How low needs action?

jasperc

Could anyone advise the following please...
My son gets a langue injection at 11pm. What's a comfortable BG level to leave him with at this time?
If I test at 3am (still v new so I would to stop me panicking) what's an ok level then?
Only 1 hypo so far, first thing when he got up, 3.8, he showed no signs!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

cknmonster

3.8 is too low and needs treatment with or without symptoms.

Lantus is slow acting insulin and is used to keep bm results regular without food. During night when testing should ideally be no lower than 5.0.
If hypo is occurring more than 4/5hrs after last eating (morning) I would think about reducing lantus. Xxx

JulesMS

I just wondered why you are testing quite so late at night? My son (13, and diagnosed Type 1 18 months ago) is on Novorapid during the day, and then Levemir last thing at night, but we tend to do his last injection at about 9.30. I generally say that I like to see a final BG reading of at least 4.5 before I let him go to bed (sometimes a battle if he's really tired!) You don't say how old your son is, but if it's any consolation, we are still struggling with levels. Can go for weeks with a nice, steady progress, and the other times he can vary between readings of as low as 1.7 to as high as upper 20s.
I've looked at the differences between Lantus and Levemir and one post says: Levemir had a lower risk of major hypoglycemia and nocturnal hypoglycemia, but the risk of hypoglycemia overall was comparable;
Your diabetes team will have recommeded Lantus for a reason, but as cknmonster says, it might be worth reducing the dose - or certainly speaking to your team about it.
Good luck :)

kimb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My daughter was taking 6 lantus at bedtime but was having night time hypos (they got pretty serious when we had to administer glucagon one night). On the advice of DSN we have changed to 4 units of lantus when she gets up in the morning. So far so good but we are still doing 2am checks. Her insulin:carb ratio was also changed to 1:20

misslotty1

Hi, i have just attended a t1 5 day course. They recommend never going to bed below 6.5 i hope this helps x x

Sent from my GT-I5500 using DCUK Forum mobile app

limiko

If you want to control your child's results and he or she is far away or you want to arrange an immediate contact with the doctor in situations when you're just about to panic try Limiko.pl.
It's an online shareable diary so everyone involved may see your child's results and react when it's needed.

Project co-financed from the European Regional Development Fund in frames of the operational programme Innovative Economy.
Subsides to innovations. We invest in your future.

Balll01

Hi my daughter has 5 units of lantus at 8 o'clock every evening. We we're advised by our diabetic nurse that they like the blood reading to be around 8 or 9 at bedtime. If its low she normally has a hot chocolate to keep her levels up and up to now (touch wood) we haven't had any night time hypos and her bloods have been fine in the morning. My daughter has been diabetic for 6 months so we're still in the learning stage. X

candiloo

I just wonder why he is having it at that time? I have mine at 7pm after dinner, after my other injections and so that I remember. Are you waking him for this? When I sleep, I try to make sure that my level is around 7.5 so that it will take me through the night. If it is going too low, you may need to drop the dosage down, but having mine at 7, for me, means that it has all had a chance to settle before I start work at 10pm and when I am going to sleep at 6am it is not going to disturb me by dropping off as I still have 11 hours of the lantus and will have had breakfast and injected.