background retinopathy

bumbles1952

I was diagnosed type 2 in feb with bg at 17.5. Put on 1000mg metformin immediately rising to 2000. Had my first eye check 2 weeks ago and have background retinopathy. Obviously very upsetting as when first diagnosed I assumed that the start of any complications would be much further down the line. My near vision has deteriorated with the diabetes and I experience blurred vision, at times reading can be quite difficult. I wear variofocals but have been told not to replace until bg level is under control. Has anyone experienced similar?

julie42

I was diagnosed the end of November and my first check also came back as background. I went back to the optician and he showed me the picture and where it was. I was also referred to the hospital as my normal eye check picked up high pressure. At 42 I am gutted but I have really got good control on a low carb diet and do not eat anything that pushes me over 7.

I would go and ask about the details, if it is a bleed it can disappear next time. I have an anurysm and that will not go.

My GP suggested I have had my symptoms years, looking back I have felt tired and unwell for years so maybe I have. I now feel the best I have for years so I am sticking to my diet. I have also lost 33lb and back in size 10 which is amazing apart from I can not stop shopping and the bank is looking sorry for it's self.

faircot

bumbles1952 said:
Thanks for the advice Julie, I will ask the question. Have you had any issues with your vision? [/url]

bumbles

Blurred vision is quite common with high BS levels and should resolve itself quite quickly when your levels drop. Don't be tempted to spend big bucks on new glasses because they'll be redundant almost be fore you get them!

Good luck.

garythegob

Had my letter from the eye screening team, I have background as well, but have been told nothing to worry about as there is no treatment for background amount I have got, but have been kept on yearly testing

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I was diagnosed 10 years ago and had moderate retinopathy. I now, after tightly controlled bg have only very minimal changes.
Hana