Driving Licence Suspended

martynlloydkelly

I just signed. Good luck Mart and everyone else living with diabetes, type 1 or 2.

Thank you very much, for both signing and and for your well wishes towards everybody who may suffer as a result of the directive and its interpretation.

I too have been through this and also had my licence revoked. I immediately gathered data on results for 1 month and reapplied ensuring I ticked boxes correctly. It is not as clear as you read the form, but after taking advice from diabetic nurse I realised I answered incorrectly, which is what you have done. It then took 2mths after reapplying to get licence back but I have and these are new guides so please be careful as the DVLA don't care if you make genuine error.

Wow, so the reapplications process is pretty much as long as I thought it was. Sounds like you're one of the lucky ones, my consultant has written letters for a number of patients whom this has happened too but his words fell on deaf ears. Fantastic that you managed to get your licence back though, congratulations! In actuality, the guidelines are not that new. The EU directive which led to the DVLA's decision was put forward in 2011 however, even though various diabetic associations opposed it there wasn't much public aweareness created. Unfortunately this meant that the directive and its interpretations stuck.

Good luck
I had my license taken away for a year due to diabetes and I found it hard with my medical background to understand the questions and even rang for help.
In contrast when I had another medical incident I was just advised not to drive for a month by my GP but did not need to inform DVLA of the issue. It does really need review and needs people who are more approachable at the call centres.
I signed the petition BUT
Is there just a link to share on FB pages rather than individual invites ? As I am not sure whom to invite as so many are from different countries.

Thank you so very much for signing and for sharing your experiences, it helps more than you may think! There is indeed a Facebook page for the group, you can find it at www.facebook.com/diabetesdvla I hope that helps! Its best to invite everyone regardless of location, in fact having support from people in different countries would strengthen the argument as those who it will be delivered to see that the argument is backed up ubiquitously. Its not just a marginal group of people backing the idea then, ergo it carries more weight.

Best,

- Martyn

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Martyn!

I have signed your petition. I believe the whole way insulin-dependent diabetics are treated by the DVLA is a disgrace. I have a 3 yr restricted license just because I use insulin - no reason for this at all in my view. I hope you win your case and thank you for raising awareness of the issues we face.

I'll pass the link to your petition to another diabetes forum I belong to. Hopefully you'll get a few more supporters there.

Smidge

solana

I have had type 1 for 54 years and am appalled at the change of policy regarding driving licenses. I understand the changes are due to an EU directive. I shall happily sign your petition. There is a lesson in this - never admit to a severe hypo if you want to retain your driving license.
Ann

harryo53

Type of diabetes
Type 2
hi I am type 2 diabetes I told the DVLA they said no change to licence

can you give me the link to the petition please :)

micksmixxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Petition signed, Martyn.

It won't affect me as I voluntraily gave up my licence when things started to go wrong.

I'm looking forward to receiving any feedback from the DVLA with regards to my comments about some doctors perhaps considering retraining.

Be well, young sir.

Lots of Love and Light

Mick
x x x x
x x x

P.S. Please don't be offended or alarmed at the "x's". It's simply a logo, of sorts, that I've used for some 30-odd years now.

Assimilator1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Signed petition & shared it on facebook.
Great job on the lobbying btw! :)

I'm a mechanic, lose my license & I'd lose my job!

Andrew40

Hi, in response to your driving licence query, firstly check with your Diabetician but I think you'll find that if you experience a hypo whilst asleep it does not count as a problem with your driving licence as this does not affect your driving. If you are hypo whilst awake and needed help than this is a problem but whilst asleep this isn't as you will never be driving when asleep and as we all know if you experience hypo when awake you can deal with it but if you experience hypo when asleep you are unable to get warning signs.
Please let me know how you get on

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Andrew40... You are wrong..

Andrew40

Hi donnellysdogs, thanks for your reply but as a diabetic for 33 years I have always been told by Diabeticians over the years that hypos whilst asleep are not counted as a problem on hypos whilst awake please check on this and get back to me. bearing in mind you have no warning signs when asleep but when awake you do. If you are hypo unaware whilst awake you should not be driving full stop as this is dangerous.

Diddly

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Andrew 40, Hi this is the point of the petition the dvla medical form does not differentiate between sleep and awake hypos.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Andrew40

Hi Diddly, I have always been told that hypos whilst asleep do not count and for that reason it does not have to be reported. Your Diabetician if asked will give you advice on whether and what to report as far as DVLA are concerned. Otherwise no one would be able to drive as all diabetics have hypos during the night now and again. As I said earlier when awake you get warnings if not this is known as hypo unaware and you must not drive in this case as this is dangerous.

rontom89

I'm all for honesty. But for the hassle it causes when you tell the DVLA about hypos that have absolutely nothing to do with driving, they don't need to know. It doesn't concern them.

If you had a sudden hypo attack at the wheel then obviously let them know, but the chances of that happening if you remember the simple rule "FIVE TO DRIVE" and take regular breaks on long distances then you won't have a problem.

Ernest jones

The DVLA are very inflexible. You will need to resubmit a DIAB1 form and a new licence application.Send any mail to them by recorded delivery. ( to the Drivers Medical Section ) when you know it is delivered phone the Medical Section to request an urgent review of your application. Insist that you speak to a Manager.

Ceejaypb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I fully support you in this though its not just people with type 1 that are affected, its the same for people with type 2 as well. I have signed your petition. Good luc

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Andrew40
If you have more than 1assisted hypo whilst asleep in one year then they DO count. This is the whole point of the petition. Welcome to tbe debate, but please support us with this... RULES HAVE CHANGED... All diabetics should be made aware of this...

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
My husband and I have just signed the petition. :thumbup:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Dont forget everyone to send links to friends as well!!

Midzbike

Hi

I've been Type1 for more than 40 years & have been moved to a pump in February, due to my sensitivity to insulin. I'd be fascinated to know why 4mmol counts as a hypo & does everyone have the same abilities at the same blood sugar levels? If the DVLA insists we must stay at high(er) HbA1c levels in order to continue to hold a licence, what effect will this have on our eyesight, circulation, kidneys etc?

Would it be a good idea if the DVLA/Government was to give Constant Glucose Monitors to us all, to be compulsorily used while we drive?

Do we need to contact our MP's & the DVLA as individuals, then work together to produce research & evidence of better ways of identifying each individual's condition?

Regards

Mark

lambros6

I had mine taken off me last August.
I certainly know how you feel because I have missed my car so much.
I was having lots of hypos at the time but always get a warning and always made sure when I drove.....I had everything under control.
My GP gave them the wrong information.
I got a second opinion from my consultant at the diabetes centre I attend.
He told me he'd write a letter and make sure my license was returned.
He also told me, due to New EU rules. There is a helluva lot more getting their licenses revoked.
The DVLA sent me an application form to re-apply, which I did in February.
I am still waiting as the medical board are still considering their decision.
The waiting is killing me but go to your diabetic consultant is my opinion.
Good luck !