Ups and downs

mimo

Struggling a bit at the moment and wanted some friendly advice from people on here. Am Type 2 and currently on metformin sr 2 tablets in the morn, gliclazide x2 and statin. Since going on the second gliclazide my bloods have been up and down. Just wondered if anyone else has found this.
When first diagnosed I really took hold of things, lost 3 stone and was feeling the best I have ever felt. Since then I have slowly gone back down again. Bloods have been high hence the extra gliclazide. Last time I saw my nurse she wanted to put me on insulin but I asked to leave it as long as possible. Am only 35 so want to stay away from starting that for as long as possible.
Problem being at the moment is I keep having lows, eat and then go too high. Today this happened, could feel myself going low so took a glucose tablet, then another, then some biscuits as I still felt shaken. Got home tested and I was 5.2 which is low for me. Ate more and then went too high. Finding this really tricky time and just wanted to tell people that understood. Reluctant to go back to my DN as not very helpful or approachable.
Feeling frustrated that I have let things get to this point again after doing so well before. I know what I need to do but getting the enthusiasm is difficult at the moment, if I am honest I am probably in denial about getting T2 and coming to the harsh reality that its not going away.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
HI. Do you take the two Gliclazide together or one in the morning and one in the evening? It sounds like you may need to take care that the carbs you have are low-GI so that you avoid blood sugar spikes as it appears you may be over-compensating for the extra gliclazide. You obviously must ensure your weight is in the right region by having the right level of low-carb, low-GI diet. The fact that the Gliclazide appears to be working implies you aren't yet needing insulin; just to get everything in balance?

mimo

Thanks for the reply. I do take both Gliclizide first thing in the morning. Would it help if I spread the second till later in the day? Just frustrated as used to have such good control and now feel like I dont know whats going on or what to do.

Merehoare1952

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi I have been Type 2 for 8 years and still not got on top of controlling it! Been on 4 types of insulin all of which gave me extreme lows. Taken off it and am on liraglutide 1.2 a day 4 metformin and now 30mg of pioglit. Blood pressure went sky high last July just under control now and my blood sugars have done a bunk. Sometimes ok but most times between 10 and 11 even after meds. Have lost 4 1/2 stone bmi 27 and blood sugars being a pain in the ass! Eat low fat low carb diet when I eat at all as liraglutide makes you feel full for a very long time. Doctor has no idea what to do. Hopefully things will sort themselves out. Having lost the weight I do not want to go onto insulin and put it back on again! My sympathies are with you. My type 2 was not overweight but brought on by steroids for RA! Thanks... Chin up things can only get better.

mimo

Thanks for sharing your experinces being T2. Sounds like you certainly have had a rollercoaster of experience over the last 8 years. Hopefully sometime soon things for you will settle and you will find the right balance of meds. Really appreciate people sharing and happy to do so with fellow diabetics. My non diabetic friends just dont seem to understand when I talk about things and how tricky I find it managing sometimes.
Onwards and upwards though!! Take care, thanks. X