• Yes

Votes: 136 58.4%
  • No

Votes: 20 8.6%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 77 33.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yes, when required, my friends know, my family know and if I think it is necessary other can know as well.

Just wish I could vote on the lists you put up, but cannot either do it or perhaps work out how to do it with a normal desktop computer.

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Selfish people, arseholes who think they know it all, ignoramuses, chavs and people with no manners. People who play music on the bus or train full blast on their phones.
Stevie, if you work, why not tell colleagues, just in case? None of my business really, but what if an attack sneaks up on you? Friends and colleagues at work know and no one leaves me alone, or tell me when the last one is about to leave. I've had a few hypos and close calls that have been noticed due to their vigilance when they've noticed me being out of character. Please, don't answer if you don't want to, but diabetes is indiscrimate. It can get anyone at any stage in life. I was 33 april 2010 when I found out. I was knackered all the while and asked my doctor to find out why. At least if people know they can keep an unobtrusive eye on you. I'm not ashamed, shi7 happened and I want to see my 16 and 19 year old daughters grow up and see and hold my grandchildren.

Good luck and keep well.

All the best and sorry, ignore me if I'm being personal, all I ever want to do I'd help where I can.

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Selfish people, arseholes who think they know it all, ignoramuses, chavs and people with no manners. People who play music on the bus or train full blast on their phones.
To those who put "no" as their vote. You wouldn't tell mom, dad, siblings, relatives, partners, girlfiends and bouyfriends? Why not? The question is do you tell people you have diabetes. I'd be dead if I had told NO ONE! 3 or 4 times over to diabetes alone and a blood clot nearly saw me into an early grave. Why haven't you told anyone? It may save your life! Please feel free if you think I'm being funny, I'm not! I am pedantic if I feel I need a fact-based answer and cannot believe someone would keep such an important fact from their nearest and dearest.

Keep well.

L

Luna21

Just my family and close friends, as I really don't want to discuss my health problems while shopping or meeting someone I know on the street! :problem:

Same goes for my arthritis, although that is more difficult to hide if I'm having a flare-up.
I'm type 2, so no chance of a hypo, and now that I have learned a bit more about diabetes, I really have little patience for the know-it-all types who try to tell you what you should eat, what their diabetic friends can eat, and how you can get 'better'! :shock:
Thankfully those I have told are fairly supportive, and I'm trying to educate them a little, as the myths about diabetes are pretty widespread.

Each to their own, but I don't particularly feel the need to tell everyone I know, but that's how I like to deal with it.

Sketcher

Dislikes
Other people's cats in my garden
Hello Luna

One small point: it's not being diabetic that gives you hypos, it's medication. Diabetes gives you hypers, and the medication to bring down BG levels can bring them too far down, resulting in a hypo. Type 2s on sulphonylureas (such as Gliclazide) or insulin can get hypos if the balance of carb intake, exercise and medication is not right. Type 2s on diet only or Metformin are not in danger of hypos.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
I only tell those I meet regularly - not any fruit case on the street or in Brum or Manchester!

damienmyers69

Dislikes
hate salad, most veg, most fruit
Yeah,
I let everyone know i'm diabetic, not like there is any shame in it.

have often found it a good way of breaking ice in many situations as almost everyone knows someone who is diabetic these days, so 99% of time it a way of finding something to talk about :)

Faith*

Dislikes
Arrogant/unhelpful people. Spiders/bugs basically anything with 6-8 legs. Creeps me out.
Hate mud unless I'm camping oddly
All my family and my friends (mainly close friends) know I'm type 1 diabetic. I don't really mind telling people when it comes up as it's a good way to spread awareness and educate them. I too have had people in work say to me oh do we give you insulin then if your hypo!! :shock: Noooo!!!! Why do people assume this? I've had to explain the difference between hypo and hyper so many times too but a lot of people still think that when your 'high spirited and hyperactive' that your hypo - trying to explain that this is completely different to a hypo/hyper attack, it's like working with a whole set of madness haha.
Other than that though most of my friends/colleges like to hear more information about it, and i soon put them straight when they get cocky!

Dick in Spain

Yes,I do tell people that I am a diabetic. Luckily I have had no adverse comments or attitudes aimed at me so far :D If anyone has an issue with a diabetic then I think that it is simply a question of education, or lack of it on their part. I don't wear a badge stating that I am diabetic, but on the other hand I'll not keep it a secret if anyone does queries my actions

picklebean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I voted 'sometimes'.

I only tell people if it happens to come up in conversation for some reason, otherwise, what's the point of mentioning it?

If the situation specifically relates to something about my diabetes, of course I tell the person, but I never go out of my way to let people know. It's not that I don't want anyone to know, not at all... it's just that I don't see any reason for telling them really.

spaceman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
yes i tell people ive got diabetes ,and i was suprised how many other people have diabetes to.

Jane Holmes

Yes, I think all the people you know should know that you have diabetes. If anything happened to you while you were out with friends and you were ill, then they would know to get help for you and tell the medics you are diabetic

JIMDOG1

Dislikes
patranising dr and nurses lol
Yes general people I know I've told, it helped 2 weeks ago when I colapsed at work they were quick in getting me to hospital and told them I was diabetic although reception staff were slow at responding oh there on shift change

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

destiny0321

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
people who think nothing is wrong with you because they do not see blood or a plaster cast, i suffer with arthritis & use a zimmer & wheelchair but because they cant see anything wrong people assume nothing is wrong with you.
Yes I do because you do not know when you need peoples help

Healthy One

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I own a health shop, so I don't mind telling customers I am diabetic. Generally this ends up with a discussion with them about how I treat it, do I take Metformin, how do I manage etc etc... It has also led to extra sales, so good news..!