How many grams of carbs do you have a day?

jennyleach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All processed foods, rice, pasta and potatoes
I started a low carb diet re fed up with feeding my insulin and not feeding my body...guided by some of the comments made on this post and also reading a book by Zoe Harcourt called "why do I overeat" and although I have not followed her book to the letter I have one carb meal a day usually 40 grm porridge oats and 2 protein meals usually made up from fish and chicken and lots of veg and fruits and my blood sugars have dropped from mainly 11-12 to 5-7.5 and my insulin intake of novamix 24 in the morning and 34 in the evening have dropped to 18 in the morning and 18 in the evening! I also joined myfitnessplan online which helps enormously with how many calories, carbs and proteins I am eating.....and as an extra bonus I have lost 12lbs in 4 weeks!......and to say that I have more energy and sparkle is an understatement.....I wish I had done this when I was first diagnosed 8 yrs ago and certainly not listened to some of the rubbish about eating lots of carbs etc. Instead of churning carbs down my neck to keep up with the intake of insulin I am now enjoying tasty and filling carb free meals. I cannot wait for my next Hb1!

Claire87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Brain tumours
Sunshine_Kisses said:
Hey Claire, if you read my new sugar and readings thread you'll see that maybe me and dairy are starting to make friends?! Will defo keep experimenting! :-D

Diagnosed Type 2, 22nd Feb 2013
Hba1c 7.5
Three month trial of managing through diet & exercise.
Low carb, pescatarian
Trying various supplements!

That's fantastic news! Also, if you're a meat eater, you can get a lot of proteins from meat rather than dairy. I'm just a dairy addict because I'm a vegetarian. It's my main protein source.

I got my first diagnosis last week. The nurse had my prescription of insulin ready for me when I got there. Then she weighed me and heard about my diet and checked my blood sugar, and proceeded to tear up the prescription. I've been given 3 months unmedicated to see what I can do with my diet. I think that's a good sign :)

Claire87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Brain tumours
jennyleach said:
I started a low carb diet re fed up with feeding my insulin and not feeding my body...guided by some of the comments made on this post and also reading a book by Zoe Harcourt called "why do I overeat" and although I have not followed her book to the letter I have one carb meal a day usually 40 grm porridge oats and 2 protein meals usually made up from fish and chicken and lots of veg and fruits and my blood sugars have dropped from mainly 11-12 to 5-7.5 and my insulin intake of novamix 24 in the morning and 34 in the evening have dropped to 18 in the morning and 18 in the evening! I also joined myfitnessplan online which helps enormously with how many calories, carbs and proteins I am eating.....and as an extra bonus I have lost 12lbs in 4 weeks!......and to say that I have more energy and sparkle is an understatement.....I wish I had done this when I was first diagnosed 8 yrs ago and certainly not listened to some of the rubbish about eating lots of carbs etc. Instead of churning carbs down my neck to keep up with the intake of insulin I am now enjoying tasty and filling carb free meals. I cannot wait for my next Hb1!

That's great news! I think cutting carbs and caffeine is the most important thing for type 2 diabetics (but then I've only been one for a few weeks). I was astounded by how much weight I can lose when I'm basically stuffing my face all the time, and I found that once I passed the ketosis stage of my diet, I felt amazing. I'll have to check out the book for more recipes :)

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Also doing less than 20 grams of carbs per day. Tip regarding coconut flour, carefully look at carb content, the one lowest in carbs is a brand called Amanprana. The only distributor I found was in Europe (none in UK).

Sunshine_Kisses

Claire87 said:
I got my first diagnosis last week. The nurse had my prescription of insulin ready for me when I got there. Then she weighed me and heard about my diet and checked my blood sugar, and proceeded to tear up the prescription. I've been given 3 months unmedicated to see what I can do with my diet. I think that's a good sign :)

Amazing!! Well done you! :D :thumbup:

I'm in a similar position to you: docs wanted to medicate straight away but have been given three months to see if I can change through diet / lifestyle etc... was stressing a little as although I could get my day readings to the 6's (due to exercise mostly I think) my morning and post dinner readings were still in the 8's or 9's... BUT... these last few days they've been 5's and 6's throughout the whole day - which I'm pretty certain is largely because I've reduced my carbs further this last week to around 40/50g a day... I have also been adding in HiT and taking acai berry, plus grating ginger on everything - so it's probably a combo - and it seems to be working: hoorah! :clap:

Claire87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Brain tumours
Congrats on the success so far :D I'm so glad it's all working for you too. I'm due for my 3 month blood test results in a few days, so I'm hoping the results are good. I dropped 30lbs so far, so it I'm really optimistic about it, possibly a bit too optimistic lol.

GetUnconscious

I haven't cut out carbs entirely but I haven't had ANY refined sugars (unless absolutely necessary) for about 6 weeks and I feel amazing. I do eat bread but choose carefully the types of bread that I eat. If you love the taste of carbs but want a lower carb diet try Canellini beans, mash them and add mustard and black pepper for the best mash! Much higher in protein and lower in carbs than mashed potato. Almonds are a great snack and they lower your blood sugar too. So anyway, this is my first post here. Hi everybody.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mch1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all,

Just reading the posts I noticed a comment on caffeine for type 2 not being too good, I had never heard of this before and no info from my DN, could anyone let me know what the concern is with caffeine,

thanks

LittleWolf

I think 'lo carb' varies from person to person depending on how they always ate, their individual carb sensitivity, how much they eat overall (if you work out percentages) etc etc

There's a lot of debate over low carbing here. Perhaps because everyone is actually doing something different? Some people SUPER low carb and some people think it's counterproductive

I'm not too sure myself but just try to avoid specific foods I definitely know do bad things to my blood sugar but for some it is easier to just slash carbs and not be testing after just about every carby thing that could be bad

Wait. Ignore me. I know nothing >_<

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
LittleWolf said:
I think 'lo carb' varies from person to person depending on how they always ate, their individual carb sensitivity, how much they eat overall (if you work out percentages) etc etc

There's a lot of debate over low carbing here. Perhaps because everyone is actually doing something different? Some people SUPER low carb and some people think it's counterproductive

I think the term 'low-carb' has been lost in translation, I still see it as anything below 50g a day but some say they low-carb when eating as much as 200g a day as it's below the RDA, nothing wrong with that and everyone is free to call it what they want but its great that people can achieve the same success on various amounts of carbs :thumbup:

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
LittleWolf said:

Yes, there are many variables. The term 'carbs' is as vague as the term 'exercise', what kind and how much? Every person has a slightly different metabolism too. You produce a great number of different enzymes which digest carbs and people produce different levels of each, or sometimes, as with lactase, none at all. Unprocessed foods contain many different types of carb, indigestible beta carbs and varying quantities of monosacharides, disacharides and polysacharides. Humans are very different from each other in many ways, height for example. How an individual copes with foods varies too, according to their personal makeup.

zaphod37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudice and bullying
Out of curiosity I, using the my fitness pal database, I calculated I was eating around 200g of carbs most of which came from Warburtons white farmhouse bread and walkers finest.

By changing the bread to Burgen and cutting out the crisps and other processed carp and eating more healthy food I worked out that i have eaten 90g of carbs per day with the exception of Wednesday when it was 94g. I exercise for half an hour brisk walk and the work involved caring for an eldery arthritic mum must be helping too.

Its a fair drop in carbs and my stomach has complained a little but seams to complain less each day. I wont really know for sure if its working enough untill I get my 3 monthly check but hopefully it will help.

Mark