Are there any diabetes chefs you know off?

Hi
I was just wondering of anyone knew about any diabetic chefs or chefs who help make healthier food for people with diabetes because I'm very interested in cooking and was just wondering if there is anyone out there who is a diabetic chef xx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Re: Are there any diabetes chefs you know off?

I'm a diabolical chef, does that count?

eveshamgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Isn't Anthony worral Thompson diabetic? I'm sure he had a book out a while ago about it

lenipenny

Yes he has 2 i think i have one of his and it is fantastic youll be surprised how many diabetic cook books there are best place to look is waterstones last time i went there was quite a few different ones

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods

eveshamgal said:
Isn't Anthony worral Thompson diabetic? I'm sure he had a book out a while ago about it
Had some of his books given as presents after diagnosis as I have a bit of a reputation as a cook.
Had to dispose of them as his recipes were abysmal for my BG. IMHO he is one of those dangerous diabetic cooks who cover the effects of their cooking by use of drugs/ accepting high BGs

googlegoss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I thought the recipes were rubbish to be honest.

plp

eveshamgal said:

I have one of his books and though some of the recipes are great, most of them rubbish. Not something you'd cook for a midweek meal for the family :(

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I know me does that count?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Emilycbrown123 said:
Hi
I was just wondering of anyone knew about any diabetic chefs or chefs who help make healthier food for people with diabetes because I'm very interested in cooking and was just wondering if there is anyone out there who is a diabetic chef

I would imagine most of us on the forum cook at some point but calling ourselves chefs may not be appropriate :)

I've not heard of diabetic chef apart from AWT although I've not seen any of his books, just get in the kitchen and adapt recipes to your own choosing and diet.

K

Kat100

I have just bought his cook book or one of them...ooooh no not for me....honey and sugar etc... Think the X factor was mentioned for diabetic health problem but don't know much about that. Still getting used to t2 . Some recepies may work for some people though....I am still learning new recepies that are sugar free....

palm_tree

Type of diabetes
Type 1

From wikipedia: "Anthony Worrall Thompson's recipe for Snickers Pie was nominated by independent food watchdog The Food Commission as one of the most unhealthy dessert recipes ever, in 2006. Consisting of five Snickers bars, puff pastry, mascarpone, soft cheese, sugar and eggs, a single slice has been estimated to contain more than 1,250 calories."

God only knows how many carbs. Maybe good for a hypo?

palm_tree

Type of diabetes
Type 1

He was cautioned in 2012 for shoplifting cheese and wine from Tesco. As far as I know nobody has ever been cautioned or charged for stealing one of his cookbooks.

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Worral thompson wrote two books covering low GI and low GL recipes, they are OK ish but the approach didn't really work for me despite trying it for several months when I was prediabetic. Certainly did not work as well as reducing carb intake to below 120g combined with as much hard exercise as I can fit in every day

Hi, I really like the big book of low carb recipes. Love it in fact. Got it a few weeks ago and everything I have made from it has been a big hit in my house. The major plus is that it's British so no americanised measurements or ingredients and it seems to focus on natural ingredients.