Arrested for drunk and disorderly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elc1112

I had similar problems when I started on Levemir - my sugars would rise/fall a lot during the day and I just couldn't get the balance right. I started splitting the dose, based on advice from my GP, and it has been much better since.

It must be a pain if you don't recognise high blood sugars. Not sure if there is anything that you can do to improve this but I do know that hypo awareness is more likely to return as you stop having so many hypos - wondering whether it's the same for high readings? Anybody know?

Anyway, I lived in Durham for a few years when I was in my early 20s. I seem to remember them having a pretty low tolerance towards anybody who was a little worse for wear. With regards to your experience, it might be worth highlighting the fact that you were worried about what would have happened if your sugars dropped while you were in the cell. Not sure if it will make much of a difference but at least you'll feel like you have done something to stop others being in the same situation. As for taking it to the press, I'm not sure they'd be too interested if I am completely honest. Don't take this the wrong way, but it would be more exciting to a newspaper if you did hypo and if treatment was withheld and, as a result, you ended up in hospital. It's the drama/scandal that sells papers!

I'm sure that most people on this forum have done or said something stupid when they've been drunk in the past. I know I have! You were unlucky in that you got arrested and it's a tough lesson to learn but at least you've come away from it without any war wounds. Learn from it and move on. That's all you can do :)

Em

sarahg0810

I have to say that I am a bit shocked by your attitude to this situation. I work in the criminal justice system and all the local custody suites have a nurse in attendance 24/7. As part of a custody sergeants risk assessment, they ALWAYS check if a person has any health issues, such as diabetes, and that then dictates the level of care given. EVERY time a diabetic is in custody, the first thing sergeants do is ask the nurse to check BS levels and make sure the person is fit to be detained!! I think you should definitely speak to your DN as something seems quite wrong with how you are managing your condition!!! :0(

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

weeezer

EVERY time? apart from the time the OP was taken in. Or the other chap who posted a similar account of treatment (I.e. having both told the police they were insulin dependant diabetics and both being refused their meters to test with despite one of them feeling distinctly unwell and the other one very worried about becoming hypo...and both having long waits for doctors to turn up hours later to assess the situation- which in those hours could've easily have turned life threatening - dramatic, yet a potential reality had bg dropped, or ketones become part of the picture, esp with the police ignoring pleas)

Come on people, looking beyond opinions of whether the OP behaved 'correctly' or not, doesnt anyone think its scary to think the police can leave an obviously distressed insulin dependant person for hours on end without knowing the state of their health, I.e.bg level?

Embabe25

The police are trained to spot when people are genuinely ill.

OP told them she was diabetic but at no point was she in any danger! She was kicking off about her dextrose! Coherently enough for the police to know that she wasn't having a hypo.

They didn't give her her monitor because although the lancets are small they can be wielded with deadly consequences.

If she had remained calm they may have dealt with her more quickly!

Someone kicking off about their rights are fine. The one slumped quietly are the ones in danger!

The reason your sugar rose when you only took your background was because you hadn't eating for hours so your liver kicked in and dumped glucagen into your system! You should know that after 17 years.

Em x

mickey121

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Surely people should take responsibility for them selves, the police do not lock people up indiscriminately from what I have seen they usually give plenty of warnings to leave town when you drunk unless you become violent. Reap what you sow

Bodybuilder type1

I got thrown out of a bar for taking a blood test when I asked to see the manager , I refused and wanted to speak to someone I was then punched and beaten by the bouncers the police were called they elbowed me in the car brought me to police station took my blood tester off me and threw me in the cell so who ever says the police are only doing there job needs a realty check

Scardoc

weeezer said:
Come on people, looking beyond opinions of whether the OP behaved 'correctly' or not, doesnt anyone think its scary to think the police can leave an obviously distressed insulin dependant person for hours on end without knowing the state of their health, I.e.bg level?

I'm firmly of the opinion that we always need to keep in mind that humans err. To err is human. It doesn't matter what job you do, if you're human you will make mistakes. If I make a mistake then I could potentially cost my company a large amount of money. If a bus driver makes a mistake then someone gets left at the stop. A nurse makes a mistake, or a Doctor, it could be life threatening. So yes, if the Police make a mistake then there's an outcry. We have two examples here.

Does anyone know how many people with diabetes have been arrested and treated exactly as they should be?

