Blood testing advice

kenbro

Hi,
I was diagnosed Dec 2012 with T2, now on 4 x Metformin a day. When I asked about self testing to get an idea how I was doing my GP said it wasn't necessary. My last reading was 76? down from 92, he said I need to get it down to 56. Means nothing to me right now I'm afraid but I don't have another blood test due for three months.How am I supposed to know if I am doing the right thing? Any ideas or suggestions. I am feeling very confused when I read about everyone self testing.
Thanks

Maitland

Hi Kenbro

I haven't officially been diagnosed yet with T2 but with readings of 7.4 and 8.7 I would suggest that when I visit my Doctor tomorrow morning I will be told exactly that.

After my second reading of 8.7 I sat down and decided there and then that I would change my life. Fortunately I have a friend who was kind enough to get a hold of a Blood Glucose Monitor for me, a few books on counting Carbs and Cals and 30 or so test strips.

I have taken a number of readings 2 hours after meals to see where my blood sugars are. Documented the results and stuck to the foods that are suitable. I have taken two fasting blood tests with the results coming in at 5.6 and 5.9.

I have now lost 10 pounds in 10 days and am already feeling the benefits. Yes I have been counting my carbohydrates and Calories trying to stick between 1500 - 2000 calories each day and trying to stay within 150g of Carbohydrates.

I am quite sure my GP will tell me that monitoring my blood sugars is unnecessary but I will respectfully disagree with him. As you say you need to know that you are doing the right thing and by testing your glucose levels then you will know exactly what you are doing right and what you are doing wrong.

I have looked on my 7.4 and 8.7 as a positive thing. Mother Natures way of giving me a wee kick in the nether regions saying "Hey Maitland, enough is enough, you have had your fun, now pack up and move on".

My advice would be to get a monitor and test, document all your readings and take it from there.

M...

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
It would be good if part of the review included a review of the blood monitor readings since the last review.

This would show who was actually using the monitor and who wasn't.

Especially if the monitor had to have a USB or BlueTooth connection so the results could be downloaded and associated with your medical record.

However I suspect that the majority of T2s don't want to test - often don't even want to admit they have any kind of problem.

So this probably wouldn't be cost effective.

Cheers

LGC

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
LGC
Ithink you are right and many T2s want to bury their heads in the sand. the NHS haven't worked out the cost effectiveness of having everyone testing and submiting results.
How many more would hit targets? We read recently that only 25% or less of all diabetics do so.
i meet a lady regularly in my local "Costa". she always eats a sweet wafer bar. She's been diabetic for 20+ [on insulin about 15!] years and says she feels terrible if her BG drops to 5. He Hba1cs are usually in the 7s.
Her doctor tells her this is OK.
Hba1c in the mid 7s means a BG average between 10 and 11. Is this considered safe nowadays???
Hana

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
IIRC NICE target is 7.5.

Personal targets for proactive managers of the condition should, I think, be lower.

brill

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Country & Western!
Yes, funny isn't it. My Diabetes Nurse told me on diagnosis that T2s don't need to test but I went out & bought a meter anyway. Each HBA1C she says "you're doing so well just on diet & exercise - how do you do it?"

mickey121

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I sent for a free meter on the main site unfortunately most Drs depending on your location don't give test strips on prescription but I don't understand how you can find out your trigger foods without testing before and after eating

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

pav

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
sarahg0810 said:
I'm with kenbro!! If anyone can recommend a decent BG monitor I would also be very very grateful! :0)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

I have recently switched to the Bayer contour next USB meter, which Bayer kindly sent me for free. Its a good little meter which you can charge via you PC or if you register it you can order a free mains charger. The software is simple to use and reports are good, there are 2 version of the software one comes on the meter or you can download the full version from the Bayer web site.

If you are going to fund the tests strips your self then there's the SD code free, check out the forum for the reports that it reads about 1.0 higher than other meters or the supercheck2 system.

JIS

Just spoken to my doctor re my T2; he said that I was testing "far too much" at 3-4 times per day and that it really isn't necessary. I replied that i sometimes get spikes of 12 mmol/L and that I need to test to avoid these. His reply was surprising " don't worry, you can have spikes of doubles that (ie.e 24 mmol/L) and that won't hurt you; what's important si the long term level".
So, whilst I respect my doctor's advice, I shall proceed to test frequently to ensure that I keep below 8.5 mmol/L after meals (and boy, is it challenging!).
Thanks
John

KennyS

I was diagnosed in Aug/Sept 2012. My Hba at that time was 6.9 which my nurse said most people would be delighted with. At any rate, I was pretty freaked out about the diagnosis and started reading all I could on the subject and that went into the subjects of the immune system, cholesterol and carbohydrates. I got a meter myself and started testing off of my own bat. I kept track of everything... Meals, activity, blood pressure, mood etc. I collated, graphed and annotated all of my findings and took these result to her at an iternerum meeting before my 3 month review. She was impressed with the effort and showed the head nurse what I had done. I told her that I was on track for an HBa test of 5.3 and she told me then that the meters were not accurate and that I would be disappointed....but did give me one perscription for test strips.

In December I had my 3 month Hba test.... came in at 5.4 (36)! I was elated! She however told me that it was TOO LOW and that she wanted to see the level over 6. I asked her why if I showed no signs of having hypos at the levels I am getting.... no explainations just that it was too low. I asked for continued test strips and she told me that she would ask but didnt' think they would be approved because of cost. She was suppose to call me the next day...... I never got a call. I know that they are busy and I should have called her but I was being petulent!

I spent the next 3 months not testing(too expensive) but sticking to what I had learned during the first 3 months. My next Hba came back at 5.7 (39)! I'm smiling! Thought my meeting with her would be contntious so I went in ready to do battle. She asked me how I was and I told her how unhappy I was with the NHS and with her as proxy. She asked why and I told her about the call I had never recieved, the inability for them to tell my why any number lower than 6 is bad and why they wouldn't encourage patients to strive for normal numbers if the patient knows about their own propencity for hypos and the conflict I have with the NHS approved diet....

She told me how sorry she was and would talk to the doctor about it right now.... She went away, came back with an 'ada boy' from the doctor and a renewalble prescription saying that he is happy to support anyone who is was knowledgable and proactive in their approach.

I think that being knowledgable about all aspects of your condition and that includes all other conditions, knowledge of the NHS reasoning and being able to argue your case HELP if you are interested in taking control of your health. I was able to show down to the last calorie, what I ate, what and to what degree I reacted to that food, how I reacted to various exercise routines and how my actions resulted in improved blood sugar readings, lower blood pressure, weight and much improved IBS..... I won't call myself a low carber but I am pretty restricted in the carbs that I eat.

Hope it Helps,
Kenny