Jogging

timewind

Hi Guy's,

I've just been bitten by a strange affliction which has suddenly overwhelmed me. I have started Jogging :D

My first run was last week-end, Sunday 21st that was half a mile. Followed by another run on Wednesday 1 mile. This morning I managed a 4.2 K run and thoroughly enjoyed it. But my aim is a 6k or 10k run on a regular basis.

I have decided I want to get to grips with my life, and more importantly my Diabetes control and BS levels. These are very variable and no matter how hard I try. They are not stable. I want to see an end to high's and lows every day.

This is my motivation, the other one is to get fit. At the moment I am all fired up and really enjoying it.

I've brought some dedicated running shoes, and clothes. The next thing to get is a suitable high vis top, for weather protection. I carry an ID dog-tag with me, and carry Glucose Tabs.

Has anyone felt the benefit of Jogging?

Reactions: 6 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Any aerobic exercise will make you feel better and will help with circulation problems associated with diabetes. I use the treadmill a bit and always helps to lower by BG levels. Good luck and well done !

leggott

hi, I don't run but my husband does and he is early 40's and has type 1 since he was 14. He does a lot of running and has run the London marathon and did Brighton this year in a good time 3hrs 44 mins!! He too started running to get fit and also loves it - in fact he is running now!!

He takes jelly babies and the gel packs with him. He tries to keep his bg constant so eats some slow release carbs before he runs and then has a few glucose hits on the way round. He now knows how many jelly babies he needs on different runs through trial and error.

if you have any specific questions just PM me and I can ask my hubby as he is not a member of this site.

He alway runs with his IPhone and sends me an email with a GPS link showing where he is so I can track his run! Great if you have a worried partner at home like me!!

happy running.

Reactions: 2 people

timewind

I don't have a IPhone. But I do know the symptoms of HYPO.

I'm not so sure I want to do anything as exotic as a mathon yet. But I'll be very happy if I can achieve 6k for the moment.

Thanks Mo1905 for the heads up.

I certainly hope doing this, together with the work I do. I can finally regain my diabetic control :)

Sunshine_Kisses

Hi time wind - I've just started jogging too! Though you're a little ahead of me - I'm just under 4k at the mo - though planning to try to push myself a little further on my next run.... My very lose rule of thumb is to increase by a little every fifth run or so; that's not based on anything other than it feel about right to do it then :)

So far it's making me feel good, and seems to be helping keep my bs more stable too; though its early days yet and I expect I will see more improvements the more I run - I am guessing regularity is the key as much as anything. It's definitely been a great way to burn off any excess sugars I might have that day - my bs readings are usually at least a couple of points lower post run and sometimes, if they've been high before hand, they've halved by the time I'm back - which can only be good :) :)

So, like you, though I never thought I would be a runner, it seems I might just manage to become one yet... ;-)

Diagnosed Type 2, 22nd Feb 2013
Hba1c 7.5
Three month trial of managing through diet & exercise.
Low carb, pescatarian
Trying various supplements!

Reactions: 4 people

timewind

Hi Sunshine,

Thanks for the heads UP. And good luck :)

I have been thinking off way's to try to combat my lousy blood sugar control, and running seems to fit the bill nicely. I am fortunate in working where I do. I work with plants under glass. And sometimes my work can be very physical. But it still doesn't help my control :(

I used to run many, many, years ago. But I gave it up. Bad move!

During the winter of that particular year. I didn't have a cold or any other nasty little bugs.
I felt really healthy and fit. This is what I am aiming for now.

Fingers Crossed.

Diagnosed Type 1 28th Feb 1978 aged 14
Novorapid: & Lantus:
Recently finding overall control, difficult.
DSN's are as rare as Hens teeth, where I live.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Hi, I've started jogging at the gym on the treadmill, I love it I'm type 2 so don't have to worry about eating, I can now do 5k but it's much easier than actual running, I am planning to do some real running, I would like to do next years marathon....I mentioned it to my new pt and she said I wouldn't be able to so now I really want to hehe

Sunshine_Kisses

Why on earth did your practice nurse say you wouldn't be able to?! Oooh that makes me really cross!! :-S

Hba1c 7.5
Low carb, pescatarian

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Well, I've entered the ballot for next year's London Marathon. He who dares Rodders ;-)
Can't see why you can't do it, 1000's of diabetics manage it !

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Faith*

Dislikes
Arrogant/unhelpful people. Spiders/bugs basically anything with 6-8 legs. Creeps me out.
Hate mud unless I'm camping oddly
mo1905 said:
Well, I've entered the ballot for next year's London Marathon. He who dares Rodders ;-)
Can't see why you can't do it, 1000's of diabetics manage it !

