Post meal spikes

catw

Hi looking for any suggestions please. My daughter now 3 was diagnosed type 1 in aug 12 ( 9 months ago). We got a pump almost 6 months ago. Her basal needs are v low ( confirmed with basal tests, however we cannot control her post meal spikes, esp after breakfast she spikes to low teens but if we increase her insulin to carbohydrate ratio she will plummet to hypo pre next meal. We are giving bolus 15 mins or so before meal and splitting meal and snack. We also tried different food types. She is an active toddler. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. I find it really frustrating to be unable to get better control. Huge spikes after meals (approx 2hrs) and then have to be v vigilant for hypos (3-4 hrs). Anyone experience similar? Any suggestions?Thanks

CambridgeLass

Bumping up your thread! I'd be interested in replies as we have the same problem though we are on MDI. Have you tried lower GI foods to see if it makes any difference at all? We are only 5 months in so hopefully some suggestions from those more experienced will come along.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

clairebear86

That happened to me, I incorporated the low gi method into my diet n has worked a treat .. But I can imagine that your daughter may not enjoy the taste of some of the foods .... I am very sensitive to any foods, it sounds like your daughter is too! It's worth a try eh :)
Xx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
On pump with that happening I would do same ratios for meal but also try a temp basal rate of plus 10% , which would be delivered over a four hour period, and automatically end. If basal is correct when fasting, obviously do this only when eating breakfast. It may stop the hypo if the bolus was given in one shot. How makes sense.

On mdi, I combated this by extra qa, to keep 2 hour levels in range but have a snack also.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

leggott

We had this problem with my son for a long period of time. He was on the lowest basal setting over the morning period, so we couldn't even decrease that for a while to cover the bit where he went low. We ended up giving him a bigger bolus to stop the spike and then making sure he ate a small piece of fruit about 2 hours after his breakfast to stop him dropping too low by lunchtime. We did try increasing his basal to avoid the spike but we could never seem to get things right and as he enjoyed having a small snack mid morning this seemed to work well.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Sorry to hear of the spikes, I hope you get something sorted out for your child very soon. Can't offer any advice, as I'm not on a pump. Good luck

Best wishes RRB