Pains in my wrists and knees?

misslotty1

Hi ya.
I was just wondering if anyone else suffers from very stiff uncomfortable wrists and knees?

coming down the stairs this morning was very painful. I had to come down sideways.
Im currently on 2000mg metformin. novarapid and levimere.

Diabetes related? i am only 30. 8-O

Sent from my GT-I5500 using DCUK Forum mobile app

crosby1984

Hi there. I also suffer but I have carpal tunnel and due for my next operation. I'm only 28 lol. I also suffer with achey knees. Kneeling I can no longer do. I also get a lot of pain all the way down my leg. I've been diabetic for 7 ish years and I've never had good control

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi there

I too have problems with my knee and wrists, also other in other joints as well, left arm and elbow is getting even more painful. I am not Type 2 though, Type 1 for 24 years. I can still bend down , but I do have pain and stiffness in the knee area, especially after walking or just getting up. Sometimes I come down my stairs one step at a time. I have recently been seen at a musculolskeletal unit, but he told me he thinks it could be neurological and I am been referred back to my GP.

Have either of you seen your GP regarding the pain and discomfort? as Cartilage was mentioned to me, but it doesn't appear to be that. There is also a medical condition called DISH, Diffuse idiopathic Skeletal Hyperostosis that you might be of interest.

Best wishes RRB

misslotty1

Hi, i too am type 1, i think i may have posted in the wrong place.

I have only been diagnosed for around 16 months. It looks like i was in the honeymoon period for a a good couple of years, which is why they thought i was gestational first in 2009 then type2 after lol.
The thing is i have had the best control in the last 3 months! i have had a lot of burning pain in my left shin for a while but the doctor just gave me some ibru gel.
I feel like i can't talk to the doctors with out feeling like a hypcondract(i really can't spell).
I am going to give it 1 week, if Im in a state i Will go back.
Is there any treatment or things i could do at home? sorry you guys are suffering too. X

Vern

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Liars
Hi there!

Are you co-incidentally also taking a Statin or a Diuretic? If you are then please do let me know? Important side effects have just been released which I unfortunately can't share yet, but could be pertinent in your case.

Good luck,

Vern
T2,female, 54 years young.

lrw60

Dislikes
salads, meat, being bored
There is a possibility that statins could be agravating some joints. I don't know if this only applies to people with arthritis or anyone on statins. I stopped taking them about a year ago but it didn't improve my joint pain, it worked for a friend though so he won't take them now (he might have been given a different sort of statin, I will ask him later today). Because I have had bad arthritis attacks over the years, especially in my hips and knees but also many other joints, I had to find something to help. I know that taking cod liver oil capsules can help with joint pain, but I am almost a vegan so I won't take them. Instead, I use pure lavendar oil. Make sure it is the pure stuff and not a dilute mix. Don't rub it on neat though! it has to be mixed with a carrier oil like bath oil or even olive oil, it can then be rubbed onto the affected joint. I also found that adding 4 drops (I used an ear dropper cleaned out) in a hot bath with bubble bath to create an insulation layer on the water really helped. I have been in such pain sometimes that I have temporarily passed out. The lavendar oil baths were the only thing I found that eased the condition. And you smell nice afterwards! Perhaps not the best smell for a big tough builder! :lol:
Lee.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
misslotty1 said:
Hi, i too am type 1, i think i may have posted in the wrong place.

I have only been diagnosed for around 16 months. It looks like i was in the honeymoon period for a a good couple of years, which is why they thought i was gestational first in 2009 then type2 after lol.
The thing is i have had the best control in the last 3 months! i have had a lot of burning pain in my left shin for a while but the doctor just gave me some ibru gel.
I feel like i can't talk to the doctors with out feeling like a hypcondract(i really can't spell).
I am going to give it 1 week, if Im in a state i Will go back.
Is there any treatment or things i could do at home? sorry you guys are suffering too. X

All type of diabetics seem to get some joint pain, but if there is pain and discomfort there is a reason for that, and don't just put up with it. My knee, elbow and fingers, hands and left hip are getting worse and I've been limping today. I just want to get it sorted out, something's not right and if we need to see our GP, then keep going until you can get some proper answers and a possible diagnosis.

Do you get a lot of clicking or cracking in your joints I have been lately ? :(

Take care RRB

dornochian

Vern said:
Hi there!

Are you co-incidentally also taking a Statin or a Diuretic? If you are then please do let me know? Important side effects have just been released which I unfortunately can't share yet, but could be pertinent in your case.

Good luck,

Vern
T2,female, 54 years young.

No disrespect here, but if you have information the general public should know about regarding these, personally I'd tell them....

dornochian

@misslotty, it could be you have Polymyalgia or even Fibromyalgia or heading toward it, i'd suggest being checked for Ploy as that is treatable with steroids.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Dormochian

Fibromayalgia trigger points are not in wrists or knees.....THERE ARE 18 points in back and neck and shoulders that are related to fibro diagnosis. Wrists and knee pain are not factors.

Wrist pain can be carpal tunnel.. I had both hands done, but it can return even after ops. However that would make knee pain a different problem.

It may well be best to explain to gp.. Whether its nights, after specific actions, all the time etc.

I also had palindromic rheumatism that really put agony and lumps anywhere in my body, but the tops of my hands were worst with golf all size lumps that would come up and disappear all within 48 hours. The pain was excruciating. This too 8 years to be diagnosed, and in end it pretty much diasappeared by end of 10years. Flare ups are just about once in 3 years now.

There are huge amounts of reasons for pain, it's a case of talking to gp, asking for relevant tests, and to get pain relief on prescription.

Paincenterny

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

I have suffer in my knee and wrists form long time . I had consult a Doctor about this problem but I have no relief this problem so please give suggestion how get relief pain from this problem .

Last edited by a moderator:

Adelle0607

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Joint pains:

Can be caused by
-high Uric acid levels/ gout
-rheumatism (check for Ana/rh test)
-overweight/wear and tear/old age (stress to the joints)
-carpal tunnel syndrome
-fibromyalgia
-recent flu/illness
-lupus or (autoimmune--check SLE levels)