It is scary when you look at it from a diabetic point of view but the Police have to make a judgement and they do so each and every day with distressed people. None of us, apart from the OP and the Police know exactly what happened. We have only heard one side.

s10vsb

Andy12345 said:
I'm confused as to why you are so mad? The police asked you to leave, you didn't, they arrested you....where's the problem? Was you hoping they wouldn't mind?
I wouldn't leave because I was out on a works 'do' and took one of my best friends who was staying at my house. Would you leave without your friend who was staying at your house who lives 30 miles away? They approached me when I was turned away from a bar and the bouncers gave the officers a 'wink'. Why didn't they just let me make a phone call to find my friend and go home with her which is what my intentions were? Instead, they took 3 police officers out of the city to lock me in a cell, left my freind with no where to stay. They knew I was diabetic cos they took my insulin off me before they put me in a cell without any of us knowing what my blood sugar was. That ended up with a Doctor coming to check my BS, Police going to my house to get my insulin. Forcing me to take my insulin refusing to tell me how long I'd be kept locked up which ended up in me taken by a police car to A and E. What a complete and utter waste of taxpayers money. One phone call b4 my arrest was all that was needed. I want all Police vans to carry a blood sugar monitor and to have one in all police stations too so they know what it is b4 they get locked up so no diabetic has to go through what I had too. How would any of you diabetics feel if you were locked in a cell with no idea what your BS was, no dextrose, no insulin and no idea how long you'd be left in there for?

s10vsb

John506 said:
I didn't say it's "nothing personal"....

"I turned into a woman possessed kicking on the door and screaming for my dextrose"... Sorry, but grow up, you weren't even low.

Reality hurts, not being funny, but if your child came home one morning with this story, what would your reaction be?
I didn't know what my BS was when I was locked up...No one did...I only found out after being locked up for 4hrs when they sent a DR to check. With you being diabetic, would you worry about not having sugar?

s10vsb

Sunhat said:
I do not understand the insuline etc as I am a type 2 on tablets, but if I were asked to leave a town center by the police I would have moved on. Could you not have rung your friend on your mobile phone? That would have saved you and the police a lot of bother. The police have a hell of a job to do with folk getting drunk and being a pain in town centers, especially weekends!
I wasn't allowed to call my friend!! How pathetic is that. Just one phone call was all it took.

s10vsb

donnellysdogs said:
Agree with Hanadr.
Sorry, but as a diabetic, you cannot afford to get so drunk that police or ambulance or hospital staff are placed in this sort of responsibilty. Their concern was to ask you to leave the town, and then they have to have your diabetes laid in as well. At 21.0 you were not in to needing any form of glucose, if you needed it at that high level then you are not in control of managing your diabetes.
I have had help from police after a driving incident (sober) and they were nothing but respectful of my diabetes and me. Yes, I know that police standards can vary as much as all of us in life... However at the end of the day it just seems like an angry get out clause and rant to me for you losing control whilst being drunk.
See the big wide picture of this situation... What if we all type 1's went out and did what you did. It's giving us type 1's that care for their diabetes and their lives a bad name. Plus you were taking additional attention to yourself when it could have been needed for far better emergencys, such as road accidents, and genuinely sick people in A&E.
I think you're just blaming the police for not being in control of your life to be honest, and that is not fair.
You stated you had nothing but respect from the police for your diabetes after your car crash.... So tell the full story. How come you felt the need to mention your diabetes?

s10vsb

Embabe25 said:
Someone who wanted attention and probably doesn't have diabetes. Maybe knows someone who has so knows the terminology.

Em x
No, I'm 'someone' who's type 1 and come to a web site for diabetics for some advise on how to get the law changed so the police have to test diabetics b4 arrest so they don't to waste time and money that could be better spent and not put anyone through what I had to go through.

s10vsb

Embabe25 said:
If you actually had a hypo the police would have actually helped you!

What they did was let you have you're temper tantrum then tested your blood.

You must have really kicked off for them to lift you in the first place! Don't use your illness as a way of getting out if behaving like a tit!

Just saying!

Em x[/quo
No, I didn't kick off. I was turned away from a club then the bouncer gave a wink to the police...I wouldn't leave without my friend and refused a phone call to find her....The seargent even said when I returned to the station due to my bail that things could have been handled differently. They didn't let me have my tantrum then test my blood, I was locked up for 4hrs b4 a Dr came to check. It should be the law that all police stations have a BS monitor to check thier levels....with you being insulin dependent, how would you react being locked in a room without insulin or dextrose without knowing your BS level?

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
The police asked you to leave. Why didn't you walk away, then call your friend ? I have no doubt you weren't scared in the cell but still self inflicted. Not fair to blame the police in my opinion. Lesson learned for all maybe !

s10vsb

AMBrennan said:
Sorry but to my mind the police did everything they could have done
So, you don't think that testing or having her test her BG when she was arrested rather than waiting (possibly hours?) for the doctor to arrive could not possibly have helped - either to spot a hypo or allay her fears?

These are not hypo symptoms!!1eleven
Strangely the NHS disagrees with you.
Signs of more severe hypoglycaemia include:
difficulty concentrating
confusion
disorderly or irrational behaviour, which may be mistaken for drunkenness

You should be thanking the police for looking after your safety and well being and NOT giving you dextrose
Refusing hypo treatments without first excluding a hypo is not "looking after your safety" but negligent. It might not have done any harm this time but what if they do the same to someone who is actually hypoglycemic?
I want ALL police stations to have a BS monitor so the same thing never happens again, so does my GP and A and E. That's what I'm fighting for!!!

