb, so when you check your bs it automatically connects to the pump, and you enter the amount of carbs you're eating and the insulin is automatically delivered. There are more advanced settings for sport/if you're ill, but I don't normally use these.. it's up to you to have look and see what you need.

-You need to take your pump off in water, but not the tube. Also, i sometimes take it off for sport so I don't go low, but it depends on your control, type of sport, ect..

- you change the tube by putting a new tube into an inserter device. Then when you press a button it 'shoots' into your skin and you take a small peice off the top. This does hurt a bit, but no more than if you do an injection. And then you don't need to change it until about 2 days later.

-You have to tuck it into your clothes (or a holder which clips onto your clothes). Mine isn't really noticable, it depends how you do it, but you can't normally tell as a general rule.

-You shouldn't take your pump off when you're low, and you don't need to have 'long lasting carbs' with your short acting.

-You might need to fast from time to time to check your settings are right.
Pros:

-It takes a little while to set up/get used to, but I promise when it's all started you're hba1c will lower if the settings are all right.

-The pump means you lead a bit more of a normal life. It's so easy to maintain, you don't need to worry about anything except entering carbs wehn you eat.

-You only have to 'inject' every 3 days.

-It's basically acting like an electronic pancreas so it's more precise than injections

-It stops 'swings' and reduces lows.

-It allows you to eat more of what you want.

Cons:

-It's a pain in the bum to get used to, but it's amazing when you are

-It always beeps to tell you it's empty, which can sometimes be awkward

-You sometimes need to check your Bs more

These were my personal experiences anyway, I would definately reccomend it!!!
Hope this helped
Beth (15) :D

daisynova

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I can't really add much more to this but I have been on my pump now for 5 years and I adore it. I was put on it when living in Amsterdam and when I returned to the UK, my new team tried to take me off it. I went back to basal bolus but only lasted around 4 days as my bloods went sky high and I couldn't do anything without puking. I was nearing DKA so went right back on the pump and within hours I was back to normal. I so wouldn't change it for the world now and literally adore the thing. It has helped me control my diabetic retinopathy and stopped me losing my eyesight. I have even done pregnancy when on it and it was so easy to manage though positioning the canula got tricky when I got uite big!

Give it a go - I bet you won't look back. My 1c went from 12.1 to 8.5 in 5 years - slow but sure.