Status
Not open for further replies.

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Embabe25 said:
Can't help but think the original post is nonsense!

I don't blame some of the guys for their abrupt manner! Whole story sounds like rubbish.

Quite agree and no response from the OP :roll:

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Embabe25 said:
Can't help but think the original post is nonsense!

I had a neighbour who was just like that. It made for some good entertainment. There are people who think that either the more they shout or the louder they shout, the more likely they are to get their way.

It's the quiet ones you've got to worry about :)

nmr1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This sounds like a scenario that I could imagine if I was very poor at organising myself and attitude towards others, but luckily I know better. I assume the OP was talking about the old measurement of blood sugar explaining the need for glucose when being held by the police.

It also sounds to me that you were sober enough to understand the advice given by the police to go about your business and not turn back. So therefore I draw my conclusion that you should listen to the police regardless of your diabetes, and if you do get into that situation, you should explicitly tell them that you require insulin and/or glucose to hand - not that i've been through this before - in turn possibly organising a breathalyser test to prove either your drunk or have a severe hypo.

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Embabe25 said:
Just noticed my posts here have been altered and ones gone completely. Are there admin that can edit posts here?

yes, we have moderators and they moderate the forums

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Selfish people, arseholes who think they know it all, ignoramuses, chavs and people with no manners. People who play music on the bus or train full blast on their phones.
Being drunk and disorderly is a criminal offence. What would you tell the press? "I've had diabetes for 17 years and not only got drunk and out of control and was unreasonable, I demanded dextrose to raise my already high blood sugar levels, because in 17 years I haven't bothered to find out anything about diabetes and I didn't know that eating a banquet, getting drunk and not taking my insulin was not only stupid, but I was astounded that I being so drunk I lost my friend, the police had the nerve to observe my flagrant flaunting of my 'disability card'. You're lucky they took care of you as you were in no fit state. Go ahead, it will be an internet sensation making a mockery of diabetics in general. I hope to god you do some research into the illness you have, if this story carries an ounce of credence, that is. This is one of the most arrogant and foolish posts I've read in ages. It might not be daftest, but it's in my all time top ONE for this site!
Were you drinking when you thought about posting this article?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Well said again Martwolves!!

andywright

Just a thought but could it be possible that the origanal post was written by someone having a hypo?

Embabe25

Someone who wanted attention and probably doesn't have diabetes. Maybe knows someone who has so knows the terminology.

Em x

Embabe25

Sure is does!

I'm drunk now. I've tested my bloods a few times over the day. Last one was 15. Something. Seems my liver kicked in. Have adjusted and am heading home for a carbolisious dinner!

Carry on as you are! You are beautiful people! Love you all brothers and sisters!

Peace out!

(I'm such a ned/Chav!) xxxx

Em x

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Em..
Go quietly and orderly and keep under the radar of the bobbies!!!

Have your carbalicious meal and enjoy!!!

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi All .

I have edited/deleted the offensive posts/comments on page1/2 out .
It is unnecessary for them .

Thanks Anna.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Embabe25 said:
Sure is does!

I'm drunk now. I've tested my bloods a few times over the day. Last one was 15. Something. Seems my liver kicked in. Have adjusted and am heading home for a carbolisious dinner!

Carry on as you are! You are beautiful people! Love you all brothers and sisters!

Peace out!

(I'm such a ned/Chav!) xxxx

Em x

I love this post! I'm very jealous as I sit at home with my post-op puppy and my knitting!

s10vsb

All comments appreciated....however, if you were out with a friend staying at your house 25 miles away from where she lived and told to leave the city without her, would you go without her? Where would she stay? You're allowed one phone call AFTER you've been arrested so why didn't they allow me one before my arrest? Where did my friend spend the night? Answers on a post card please. I had no idea what my blood sugar was when I was taken to my cell, I was on my way home to do my routine check and take my lantus... alcohol drops your blood sugar.....They had proof I was diabetic cos I had my pen and dextrose....why didn't they check my blood sugar before they took me to the cell?....Thank god I hadn't taken my lantus...you know your own body best...after a drink I have bottles of lucozade by my bed cos I know I'll need them.

s10vsb

Thundercat said:
Sorry to hear you had such a traumatic experience. I am very concerned about your diabetes education with regard to feeling the need for dextrose at 21 and thinking lantus could cause a dramatic drop in bs. Have we misinterpreted your post?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
It's not a case of needing dextrose when un be known to me my bs is high, you should know, having diabetes is like having a car without a petrol gage. You don't know you've run out of petrol until you get a the sumptoms of a hypo which is petrifieng. You'll never know it's too high untill you get ketones and you know the effects of that. If you have Lantus only and nothing else to eat all day, your blood sugar should stay the same for 24 hrs...not for me...I have to take 4 units of novo rapid when I wake up or it just rises throughout the day, I have to give myself 2 units for dinner and tea too and increase it if I eat....Every diabetic knows how their body works.

s10vsb

Elc1112 said:
I don't understand why you thought you'd go into a coma if you took your Lantus? Your blood sugars were dangerously high. A long-lasting insulin like Lantus shouldn't bring your sugars crashing down. If it usually does then I would suggest you are taking too much!

Yes, the police have to take care of you while you're in custody. Being diabetic they need to be sure that you have access to dextrose, insulin and so on. I completely understand that. What I don't understand is why they didn't take my BS when I was arrested.. when it was offered to you? Surely it wouldn't have brough your sugars crashing down from 21 to severe hypo in a matter of hours?!
When I've had a drink and have my lantus I ALWAYS have carbs b4 I go to bed cos my bs drops. After 17yrs of being type 1 and HBAc at 6.5, I know, I know how my body works.

Status
Not open for further replies.