Very true and very awesome! Well done you! I'm still plucking up the courage to enter into a 10k - even though I know I can do it, I'm just scared running alone. Usually my partner comes with me but he's exhausted from running because he's been doing all the mad tough mudders/hellrunners - You've inspired me though thank you :D

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Faith, don't be too inspired lol ! I'll probably run a mile, walk a mile etc ! I just don't think others should say what we can and can't do !

Faith*

Dislikes
Arrogant/unhelpful people. Spiders/bugs basically anything with 6-8 legs. Creeps me out.
Hate mud unless I'm camping oddly
Agreed, I don't usually let anything stop me (hence signature) but had a bad hypo running in the park about 3 months ago, literally to the point of passing out and since then I won't run anywhere alone, it's completely knocked my confidence.
Walking is grand - hey if you could sneak the rollerblades in you'll be laughing :lol: :lol:

Scardoc

I've entered the London ballot this week too, didn't get in last year :(

Keep in mind that whilst you will probably find your insulin requirements drop and your BG levels stabilise, if you miss a week or can't run for any reason you need to keep an eye on them changing again. I find that I get a knock on effect for two days after a run and as I run a few times minimum a week it's constant. However, if I stop for any reason (injury eg) then I need to increase my insulin as my BG levels creep up.

Likewise, I have started upping my miles lately and am dropping just under 4 regularly. I've knocked a couple of units off the lantus and am trying to snack more and eat bigger meals.

It is a brilliant way to help control diabetes. Keep it up and always beware of overdoing it as an injury is the worst thing ever!!

Sunshine_Kisses

Just thought I'd let you guys know I just tried interval/sprint training...
I am giving it a go as, despite massively cleaning up my diet and going much lower carb, plus running every other day (with a walk or yoga on the inbetween days) I've still yet to lose a single lb.
improvements in blood sugars, yes - but no weight loss at all.

Whilst I'm not 'overweight' per say, I do definitely carry too much belly fat - which is exactly the fat that's associated with insulin sensitivity - so I'm uber keen to shift it - but it's uber keen to stay! ;-)
I've even been measuring my waist, in case the old 'muscle is heavier than fat' was at play - but nope, not a smidge of an inch....

Soooo, trying sprints as apparently is meant to kickstart your metabolism (mine seems to need a rocket up the rear!!)

I did one min slow jog/fast walk, followed by thirty seconds run-as-if-your-life-depended-on-it, and cycled that eight times. So the whole thing only takes 12 mins.... Sounds easy, no? All I can say is I felt like I might throw up the last two rounds... So I'm sure that's motivated you to try it ;-)

It's said that the after effects of running this way will burn more calories for the twelve hrs or so post run than a 'normal' run - obviously it's too early to say whether it works, but my sugar readings were down post first attempt so I'll be trying it every other day for a while and seeing what happens to my readings - both sugars and weight... With my fingers tightly crossed!! :)

Hba1c 7.5
Low carb, pescatarian

timewind

Good for you. I hope it works ,which I am sure it will :D

I went out this evening for another jog. And really enjoyed it. This time I didn't STOP, except when waiting to cross a busy road. I think that I am getting better at this lark. And hope to steadily progress to doing longer runs.

My BS has been strangely high today. And it's only since returning from my gallop. It's returned to single figures. Why it has to be so variable I don't know :?

Sunshine_Kisses

Hey timewind, well done on the run and not stopping! It is impressive how quickly our bodies adapt and strengthen - I'm soo encouraged by the small changes I've found in being able to 'handle' running already; and yes, even starting to look forward to a run - which believe me I never thought I'd say!!
Blood sugars are so odd - I posted a thread earlier as yesterday my figures were really good, despite having had pudding earlier that day - something I'd not done for three months!! I do think its a very individual thing, and that it will probably take us a long time to learn - and that even then, some things will just never make sense... I guess if overall our figures are in a rage we're happy with - which is again personal - then that's the most important thing :)

Hba1c 7.5
Low carb, pescatarian

Phoebecliff

I've been diagnosed with Type 1 for nearly five months now and exercise in any form has been such an important way to help stabilise blood sugars and clear your mind. Running is a particular favourite and it took a few weeks to understand how your body reacts to it but and it's so great to find forums like this where other people understand the rollercoaster that is diabetes.

Mr Happy

Just as a heads up to you both, you are not meant to exercise when your blood sugars are over 12. Not sure exactly Why something to do with blood flow and your body panic reacting and throwing glucose out thus raising sugars.

If You are starting a bit high then I would start at a slow pace...