On an unrelated note, is there any conflict of interest you might want to declare? Because you seem very determined (e.g. lying about hypo symptoms) to discourage her from making a complaint despite her GP's and Hospital A&E's (alleged) recommendation... :problem:

Mr Happy

I think its somewhat rich to get drunk, ignore the police and then start making demands of them! I agree that a monitor in each station would be relatively cheap but am not sure you are best to represent us, be a bit like Fred West suggesting the plaster work in his cell was poor...

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Selfish people, arseholes who think they know it all, ignoramuses, chavs and people with no manners. People who play music on the bus or train full blast on their phones.
This story gets better and better, or infinitely worse, depending on your viewpoint. If the police took you insulin off you upon arrest, why did they need to drive to your house to get it. You've made your own point, in a way. I can't keep up with the twists and changes in events though. It's like an episode of Lost!
Things could have been better from the police and your own conduct. We've got the gist, but have you got the point about being more responsible for yourself and condition? I hope so, otherwise these ravings will do my head in worse than Sameers. There's plenty of advice, please take some of it on board. I hope you learn better control and there are professionals to coach you if you have lost your way a bit. I appreciate your alarm and worry, but it needn't have got to that point in the first place. I can see both points here from both parties. Look after yourself, eh? We're here to help where we can. All I suggest is that you see the bigger picture instead of one that is based on you. Lessons should be learned here, the police should be made aware of certain conditions and you should ensure you don't allow yourself to be in such a pickle. I wish you well and hope you gain better control and forethought in the future. Diabetes is a pain in the ar$e for everyone, but to ignore it's manifestations and evil ways is sheer folly. Onwards and upwards re: your health! :) take a deep breath before lampooning those trying to help and failing to listen to anothers point of view, please. You may feel indignant, but you must admit you made an error of judgement that evening or you will get nowhere except letting this anger fester away.

Mart.

s10vsb

Elc1112 said:
I had similar problems when I started on Levemir - my sugars would rise/fall a lot during the day and I just couldn't get the balance right. I started splitting the dose, based on advice from my GP, and it has been much better since.

It must be a pain if you don't recognise high blood sugars. Not sure if there is anything that you can do to improve this but I do know that hypo awareness is more likely to return as you stop having so many hypos - wondering whether it's the same for high readings? Anybody know?

Anyway, I lived in Durham for a few years when I was in my early 20s. I seem to remember them having a pretty low tolerance towards anybody who was a little worse for wear. With regards to your experience, it might be worth highlighting the fact that you were worried about what would have happened if your sugars dropped while you were in the cell. Not sure if it will make much of a difference but at least you'll feel like you have done something to stop others being in the same situation. As for taking it to the press, I'm not sure they'd be too interested if I am completely honest. Don't take this the wrong way, but it would be more exciting to a newspaper if you did hypo and if treatment was withheld and, as a result, you ended up in hospital. It's the drama/scandal that sells papers!

I'm sure that most people on this forum have done or said something stupid when they've been drunk in the past. I know I have! You were unlucky in that you got arrested and it's a tough lesson to learn but at least you've come away from it without any war wounds. Learn from it and move on. That's all you can do :)

Em
I have 'War wounds' too!! I've taken photos of my bruises. My GP and A and E saw them and made notes....I also pulled muscles in my voice box through screaming and as a waitress you have to call tables away and shout across the kitchen. My GP told me that after a week without my voice, if I didn't have my voice back within the next wk, I'd have to have a sick note!!!! A proper black and blue bruise on the base of my spine due to being hand cuffed behind my back...why? I wasn't aggressive or abusive. The Sergeant confirmed that was unnecessary. I had big bruises on my thigh and knee and a cut on my knee due to 'Falling' out of the back of the police van. If you had high heels on, a fitted dress and your hands strapped behind your back would you have been able to get out of the van? Bear in mind, there were 3 police officers that took me to the station who obviously didn't help!!! No, I'm not over weight, my BMI is 24.

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Selfish people, arseholes who think they know it all, ignoramuses, chavs and people with no manners. People who play music on the bus or train full blast on their phones.
You Learns yer lessons and moves on.

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
s10vsb said:
Elc1112 said:

Em
I have 'War wounds' too!! I've taken photos of my bruises. My GP and A and E saw them and made notes....I also pulled muscles in my voice box through screaming and as a waitress you have to call tables away and shout across the kitchen. My GP told me that after a week without my voice, if I didn't have my voice back within the next wk, I'd have to have a sick note!!!! A proper black and blue bruise on the base of my spine due to being hand cuffed behind my back...why? I wasn't aggressive or abusive. The Sergeant confirmed that was unnecessary. I had big bruises on my thigh and knee and a cut on my knee due to 'Falling' out of the back of the police van. If you had high heels on, a fitted dress and your hands strapped behind your back would you have been able to get out of the van? Bear in mind, there were 3 police officers that took me to the station who obviously didn't help!!! No, I'm not over weight, my BMI is 24.

You don't say what you'd done to be cuffed and chucked in the van for. Was this also a case of bit too much 'Big kid pop'?

What were the facts apart from being handcuffed and stumbling onto the pavement. Night on the town with your slinky dress and high heels?

Please tell the whole story or it's difficult to make a call, one way or the other.

Hope you're better now, anyway! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.