advice

WaG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello
I am seeking some advice as my levels have jumped from 6.8 to 7.5 in the last six months and were as I recognise that the condition is progressive I usually only vary by 0.2. Everything else blood pressure BMI feet cholesterol etc are very good.
I am trying to account for the jump and will be re assessed in 3 months so I am looking at what I can do to get it back down before they put me on another med apart from metformin. I take 4 x 500 per day.
The main changes that I have made leading up to this latest result are as follows:
Taking D3 and Omega 3 capsules = no sugar in them
Replacing semi skimmed milk with whole = and my cholesterol has gone down probably due to the omega 3.
I have had a couple of very nasty viruses one of which was stomach related and these had a knock on effect with my exercise.
I have also been under extreme pressure and work related stress which has led to me drinking more.
I am quiting drinking to see how that goes and will increase exercise.
Any more observations would be very welcome

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Virus will knock your BG control all over the place.
Stress will knock your BG control all over the place - often blamed for the onset of T2.
Lack of exercise will potentially reduce you body's management of BG.

Finally, I find that my figures get worse over the winter and better over the summer - by a lot more than 0.2.

I put this down to lack of activity over the winter and longer indoors in the evenings when there is nothing to do but slump and drink. :oops:

So get back to your normal level of activity and enjoy the long days.

If work is getting very stressful then see what you can do to reduce the stress - including talking to your Human Resources people and pointing out you have T2 and stress can do you long term harm.

HTH

LGC

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I agree with LittleGreyCat. Also, you don't mention diet. Carb intake is more important to diabetics that fat intake, so keep carb portion sizes down. Are your blood readings the HBa1C? Have you got a meter to check your levels occasionally 2 hours after a meal? This will give you some idea of which foods affect you most and by how much. When were you first diagnosed and how old are you?

WaG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Many thanks to you both for your replies.
My blood readings that I gave are HBa1C I am aged 50 and was diagnosed at the age of 47. My diet is pretty good low carb and low GI when I do them.
Does any one know if there is any research re stress contributing to or causing type two diabetes? There is no history in my family and leading up to the time of diagnosis I was extremely stressed which caused me to have palpitations then when I visited my doctor I was diagnosed with type two.

WaG

jumbleannie1VDJQ

Dislikes
Intolerance, airports, having to plan my meals
Like you there is no history of diabetes in the family, and I have never had serious weight issues, but at the time of diagnoses I had been suffering from stress for a good while. The only other factor that I can see is that I had been travelling and had picked up a really nasty stomach bug that lasted on and off for weeks. Do think looking at stress as a possible cause would be a good idea. Have lost the stress factor in my life now and am at present classed as pre diabetic by the doc, though it could just be good control. :lol:

KennyS

I certianly agree with the comments above but unless you have a good tracking log, this comment can get you into real trouble from one HbA1c to the next.... "My diet is pretty good low carb and low GI when I do them." My HbA went from 5.4 to 5.7 from one test to the next simply because I used the information from the previous 3 months to control my diet for the next 3 months but without testing. It is easy for our diet to get away without continual monitoring....

Kenny

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. There is a view that stress can aid the onset of diabetes. I've no family history of diabetes but did have a stressful job until I retired. I also had a vague stomach ache over several months and wonder whether it was mild pancreatitis that knocked out my pancreas?

WaG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Sorry I have been away fron the forum for a few days. Once again thank you to all.
I am hopefully going to get signed off for a while then i can reappraise my stress levels and see what the organisation can do for me.
I am pressing on with the exercise which should help all round.

WaG