Low readings, for me, type 2

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My readings have come down over time and now I am mostly in the 5s and 6s with 4s making an appearance on occasions. I was surprised 2 hrs after an evening meal to see a 3.4. I was expecting something around 6.0. Thinking this was just one of those odd results I tested another finger, 3.8 and then another 3.7. So I was in the 3s. The meal was fairly low carb, only a couple of potatoes but I did have a pot of yoghurt of a type that nomally adds between 0.5 and 1.0 for me. I've never been in the 3s before so am not sure what to make of this. The cassette of 50 tests has been behaving for the first 30 or so results so I have no reason to suspect anything there. In response I had some ryvitas, a banana and a large orange and 1 hour later I am 5.3. Why would I drop down into the 3s all of a sudden? Is it just one of those things type 2s see from time to time?

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
KerryA87 said:
Sorry i see you're type 2. Are you taking medication?

No, just diet and exercise. My diet is the same as it has been for weeks, slowly going down but steadying out at 5s and 6s with some 4s making a welcome appearance. No meds at all though.

KennyS

It would get an eyebrow raise from me for sure. You mention the use of a cassette so I assume, perhaps, the AccuCheck mobile.? I use that one and it has been very dependable in its readings. One time I had a string of high readings that concerned me. I wasn't sure if I would ruin the cassette but I was concerned so I removed the cassette and replaced it with a new one. Same readings. I was able to return to the other cassette and finish using it. I don't know how often you test so don't know if you a able to use up all of the tests on both cassettes before they expire..... but.... that is what I did.

If the numbers are correct with a different cassette, I would have a chat with your GP and keep a snack with you until you figure it out...

Kenny

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the input Kenny. It hasn't happened since but I did read that it occasionally does happen. I've had low readings for a few days now, 4s and 5s but I do get the occasional 7 or even 8. The high readings are associated with weight loss. I get those for a couple of days and then, like today, I step on the scales and it's about a 1kg loss in weight. I'll be back in the 5s and 6s for 7 or 8 days and then get some funnies and then some more weight loss.

On reflection, last week was a 'fish week'. We'd been to the Port of Lancaster Smokehouse and came back with smoked wild salmon, smoked tuna, Arbroath smokies and some smoked trout. This was in addition to my usual lunches which include rollmop herring or smoked mackerel. Maybe I overdosed on Omega 3 :)

I'd recommend it as a diet but it makes the house wiff somewhat.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Yorksman said:
Why would I drop down into the 3s all of a sudden? Is it just one of those things type 2s see from time to time?

Possibly the fat in the yoghurt or any one of a thousand other little quirks that affect our bg levels. I woke up this morning with a 6.2, unusually high for me but I didnt have a great nights sleep so it could have been that or any one of a thousand other little quirks that affect our bg levels.

I tend not to worry about the odd highs and lows and I suspect I miss quite a few now as I dont test as regularly as I once did. As long as my HbA1c's are still good and I dont eat too many carbs and go too high I am happy enough to forget my diabetes and concentrate on more important things like "have I got any sour cream in the fridge for the Goulash I will be preparing shortly in the slow cooker".

I would just put it down to "one of those things type 2s see from time to time?" better to see a low than a high eh? :thumbup:

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sid Bonkers said:
more important things like "have I got any sour cream in the fridge for the Goulash I will be preparing shortly in the slow cooker"

Ahhh, gulasch soup with a dollop of sour cream together with a slice of freshly baked rye and caraway seed bread

rezept-gulaschsuppe.jpg

Truly an important time of the day.